* Caption whitespace overflows page
@ 2014-03-26 23:35 Rik Kabel
From: Rik Kabel @ 2014-03-26 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

How can I get rid of the space at the top of the first line of text on
page three in the following MWE. The \setupfloats[spaceafter=none] masks
the problem rather than addresses the problem directly. Playing with the
size of the figures (changing them to 3cm) shows that the  caption text
is not pushed to the second page, just some whitespace imputed to them.
This happens with TL2013 and with the latest (20140325) standalone beta.

I may be able to get away with the figure overflowing into the footnote
space by avoiding footnotes, but the space on the next page is just ugly.

    \setuppapersize[A6]
    \setupexternalfigures[location={local,default}]
    \setupfloats[spaceafter=none]
    \starttext
    \input{knuth}
    \placefigure[left]{Caption}
       {\startcombination[1*3]
         {\externalfigure[cow.pdf][height=2cm]}{cow}
         {\externalfigure[cow.pdf][height=2cm]}{cow}
         {\externalfigure[cow.pdf][height=2cm]}{cow}
       \stopcombination}
    \input{knuth}

    \input{knuth}
    \stoptext

--
Rik Kabel

* Re: Figure whitespace overflows page
@ 2014-07-20 20:33 ` Rik Kabel
From: Rik Kabel @ 2014-07-20 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2014-03-26 19:35, Rik Kabel wrote, originally with the subject
"Caption whitespace overflows page":
> How can I get rid of the space at the top of the first line of text on
> page three in the following MWE. The \setupfloats[spaceafter=none]
> masks the problem rather than addresses the problem directly. Playing
> with the size of the figures (changing them to 3cm) shows that the
> caption text is not pushed to the second page, just some whitespace
> imputed to them. This happens with TL2013 and with the latest
> (20140325) standalone beta.
>
> I may be able to get away with the figure overflowing into the
> footnote space by avoiding footnotes, but the space on the next page
> is just ugly.
>
>     \setuppapersize[A6]
>     \setupexternalfigures[location={local,default}]
>     \setupfloats[spaceafter=none]
>     \starttext
>     \input{knuth}
>     \placefigure[left]{Caption}
>       {\startcombination[1*3]
>         {\externalfigure[cow.pdf][height=2cm]}{cow}
>         {\externalfigure[cow.pdf][height=2cm]}{cow}
>         {\externalfigure[cow.pdf][height=2cm]}{cow}
>       \stopcombination}
>     \input{knuth}
>
>     \input{knuth}
>     \stoptext

Can anyone suggest a fix for this, or declare that there is nothing that
can be done except to change the page content? It is still a problem.

The problem is not with caption space /per se/, but with the space taken
for the figure as a whole. I would think that, once the page with the
figure is finalized, additional reserved whitespace below it can be
discarded.

I did notice that it was also raised without apparent resolution in
March 2007 (http://www.mail-archive.com/ntg-context%40ntg.nl/msg21269.html).

--
Rik Kabel