* LuaTeX-Plain and OTF/TTF Fonts
@ 2014-05-06 14:49 Aire Funvake
From: Aire Funvake @ 2014-05-06 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Dear Group,

Thank you for your time. I'm starting out with TeX/ConTeXt, but
want to arrive via LuaTeX (`luatex-plain.tex/fmt`). Managed to
build, move and use `luatex-plain`. Have the same problem under
MacOSX & Win7 (here is the Win-specific decription -- `%CTX%` is
my ConTeXt root):

Placed some fonts under `%CTX%\tex\texmf-fonts\otf\minion\` &
`%CTX%\tex\texmf-fonts\otf\myriad`. Executed, the following
commands, recognising there might be redundancy, but not sure):

    mtxrun --script fonts --update --force
    mtxrun --script fonts --update --simple
    mtxrun --script fonts --update
    mtxrun --script fonts --list --pattern=minion

Result:

    minionpro             minionprobold      MinionPro-Bold.otf
    minionprobold         minionprobold      MinionPro-Bold.otf
    minionproboldit       minionproboldit    MinionPro-BoldIt.otf
    minionprobolditalic   minionproboldit    MinionPro-BoldIt.otf
    minionproit           minionproit        MinionPro-It.otf
    minionproitalic       minionproit        MinionPro-It.otf
    minionpronormal       minionproit        MinionPro-It.otf
    minionproregular      minionproregular   MinionPro-Regular.otf

`hello.tex` - luatex-plain test file:

    %[luatex-plain] Hello
    %
    font\T =minionproregular at 12pt\T
    Hello world.
    \bye

Executed:

    luatex-plain hello.tex

Result:

    fonts : font with asked name 'minionproregular'
      is not found using lookup 'name'
    fonts : unknown font 'minionproregular', loading aborted
    ! Font \ch=minionproregular at 12pt not loadable:
      metric data not found or bad.

Looked in `%CTX%\tex\texmf-cache\luatex-cache\generic\fonts\data`
at the file `luatex-font-names.lua`. The fonts were listed. Then
deleted the `luatex-font-names.luc` file, added the full paths
to the fonts in front of all the file names in the `.lua` file.

Running `luatex-plain hello.tex` again, works now as expected (it
seems to recreate the `luatex-font-names.luc` automatically).

Setting `OSFONTDIR` before font update and/or before running
`luatex-plain`, have no observable effect.

So, I do have a manual fix/solution. But is there an easier way?

Thanks in advance,

--
Aíre Funvake

* Re: LuaTeX-Plain and OTF/TTF Fonts
@ 2014-05-06 19:13 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2014-05-06 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 5/6/2014 4:49 PM, Aire Funvake wrote:
> Dear Group,
>
> Thank you for your time. I'm starting out with TeX/ConTeXt, but
> want to arrive via LuaTeX (`luatex-plain.tex/fmt`). Managed to
> build, move and use `luatex-plain`. Have the same problem under
> MacOSX & Win7 (here is the Win-specific decription -- `%CTX%` is
> my ConTeXt root):
>
> Placed some fonts under `%CTX%\tex\texmf-fonts\otf\minion\` &
> `%CTX%\tex\texmf-fonts\otf\myriad`. Executed, the following
> commands, recognising there might be redundancy, but not sure):
>
>      mtxrun --script fonts --update --force
>      mtxrun --script fonts --update --simple
>      mtxrun --script fonts --update
>      mtxrun --script fonts --list --pattern=minion
>
> Result:
>
>      minionpro             minionprobold      MinionPro-Bold.otf
>      minionprobold         minionprobold      MinionPro-Bold.otf
>      minionproboldit       minionproboldit    MinionPro-BoldIt.otf
>      minionprobolditalic   minionproboldit    MinionPro-BoldIt.otf
>      minionproit           minionproit        MinionPro-It.otf
>      minionproitalic       minionproit        MinionPro-It.otf
>      minionpronormal       minionproit        MinionPro-It.otf
>      minionproregular      minionproregular   MinionPro-Regular.otf
>
> `hello.tex` - luatex-plain test file:
>
>      %[luatex-plain] Hello
>      %
>      font\T =minionproregular at 12pt\T
>      Hello world.
>      \bye
>
> Executed:
>
>      luatex-plain hello.tex
>
> Result:
>
> fonts : font with asked name 'minionproregular'
>        is not found using lookup 'name'
>      fonts : unknown font 'minionproregular', loading aborted
>      ! Font \ch=minionproregular at 12pt not loadable:
>        metric data not found or bad.
>
> Looked in `%CTX%\tex\texmf-cache\luatex-cache\generic\fonts\data`
> at the file `luatex-font-names.lua`. The fonts were listed. Then
> deleted the `luatex-font-names.luc` file, added the full paths
> to the fonts in front of all the file names in the `.lua` file.
>
> Running `luatex-plain hello.tex` again, works now as expected (it
> seems to recreate the `luatex-font-names.luc` automatically).
>
> Setting `OSFONTDIR` before font update and/or before running
> `luatex-plain`, have no observable effect.
>
> So, I do have a manual fix/solution. But is there an easier way?

I assume you made a plain format with:

   mtxrun --script plain --make

Then, does this work:

   mtxrun --script plain luatex-test

okay?

Hans
                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2014-05-06 19:51   ` Aíre Funvake
From: Aíre Funvake @ 2014-05-06 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue May  6 21:13:43 2014, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 5/6/2014 4:49 PM, Aire Funvake wrote:
>> Dear Group,
>>
>> Thank you for your time. I'm starting out with TeX/ConTeXt, but
>> want to arrive via LuaTeX (`luatex-plain.tex/fmt`). Managed to
>> build, move and use `luatex-plain`. Have the same problem under
>> MacOSX & Win7 (here is the Win-specific decription -- `%CTX%` is
>> my ConTeXt root):

>> Setting `OSFONTDIR` before font update and/or before running
>> `luatex-plain`, have no observable effect.
>>
>> So, I do have a manual fix/solution. But is there an easier way?
>
> I assume you made a plain format with:
>
>   mtxrun --script plain --make
>
> Then, does this work:
>
>   mtxrun --script plain luatex-test
>
> okay?
>
> Hans
> 8<-----------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Hans,

No, I made it with `luatex --ini luatex-plain.fmt` and copied
the resulting `.fmt` file. But, I executed the first command
just now, just to be sure, and then ran the next command:
`mtxrun --script plain luatex-test`. Result:

\write18 enabled.
tex/texmf-cache/luatex-cache/generic/fonts/data/luatex-fonts-names.luc)(load
luc
:
c:/ctx/tex/texmf-cache/luatex-cache/generic/fonts/otf/lmroman10-bold.luc)<unkn
own font in database, run: mtxrun --script fonts --reload --simple>
! LuaTeX error
...ntext/tex/generic/context/luatex/luatex-fonts-merged.lua:6213:
 attempt to index field 'known' (a nil value).
<to be read again>
\par
l.33

?R<enter>

After `R`, it did produced `luatex-test.pdf`. Not sure if it
looks the way it should ... couple of overfull boxes, narrow
third page.

Either way, I updated the fonts again as above, checked that
it recreated the `luatex-fonts-names.lua` file like before.
If I delete the old `luatex-fonts-names.luc`, the next run of
`luatex-plain hello.tex` produces the same result. Added the
paths to the fonts in `luatex-fonts-names.lua` (minion &
myriad), ran `luatex-plain hello.tex` again ... and all is fine.

Further experimentation: Copied the "Source Sans Pro" fonts to
a subdirectory alongside the `minion` and `myriad` directories,
(`%CTX%\tex\texmf-fonts\otf\sourcesans`), and again updated the
fonts database(s). Upon inspection of `luatex-fonts-names.lua`,
the Source Sans fonts and files are listed, but they *did* have
the path prefixed to the font file names, and consequently, I
could use them without modifying `luatex-fonts-names.lua`.

Thank you for your reply. I'm convinced this is no bug, just my
inexperience at play. This is not a crippling problem. I can
tackle The TeXbook now.

Regards,
Aíre Funvake.