* Room for comment on the backside of form
@ 2010-09-07 12:26 Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2010-09-07 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am still trying to make a useful environment for paper feedback
forms. One thing I am trying to do now, is to but lines on the back
for when someone needs more space to give the feedback. For this I
made the following macro:
    \def\PageWithComment[#1]{
      \page
      \crlf\crlf
      \thinrules[n=35,inbetween=\vskip1.5ex]
      \page
    }

There are several needed optimisations.
For starters the number of lines is hard coded. Is there a way to
calculate them?

At the moment it is always called with:
    \PageWithComment[Room for extra comments]

What is the best way to set a default? Because most of the time it
will all the time be the same value.

With this setup the pagination has to be done completely manually. Not
very handy. Is there a way that when a new page is generated, the
comment page is inserted before the new page? And also after the last?

An example:
    http://decebal.nl/ConTeXt/sources/feedback-form
and the pdf:
    http://decebal.nl/ConTeXt/sources/feedback-form.pdf

--
Cecil Westerhof
M CLDWesterhof@gmail.com

Please do not send me Microsoft Office/Apple iWork documents.
Send OpenDocument instead! http://fsf.org/campaigns/opendocument/

* Re: Room for comment on the backside of form
@ 2010-09-07 13:35 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-09-07 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 07.09.2010 um 14:26 schrieb Cecil Westerhof:

> I am still trying to make a useful environment for paper feedback
> forms. One thing I am trying to do now, is to but lines on the back
> for when someone needs more space to give the feedback. For this I
> made the following macro:
>    \def\PageWithComment[#1]{
>      \page
>      \crlf\crlf
>      \thinrules[n=35,inbetween=\vskip1.5ex]
>      \page
>    }
>
> There are several needed optimisations.
> For starters the number of lines is hard coded. Is there a way to
> calculate them?

\def\PageWithComment[#1]%
  {\page
   \blank[2*line]
   \getnoflines{\dimexpr\pagegoal-\pagetotal-3\lineheight\relax}
   \thinrules[n=\noflines]
   \page}

%\showframe

\starttext
\PageWithComment[Room for extra comments]
\PageWithComment[\input knuth ]
\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: Room for comment on the backside of form
@ 2010-09-07 15:03   ` Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2010-09-07 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Op dinsdag 7 sep 2010 15:35 CEST schreef Wolfgang Schuster:

>> I am still trying to make a useful environment for paper feedback
>> forms. One thing I am trying to do now, is to but lines on the back
>> for when someone needs more space to give the feedback. For this I
>> made the following macro:
>> \def\PageWithComment[#1]{
>> \page
>> \crlf\crlf
>> \thinrules[n=35,inbetween=\vskip1.5ex]
>> \page
>> }
>>
>> There are several needed optimisations.
>> For starters the number of lines is hard coded. Is there a way to
>> calculate them?
>
> \def\PageWithComment[#1]%
> {\page
> \blank[2*line]
> \getnoflines{\dimexpr\pagegoal-\pagetotal-3\lineheight\relax}
> \thinrules[n=\noflines]
> \page}

I tried something like that, but that generated 32 pages. Had properly
to do with the inbetween.

I changed it to:
    \def\PageWithComment[#1]{
      \page
      \blank
      {\switchtobodyfont[2.3em]
       \getnoflines{\dimexpr\pagegoal-\pagetotal-3\lineheight\relax}
       \thinrules[n=\noflines]
      }
      \page}

For the inbetween by thinrules I use 1.4em, but to get the same space
I need to use here 2.3em. Do not know why.

--

@ 2010-09-07 16:27     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-09-07 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 07.09.2010 um 17:03 schrieb Cecil Westerhof:

> Op dinsdag 7 sep 2010 15:35 CEST schreef Wolfgang Schuster:
>
>>> I am still trying to make a useful environment for paper feedback
>>> forms. One thing I am trying to do now, is to but lines on the back
>>> for when someone needs more space to give the feedback. For this I
>>> made the following macro:
>>> \def\PageWithComment[#1]{
>>> \page
>>> \crlf\crlf
>>> \thinrules[n=35,inbetween=\vskip1.5ex]
>>> \page
>>> }
>>>
>>> There are several needed optimisations.
>>> For starters the number of lines is hard coded. Is there a way to
>>> calculate them?
>>
>> \def\PageWithComment[#1]%
>> {\page
>> \blank[2*line]
>> \getnoflines{\dimexpr\pagegoal-\pagetotal-3\lineheight\relax}
>> \thinrules[n=\noflines]
>> \page}
>
> I tried something like that, but that generated 32 pages. Had properly
> to do with the inbetween.
>
> I changed it to:
>    \def\PageWithComment[#1]{
>      \page
>      \blank
>      {\switchtobodyfont[2.3em]
>       \getnoflines{\dimexpr\pagegoal-\pagetotal-3\lineheight\relax}
>       \thinrules[n=\noflines]
>      }
>      \page}
>
> For the inbetween by thinrules I use 1.4em, but to get the same space
> I need to use here 2.3em. Do not know why.

The number of lines are calculated with the normal line distance
and your extra space is not taken into account by the calculation.

Instead of changing the fontsize you can change the interlinespace
but for vertical distances you should use ex-values and not em-values.

Here is a variant which use the inbetween key and use the value
for the calculation of the lines:

\def\PageWithComment[#1]%
  {\page
   \blank[2*line]
   \scratchcounter\dimexpr(\pagegoal-\pagetotal-2\lineheight)/(\dimexpr\lineheight+2.2ex\relax)\relax
   \thinrules[n=\number\scratchcounter,inbetween={\blank[2.2ex]}]
   \page}

Wolfgang