From: Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>
To: ntg-context@ntg.nl
Subject: Re: Problem with \framed align and orientation on landscape pages
Date: Sun, 25 May 2014 22:40:56 +0200	[thread overview]

On 5/25/2014 7:06 PM, Rik Kabel wrote:
> On 2014-05-25 00:12, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>>

>> On May 24, 2014, at 1:12 PM, Rik Kabel <context@rik.users.panix.com
>> <mailto:context@rik.users.panix.com>> wrote:

>>> Thank you, Hans. That pointed me in the right direction, although it
>>> is not the solution in my case.
>>>
>>> The problem was with align=no. It does not, as I surmised, lead to
>>> the same result as having no align key at all. The following shows
>>> the differences clearly. What I am after is the fifth page. I would
>>> think that the wiki is incorrect in stating that the default value
>>> for the align key is no, but I do not know what is the proper
>>> description of the default.
>>>
>>>     \setuppapersize [A5,landscape][A4]
>>>     \definebodyfontenvironment [default][d=6]
>>>     \showframe
>>>     \starttext
>>>     \framed[align=no]{\tfd 1}
>>>     \page
>>>     \framed[]{\tfd 2}
>>>     \page
>>>     \framed[orientation=90,align=no,width=\textheight]{\tfd 3}
>>>     \page
>>>     \framed[orientation=90,align=no]{\tfd 4}
>>>     \page
>>>     \framed[orientation=90]{\tfd 5}
>>>     \stoptext
>>>

>> Without any align key, \framed is a \hbox; with align it is a \vbox.
>> That might explain the difference that you see. Try adding
>> \dontleavehmode in front of \framed
>>
>> Aditya
>
> Alas, Aditya, \dontleavehmode does not appear to make a difference.
>
> I think that we might expect frames 1 and 4 above to produce similar
> results, as do frames 2 and 5. They do not, and I am trying to
> understand why that is.
>
> The fact that it is landscape just exacerbates the problem, pushing some
> of the text off the page. Remove that and the differences are still
> there; the text is still on the page although not where I expect it.
> Hans's resetting of the width does make the landscape result the same as
> the portrait result, with the frame pushed just to the lower edge of the
> text area, but it does not address the different treatment with and
> without align.

it's a different issue

one of the 'features' of framed is that (in mkii as well as mkiv) it can
determine the minimum width of a paragraph and orientation doesn't work
well with that

in the source you will find a comment:

\pack_framed_stop_orientation % hm, wrong place ! should rotate the
result (after reshape)

if you move that line to after

    \edef\p_framed_empty{\framedparameter\c!empty}%
    \ifx\p_framed_empty\v!yes
      \pack_framed_fake_box
    \fi
\pack_framed_stop_orientation % here

you get what you expected ... but ... such a change can only happen when
we're sure it work out okay always

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE