* ConTeXt Garden Examples Maintenance
@ 2014-05-17  5:43 Thangalin
From: Thangalin @ 2014-05-17  5:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

The ConText Garden wiki has numerous short example sprinkled
throughout its pages. I presume that they are hard-coded in the page.
if the example breaks (due to a ConTeXt bug or backwards-incompatible
enhancement), I imagine there is no notification.

What do you think about creating a repository of examples that are
included by embedding a website address instead of direct text? For
example:

1. User visits wiki.
2. User edits a page (e.g., Command/setuphead).
3. User names and uploads a .tex document.
4. System generates unique hyperlink for .tex document.
5. System generates and includes embed code into wiki page, such as:

<context href="http://wiki.contextgarden.net/context/examples/file.tex" />
<context href="/context/examples/file.tex" />

Also, source="yes" and mode="mkiv" should be the default. Then, if the
person editing the page wants to include the output, the full example
might resemble:

  <context href="/context/examples/file.tex">
  This produces:
  <context output="yes" href="/context/examples/file.tex">

Having the complete examples separated allows the snippets to be
tested automatically. Broken .tex examples (unless explicitly flagged)
would result in notifications being sent to the page maintainer(s). A
broken example could be flagged as:

  <context notify="no" href="/context/examples/file.tex">

Another advantage is that all the examples could be downloaded and
possibly referenced in other media.

Kindest regards.

* Re: ConTeXt Garden Examples Maintenance
@ 2014-05-17 11:45 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2014-05-17 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 5/17/2014 7:43 AM, Thangalin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The ConText Garden wiki has numerous short example sprinkled
> throughout its pages. I presume that they are hard-coded in the page.
> if the example breaks (due to a ConTeXt bug or backwards-incompatible
> enhancement), I imagine there is no notification.
>
> What do you think about creating a repository of examples that are
> included by embedding a website address instead of direct text? For
> example:
>
> 1. User visits wiki.
> 2. User edits a page (e.g., Command/setuphead).
> 3. User names and uploads a .tex document.
> 4. System generates unique hyperlink for .tex document.
> 5. System generates and includes embed code into wiki page, such as:
>
> <context href="http://wiki.contextgarden.net/context/examples/file.tex" />
> <context href="/context/examples/file.tex" />
>
> Also, source="yes" and mode="mkiv" should be the default. Then, if the
> person editing the page wants to include the output, the full example
> might resemble:
>
>    <context href="/context/examples/file.tex">
>    This produces:
>    <context output="yes" href="/context/examples/file.tex">
>
> Having the complete examples separated allows the snippets to be
> tested automatically. Broken .tex examples (unless explicitly flagged)
> would result in notifications being sent to the page maintainer(s). A
> broken example could be flagged as:
>
>    <context notify="no" href="/context/examples/file.tex">
>
> Another advantage is that all the examples could be downloaded and
> possibly referenced in other media.

Makes sense, but someone needs to coordinate that, read: you. I suggest
you discuss it with Sietse who is in charge if the wiki. Also, Mojca has
to agree on the structure of things.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE