From: Keith McKay <mckaymeister@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: ConTeXt epub workflow
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2014 08:41:46 +0100	[thread overview]

Dear Idris

If your document is simple I would consider the following workflow. I
use this method for simple novels to produce both ePubs and Kindle
output relatively quickly from a word docs which authors send me.

Load the word doc into OpenOffice and save in OpenOffice format (.odt).
Using the Writer2ePub extension in OpenOffice convert to ePub. You will
get a reasonable looking ePub if you have taken a little care to style
the document beforehand. Load the ePub into Sigil and tidy up the ePub.
I Usually split the ePub into Chapters, embed fonts and add any images
where I want them to go at this point. Once you are happy with the ePub
you should test it on the various eReaders to make sure it looks as
expected, don't be surprised to see differences and you may have to
create different ePubs for the different eReaders. I have to do that for
iBooks and Kobo eReaders. The idpf have an online ePub validator for
ePubs which you should use to check for ePub standard compliance. Adobe
Digital Editions is a useful tool here. You can now convert it into
Kindle format using Kindle Previewer. If it requires changes, do that in
Sigil and then run through Kindle Previewer again.

To get pdf output I have been experimenting with pandoc quite recently
with some success. I take the ePub and rename as a zip file and open it
to expose its directory structure. Using pandoc I convert it to ConText
code and tidy up a wee bit but, on the whole, Pandoc gives a not bad
conversion even if images are present. Again you will probably have to
tidy up the Context code and play about with fonts etc.

This workflow looks a wee bit complicated but it does work well once you
get the hang of it. I had originally tried using the Context to ePub but
as previous correspondents have intimated you only get xml output rather
than xhtml which is what eReaders require.

If you need help feel free to email me privately.

Best Wishes
Keith McKay
Hamilton, Scotland