The following example fails to compile, complaining "Missing { inserted." It compiles cleanly if one or more of the three marked lines are removed. This is the case with TL2013 and with recent standalone beta versions. I do not know if it ever worked. \setuplayout [grid=yes]% line one \definetextbackground[TB][ topoffset=.25em,bottomoffset=.25em,% line two location=paragraph,% line three ] \starttext \startTB prisca iuvent alios ego me nunc denique natum gratulor: haec aetas moribus apta meis. \stopTB \stoptext -- Rik