* eqalign
@ 2019-11-20  8:01 nohop
From: nohop @ 2019-11-20  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Dear All,

The command \eqalign does not work as described under:
   https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Math_with_newmat
as the ampersands are typeset (and the equal signs unaligned).

The following minimal example shows the issue:
-------------
\usemodule[newmat]

\starttext

\startformula
\eqalign{
      A & = x\cr
        & = y\cr}
\stopformula

\stoptext

* Re: eqalign
@ 2019-11-20 11:41 ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2019-11-20 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Indeed in ConTeXt one has better to use \startalign. Please see the excellent explanations by Aditya

	http://dl.contextgarden.net/myway/mathalign.pdf

Best regards: OK

> On 20 Nov 2019, at 09:01, nohop@posteo.org wrote:
>
> Dear All,
>
> The command \eqalign does not work as described under:
>  https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Math_with_newmat
> as the ampersands are typeset (and the equal signs unaligned).
>
> The following minimal example shows the issue:
> -------------
> \usemodule[newmat]
>
> \starttext
>
> \startformula
> \eqalign{
>     A & = x\cr
>       & = y\cr}
> \stopformula
>
> \stoptext

* Re: eqalign
@ 2019-11-22  8:04   ` nohop
From: nohop @ 2019-11-22  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

OK, thanks for the tip! It works indeed.

PS: There appears to be no mention of \startalign in the manual. Is this going to be a stable interface? \eqalign, \eject used to work in ConTeXt.

On November 20, 2019 11:41:09 AM UTC, Otared Kavian <otared@gmail.com> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Indeed in ConTeXt one has better to use \startalign. Please see the
>excellent explanations by Aditya
>
>	http://dl.contextgarden.net/myway/mathalign.pdf
>
>Best regards: OK
>
>> On 20 Nov 2019, at 09:01, nohop@posteo.org wrote:
>>
>> Dear All,
>>
>> The command \eqalign does not work as described under:
>>  https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Math_with_newmat
>> as the ampersands are typeset (and the equal signs unaligned).
>>
>> The following minimal example shows the issue:
>> -------------
>> \usemodule[newmat]
>>
>> \starttext
>>
>> \startformula
>> \eqalign{
>>     A & = x\cr
>>       & = y\cr}
>> \stopformula
>>
>> \stoptext
>> -------------
>>
>> (Issue showing up in context 2019.11.14 17:07.)
>>
>> Best regards.

>> webpage  : http://www.pragma-ade.nl / http://context.aanhet.net
>> archive  : https://bitbucket.org/phg/context-mirror/commits/
>> wiki     : http://contextgarden.net

* Re: eqalign
@ 2019-11-22  8:16     ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2019-11-22  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Indeed \startalign has been there from the beginning (as far as I can remember) and it is stable.
In fact, as expalined by Aditya, you can define your own align environment, for special purposes. for instance I have:

\definemathmatrix[alignedcases]
		[align={right,left,left},
		distance=3pt,
		left={\left\{},
		right={\right.},
		style=\displaystyle]

when I want to put a big brace to the left of a certain number of aligned equations.

Best regards: Otared K.

@ 2019-11-22 12:25     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2019-11-22 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

nohop@posteo.org schrieb am 22.11.2019 um 09:04:
> OK, thanks for the tip! It works indeed.
>
> PS: There appears to be no mention of \startalign in the manual.
Which manual?
Probably: http://dl.contextgarden.net/myway/mathalign.pdf
> \eqalign, \eject used to work in ConTeXt.
1. \eqalign still works but you have to change the meaning of the
ampersand in math mode but I suggest to use \startalign.

\setupmathematics[ampersand=normal]

\starttext

\startformula
\eqalign{
      A & = x\cr
        & = y\cr}
\stopformula

\stoptext

2. There is no need for \eject because we have the \page command.

Wolfgang

* Re: eqalign
@ 2006-02-05  5:04 ` Matthias Weber
From: Matthias Weber @ 2006-02-05  5:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

This will work. I have also tons of \eqalign groups, some of them
nested, and all
seems fine now.

Matthias

On Feb 4, 2006, at 11:08 PM, David Arnold wrote:

> Taco, Hans, et al,
>
> I'm hesitant to upgrade as I have several hundred eqalign groups in
> my work. Can you tell me if this now works in the new version?
>
> %output=pdf
> \starttext
> \placeformula[-]
> \startformula