* Wrong page break in sequence of headings
@ 2014-09-11 11:50 Jean-Philippe Rey
From: Jean-Philippe Rey @ 2014-09-11 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear all,

I have a problem with page breaking in a sequence of titles (for example chapter, section, subsection) : a page break can occur between titles. I tested this with the last beta version

  ConTeXt  ver: 2014.09.06 20:59 MKIV beta

with the following example

% ------------- Start of example -----------------------------
\setuphead[chapter][page=no]

\starttext

\chapter{Chap 1}

\section{Bryson}

\input bryson

\section{Davis}

\input davis

\section{filler 1}

Ipsam vero urbem Byzantiorum fuisse refertissimam atque ornatissimam signis quis
ignorat? Quae illi, exhausti sumptibus bellisque maximis, cum omnis Mithridaticos
impetus totumque Pontum armatum affervescentem in Asiam atque erumpentem,
ore repulsum et cervicibus interclusum suis sustinerent, tum, inquam, Byzantii et
postea signa illa et reliqua urbis ornanemta sanctissime custodita tenuerunt. Equitis
Romani autem esse filium criminis loco poni ab accusatoribus neque his iudicantibus
oportuit neque defendentibus nobis. Nam quod de pietate dixistis, est quidem ista
nostra existimatio, sed iudicium certe parentis; quid nos opinemur, audietis ex iuratis;
quid parentes sentiant, lacrimae matris incredibilisque maeror, squalor patris
%et haec praesens maestitia, quam cernitis, luctusque declarat. Vita est illis semper
%in fuga uxoresque mercenariae conductae ad tempus ex pacto atque, ut sit species
%matrimonii, dotis nomine futura coniunx hastam et tabernaculum offert marito,
%post statum diem si id elegerit discessura, et incredibile est quo ardore apud eos in
%venerem uterque solvitur sexus.

\chapter{Chap 2}

\section{Dawkins}

\input dawkins

\section{Douglas}

\input douglas

\section{filler 2}

Soleo saepe ante oculos ponere, idque libenter crebris usurpare sermonibus, omnis
%nostrorum imperatorum, omnis exterarum gentium potentissimorumque populorum,
%omnis clarissimorum regum res gestas, cum tuis nec contentionum magnitudine
%nec numero proeliorum nec varietate regionum nec celeritate conficiendi nec
%dissimilitudine bellorum posse conferri; nec vero disiunctissimas terras citius passibus
%cuiusquam potuisse peragrari, quam tuis non dicam cursibus, sed victoriis lustratae sunt.

\section{Group 1}

\subsection{Hawking}

\input hawking

\subsection{Knuth}

\input knuth

\section{Linden}

\input linden

\stoptext
% ------------- End of example -----------------------------

I get the "Chap 2" title at the end of the first page, it should be on top of the second page. Similarly the "Group 1" title is located at the bottom of the second page.

I tried to use \startsection ... \stopsection but got the same result.

Is there a setup to get the page breaks right ? Or is this a bug ?

Thank you for your help.

--
Jean-Philippe Rey                 Professeur - École Centrale Paris
jean-philippe.rey@ecp.fr          92295 Châtenay-Malabry Cedex - France

* Re: Wrong page break in sequence of headings
@ 2014-09-11 14:35 ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2014-09-11 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 09/11/2014 01:50 PM, Jean-Philippe Rey wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I have a problem with page breaking in a sequence of titles (for
example chapter, section, subsection) : a page break can occur between
titles. I tested this with the last beta version

Jean-Philippe,

page breaks can occur after a heading command.

> Is there a setup to get the page breaks right ? Or is this a bug ?

It isn’t a bug, it‘s just the way heads are defined in ConTeXt.

For chapters and sections, use:

\setuphead[chapter][after={\blank[samepage, 2*big]}]
\setuphead[section][after={\blank[samepage]}]

I hope it helps,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: Wrong page break in sequence of headings
@ 2014-09-11 15:24   ` Jean-Philippe Rey
From: Jean-Philippe Rey @ 2014-09-11 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Pablo,

Le 11 sept. 2014 à 16:35, Pablo Rodriguez <oinos@gmx.es> a écrit :

> page breaks can occur after a heading command.
>
>> Is there a setup to get the page breaks right ? Or is this a bug ?
>
> It isn’t a bug, it‘s just the way heads are defined in ConTeXt.

I thought it could have been a bug because I have never seen ConTeXt put a page break between a head and the following text when it is a standard paragraph (which is a sensible behavior). It seems odd to allow a page break between two heads, except in very exceptional situations (e.g. a very long list of heads).

> For chapters and sections, use:
>
> \setuphead[chapter][after={\blank[samepage, 2*big]}]
> \setuphead[section][after={\blank[samepage]}]
>
> I hope it helps,

It works perfectly well, thank you very much Pablo.

--

@ 2014-09-11 19:51     ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2014-09-11 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 09/11/2014 05:24 PM, Jean-Philippe Rey wrote:
> Le 11 sept. 2014 à 16:35, Pablo Rodriguez a écrit :
>
>> page breaks can occur after a heading command.
>>
>>> Is there a setup to get the page breaks right ? Or is this a bug ?
>>
>> It isn’t a bug, it‘s just the way heads are defined in ConTeXt.
>
> I thought it could have been a bug because I have never seen ConTeXt put
> a page break between a head and the following text when it is a standard
> paragraph (which is a sensible behavior). It seems odd to allow a page
> break between two heads, except in very exceptional situations (e.g. a
> very long list of heads).

Hi Jean-Philippe,

the first time I experienced that the heading being left alone in the
bottom of a page, I thought it was a bug also.

Wolfgang kindly explained me that this was due to the default setups for
headings.

Page breaks after titles (not only between titles) seem also weird to
me. But once you know how it works, you only have to specify it in the
preamble of your documents.

>> For chapters and sections, use:
>>
>> \setuphead[chapter][after={\blank[samepage, 2*big]}]
>> \setuphead[section][after={\blank[samepage]}]
>>
>> I hope it helps,
>
> It works perfectly well, thank you very much Pablo.

I’m glad to read it worked.

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk