From: Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>
Subject: Re: Quotation blocs with repetition symbol in the left column
Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2014 17:18:39 +0200	[thread overview]

On 6/1/2014 1:38 PM, Stéphane Goujet wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Mar 2014, Stéphane Goujet wrote:
>
>>  I am trying to typeset old books and I chose to keep close to the
>> original typography.
>> =================
>> 1) It must work when starting from a new line as well as when starting
>> from the middle of the current line. 2 different environments are
>> allowed.
>>
>> 2) The environnement is wrapped in guillemets.
>>
>> 3a) There must be no extra space before the opening guillemet when
>> starting from the middle of the current line.
>>
>> 3b) The must be no extra space after the closing guillemet.
>>
>> 4) The quote repetition symbol must appear in the beginning of every
>> line, except the first one.
>>
>> 5) Paragraphs should be automatically indented. Manual indentation is
>> bearable.
>>
>> 6a) When there is an indentation, the quote repetition symbol must be
>> indented too.
>>
>> 6b) When the bloc starts on a new line, the opening guillemet must be
>> indented.
>>
>> 7) The quote repetition symbol must be a setup parameter of the
>> environment, or easily modifiable within the environment definition.
>> (in the example images, it is a *closing* guillemet, but in other books
>> it can be an *opening* guillemet).
>>
>> 8) This environment must work within footnotes too.
> this command : \localleftbox{}
>
>    So, the quotation block would be :
>
> ================
> \define\qbopen{«}
> \define\qbrep{»}
> \define\qbclose{»}
> \definestartstop
>     [bloccite]
>     [before=\qbopen~\begingroup\localleftbox{\qbrep~},
>      after=\endgroup~\qbclose]
> ================
>
>    Might need a bit of kerning to have all spaces look good, but
> basically, this is it. Just this...

In fact, you loose some of the advantages of quotations, so best is to
extend the delimiter code. I've added this:

\mainlanguage[fr]

\starttext

\input tufte

\startquotation
     \input tufte
\stopquotation

\input tufte

\setupdelimitedtext
   [quotation]
   [nextleft=right,
    nextright=left]

\startquotation
     \input tufte
\stopquotation

\input tufte

\setupdelimitedtext
   [quotation]
   [nextleft={\symbol[nextleftquotation]},
    nextright={\symbol[nextrightquotation]}]

\startquotation
     \input tufte
\stopquotation

\input tufte

\stoptext

Will be in the next beta (not yet uploaded) and needs to be wikified.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE