* centering & fit question
@ 2009-02-13 15:03 Alan Stone
From: Alan Stone @ 2009-02-13 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

In the underneath example, the only way I found to have everything
horizontally and vertically centered in the text and margin header,
as well as fit into the margin header, is as follows:

\setuplayout[margin=3cm]

\showframe

\def\myText{%
% \hfill some text \hfill}
%\starthiding
   \framed[%
    width=\textwidth,
    height=\headerheight,
    align=middle,
    top=\vss,
    bottom=\vss,
    frame=off]
    {some text}}
%\stophiding

\def\myMarginText{%
% \hfill this is some margin text \hfill}
%\starthiding
   \framed[%
    width=\marginwidth,
    height=\headerheight,
    align=middle,
    top=\vss,
    bottom=\vss,
    frame=off]
    {this is some longer margin text}}
%\stophiding

\setuppagenumbering[location=footer]

%\setupheader[%
% before=\vss,
% after=\vss]

\setupheadertexts[text]
 [\myText]
 [\myText]

\setupheadertexts[margin]
 [\myMarginText]
 [\myMarginText]

\starttext
test
\stoptext

What's the way to get the same result without using \framed
and without making the margin wider ?

Uncommenting what's commented in the code above centers
everything ok, but the margin text doesn't fit.

Thanks.

--
Best,
Alan

* TeX engine = LuaTeX
* ConTeXt  minimals ver: 2009.01.18 14:39 MKIV  fmt: 2009.1.22  int:
english/english
* Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron, Windows XP SP3 Home

* Re: centering & fit question
@ 2009-02-13 19:21 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-02-13 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 13.02.2009 um 16:03 schrieb Alan Stone:

> Hello,
>
> In the underneath example, the only way I found to have everything
> horizontally and vertically centered in the text and margin header,
> as well as fit into the margin header, is as follows:

[..]

> What's the way to get the same result without using \framed
> and without making the margin wider ?
>
> Uncommenting what's commented in the code above centers
> everything ok, but the margin text doesn't fit.

You text is too long and you need a vertical box to break
the along lines.

\setuplayout[margin=3cm]

%\showframe

\def\myText
   {\hfill some text \hfill}

\def\myMarginText
   {\hbox{$\vcenter{\vbox{\raggedcenter this is some margin text}}$}}

\def\myMarginText
   {\framed
      [location=middle,
       align=middle,
       width=\hsize,
       frame=off]
      {this is some margin text}}

\setuppagenumbering[location=footer]

\setupheader
   [before=\vss,
    after=\vss]

\setupheadertexts
   [text]
   [\myText]
   [\myText]

\setupheadertexts
   [margin]
   [\myMarginText]
   [\myMarginText]

\starttext
test
\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: centering & fit question
@ 2009-02-13 20:16   ` Alan Stone
From: Alan Stone @ 2009-02-13 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 8:21 PM, Wolfgang Schuster <
schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Am 13.02.2009 um 16:03 schrieb Alan Stone:
>
> Hello,
>>
>> In the underneath example, the only way I found to have everything
>> horizontally and vertically centered in the text and margin header,
>> as well as fit into the margin header, is as follows:
>>

> [..]
>
> What's the way to get the same result without using \framed
>> and without making the margin wider ?
>>
>> Uncommenting what's commented in the code above centers
>> everything ok, but the margin text doesn't fit.
>>

> You text is too long and you need a vertical box to break
> the along lines.
>
> \setuplayout[margin=3cm]
>
> %\showframe
>
> \def\myText
>  {\hfill some text \hfill}
>
> \def\myMarginText
>  {\hbox{$\vcenter{\vbox{\raggedcenter this is some margin text}}$}}
>
> \def\myMarginText
>  {\framed
>     [location=middle,
>      align=middle,
>      width=\hsize,
>      frame=off]
>     {this is some margin text}}

Thanks Wolfgang. I don't understanf the use of location=middle though...

\starttext

\framed[%
 location=middle,
 align=middle,
 height=5cm,
 width=\hsize,
 frame=on]
 {some text}

\framed[%
 align=middle,
 height=5cm,
 width=\hsize,
 frame=on]
 {some text}

\stoptext

> \setuppagenumbering[location=footer]
>
> \setupheader
>  [before=\vss,
>   after=\vss]
>
> \setupheadertexts
>  [text]
>  [\myText]
>  [\myText]
>
> \setupheadertexts
>  [margin]
>  [\myMarginText]
>  [\myMarginText]
>
> \starttext
> test
> \stoptext
>
> Wolfgang

* Re: centering & fit question
@ 2009-02-13 20:43     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-02-13 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 13.02.2009 um 21:16 schrieb Alan Stone:

> Thanks Wolfgang. I don't understanf the use of location=middle
> though...
>
> \starttext
>
> \framed[%
> location=middle,
> align=middle,
> height=5cm,
> width=\hsize,
> frame=on]
> {some text}
>
> \framed[%
> align=middle,
> height=5cm,
> width=\hsize,
> frame=on]
> {some text}
>
> \stoptext

You need text before/after the box to see the effect of location.

\def\showbox#1%
   {\ruledvbox{#1: text \framed[location=#1,width=1cm,align=right]
{text text text} text}}

\starttext
\showbox{normal}
\showbox{middle}