* Bibliography: only surname in small caps
@ 2014-06-30 13:08 Joshua Krämer
From: Joshua Krämer @ 2014-06-30 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context-wvrSQK3plZs

Dear list,

I would like to have in a bibliography only surnames in small
capitals, like this:

MÜLLER, B. and SCHNEIDER A.

(Müller and Schneider appear in small caps, but everything else
like "and" is still in the default typeface.)

At the moment, I'm using the old bibliography system.  I am a bit
overwhelmed by the new system, because I would have to setup everything
from the beginning, as I have setup my layouts with
\setuppublicationlayout.

Now my questions are:

Is it possible to achieve what I want (SC surnames) with the old and the
new system?

If I would do it with the old system, am I right that I would have to
redefine \normalauthor or define my own authorcommand?

How could it be done with the new system?  I've tried to understand the
file "publ-imp-apa.mkvi", but there's only an "author" value, and I
don't understand how to access the name components (first name, last
name etc.).

Thanks and kind regards,
Joshua

* Re: Bibliography: only surname in small caps
@ 2014-06-30 14:24 ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2014-06-30 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 30 Jun 2014, at 15:08, Joshua Krämer <joshua.kraemer@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> I would like to have in a bibliography only surnames in small
> capitals, like this:
>
> MÜLLER, B. and SCHNEIDER A.
>
> (Müller and Schneider appear in small caps, but everything else
> like "and" is still in the default typeface.)
>
> At the moment, I'm using the old bibliography system.  I am a bit
> overwhelmed by the new system, because I would have to setup everything
> from the beginning, as I have setup my layouts with
> \setuppublicationlayout.
>
> Now my questions are:
>
> Is it possible to achieve what I want (SC surnames) with the old and the
> new system?

Yes, in principle.

> If I would do it with the old system, am I right that I would have to
> redefine \normalauthor or define my own author command?

You would define your own command. Something like

\def\myinvertedauthor#1#2#3#4#5%
    {{\sc #3}%
    \bibdoif{#1}{\bibalternative{surnamesep}#4\unskip}%
    \bibdoifelse{#2}{\bibalternative{vonsep}#2\unskip}{\unskip}%
    \bibdoifelse{#5}{\bibalternative{juniorsep}#5\unskip}{\unskip}%
}

> How could it be done with the new system?  I've tried to understand the
> file "publ-imp-apa.mkvi", but there's only an "author" value, and I
> don't understand how to access the name components (first name, last
> name etc.).

The interface isn’t finished yet, so you’ll have to wait a bit. But this is a good occasion to remind Hans that formatting needs for bibliographies can vary widely, so we need as much configurability as possible.

Thomas

* Re: Bibliography: only surname in small caps
@ 2014-06-30 19:24   ` Joshua Krämer
From: Joshua Krämer @ 2014-06-30 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context-wvrSQK3plZs

On 2014-06-30, 16:24, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

> You would define your own command. Something like
>
> \def\myinvertedauthor#1#2#3#4#5%
>     {{\sc #3}%
>     \bibdoif{#1}{\bibalternative{surnamesep}#4\unskip}%
>     \bibdoifelse{#2}{\bibalternative{vonsep}#2\unskip}{\unskip}%
>     \bibdoifelse{#5}{\bibalternative{juniorsep}#5\unskip}{\unskip}%
> }

Thanks for your answer, Thomas.  This is how I've done it now:

\unprotect\def\myinvertedshortauthor#1#2#3#4#5%
  {\bibdoif{#2}{#2\bibalternative\c!vonsep}%
   {\smallcaps #3}%
   \bibdoif{#5}{\bibalternative\c!juniorsep#5}%
   \bibdoif{#4}{\bibalternative\c!surnamesep#4\unskip}}
\protect

\setuppublicationlist [artauthor=\myinvertedshortauthor,
author=\myinvertedshortauthor, editor=\myinvertedshortauthor]

It works perfectly.

I'm looking forward to the new bibliography system, but on the other
hand, I'm glad I can stick with the old system for this project,
because everything else is already set up as needed.

@ 2014-07-01  0:39   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2014-07-01  0:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

> The interface isn’t finished yet, so you’ll have to wait a bit. But this is a good occasion to remind Hans that formatting needs for bibliographies can vary widely, so we need as much configurability as possible.

Sure, it ill be configureable (using setups) ... but it will overflow
your filled up to-be-tested stack so I have time left to implement it.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2014-06-30 19:34   ` Joshua Krämer
From: Joshua Krämer @ 2014-06-30 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context-wvrSQK3plZs

On 2014-06-30, 19:36, Robert Blackstone wrote:

> There a in fact two tricks. The first is to put everything in the
> "booklet" category and enter everything except author names, year of
> publication and city (or publisher) in the title. The second is to
> make a .bbl file and edit that, including ordering small caps where
> you want them, just as in a normal .tex-file. In your project you
> input the edited .bbl-file, not the .bib-file.

Thanks for your answer, Robert.  But I'm reluctant to do such manual
hacks.  In this case, they would not make sense anyway, because my
database is too big (more than 200 entries), and I pull the entries from
Medline, I don't create them myself.  Minor tweaks are possible, but I
can't rearrange and manually format all the entries.

Anyway, it works now automatically (see my other mail), with a minimum
of work. That's why I love ConTeXt and automatic typesetting.  (-:

       [not found] <mailman.340.1404142408.2240.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2014-06-30 17:36 ` Robert Blackstone
From: Robert Blackstone @ 2014-06-30 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 30 jun. 2014, at 17:33,  Joshua Kr?mer <joshua.kraemer@gmail.com> wrote

> I would like to have in a bibliography only surnames in small
> capitals, like this:
>
> M?LLER, B. and SCHNEIDER A.
>
> (M?ller and Schneider appear in small caps, but everything else
> like "and" is still in the default typeface.)
>
> At the moment, I'm using the old bibliography system.  …

> Is it possible to achieve what I want (SC surnames) with the old and the
> new system?

Hi Joshua,
I suspect it can be done in the old system, albeit by some tricks that are maybe unworthy of ConTeXt.
I have not tried using small caps because I use a font that does't have them but I think it would be doable.

There a in fact two tricks. The first is to put everything in the "booklet" category and enter everything except author names, year of publication and city (or publisher) in the title.
The second is to make a .bbl file and edit that, including ordering small caps where you want them, just as in a normal .tex-file. In your project you input the edited .bbl-file, not the .bib-file.

This way you can use all the nice  mechanisms of ConTeXt for citing, footnotes and bibliography without having to bother with the tweaking of codes.

I have done it this way for my wife's PhD thesis and it works perfectly.

Best regards,
Robert Blackstone