From: Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>
Subject: Re: ConTeXt epub workflow
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2014 10:45:03 +0200	[thread overview]

On 7/2/2014 11:12 PM, Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس   سماوي حامد wrote:
> Dear gang,
>
> I have an urgent project that needs three outputs: pdf, epub, and
> kindle. The formatting needs are pretty basic. In your experience:
>
> What is the recommended, more efficient workflow for this sort of thing?
> Should I start with markdown and then generate context and epub (then
> convert epub=>kindle I presume)? Or does one context file with pdf and
> epub outputs work well? Many years ago I did some documents in ConTeXt
> with both print and screen pdfs from a single source. Can we do the
> latter in ConTeXt now? Does anyone have any examples?

the export is xml reflecting the structure etc and as the whole idea of
xml is that it can be transformed one can map that to anything needed

there is mtx-epub but i need to look into that again as one problem with
epub is that all these substandards and devices differ a bit

context can produce xhtml which then with a css can be viewed in full
blown browsers (i used mozilla) although for some constructs (like
hyperlinks) html like thingies have to be used (not part of css)

as xhtml is not becoming the standard it should be, i'm considering a
variant output where everything is a <div> or <span> which then even
more moves things to css (outputting html tags makes no sense as we then
would end up in tag abuse due to the limited number of tags)

> According to
>
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/epub
>
> There is no support for graphics in ConTeXt epub output. Are there
> workarounds?

all relevant info is embedded and output (with a css mapping to graphics
that one can supply as png/jpg/whatever)

> In any case, all advice for an efficient workflow for this project will
> be greatly appreciated!

(luigi is working on some stuff that transforms the export into wiki
pages for the garden, e.g. the new publications manual)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE