From: Hongwen Qiu <qiuhongwen@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Latest beta stops loading some ttc fonts
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2014 10:06:35 +0800	[thread overview]

在 2014年09月25日 18:50, Hans Hagen 写道:
> On 9/25/2014 10:50 AM, Hongwen Qiu wrote:
>> The following minimal example used to work fine:
>> \starttypescript [serif] [zhfonts]
>>    \definefontsynonym [Serif] [name:nsimsun]
>> \stoptypescript
>>
>> \starttypescript [zhfonts]
>>    \definetypeface [zhfonts] [rm] [serif] [zhfonts]
>> \stoptypescript
>>
>> \usetypescript [zhfonts]
>> \setupbodyfont [zhfonts, rm, 11pt]
>>
>> \starttext
>>
>> 测试
>>
>> \stoptext
>>
>> but it's no longer the case.
>
> is it context or the binary?
Don't know which one changed that caused the above example to fail. I
havn't used nsimsun for months, and indeed the above code used to run
properly. Just heard from someone that it works in the current but not
in the beta.

In my opinion, it's much easier to change the context code to fix this
problem (about 2 line lua code), but maybe tweaking with the luatex code
is the way that should be done.

I don't know anything about font format. In the luatex code, a comment
said that PLRM only support ASCII fontnames. I suppose PLRM is short for
PostScript Language Reference. I have a quick glance of the 3rd edition
of PLRM, and only find that fontname have this explanation: "(Optional)
The name of the font. This entry is for information only; it is not
used by the PostScript interpreter. Ordinarily, it is the same as the
key passed
to definefont , but it need not be."
I noticed that font can have multiple fotnames, each for a lang, just as
I posted in the previous message that there're 3 fontnames for index 1
of simsun.ttc. And many other Unicode fonts have non ASCII font names
for lang other than 0 too. Just enable the warning message when loading
font, and I noticed a lot of arabic font in the Linux box have Arabic
font names. So I don't think that context (or luatex) should refuse to
work when font have non-ASCII fontnames.

Currently there're other font related bugs that I'd wish getting fixed too.
I'm currently trying to find out why typesetting with sourcehansanscn
will cause some glyphs to disapper.
e.g. the following code should typeset two glyphs "理" and "论". But the
"理" just get deleted from the output.
\starttypescript [serif] [zhfonts]
    \definefontsynonym [Serif] [name:sourcehansanscn]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [zhfonts]
    \definetypeface [zhfonts] [rm] [serif] [zhfonts]
\stoptypescript

\usetypescript [zhfonts]
\setupbodyfont [zhfonts, rm, 11pt]

\starttext

理论

\stoptext
FYI. this font can display "理", when I use libreOffice. I have no clue
how to debug this problem. So some advice about debugging this kind of
problem is helpful if you're busy to debug the problem. I'd glad to find
out the reason why it won't work myself.

By the way, I belived that something like \definefontsynonym [Serif]
[sourcehansanscn] used to load sourcehansanscn correctly but you must
prefix it with name: now, otherwise it won't load any font.