* Error Messages
@ 2014-10-26 19:44 Thangalin
From: Thangalin @ 2014-10-26 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

After upgrading to version 2014.10.07, I recompiled a document that
had gathered some dust and was greeted with:

tex error > error on line 34 in file ...: ! Math error: parameter
\Umathquad\displaystyle is not set

The document compiled using a previous version, and no changes were
made prior to upgrading. Having the line number and filename is a good
start. The error message, however, is confounding.

From this error message I have no idea:

- What triggered the error.
- Why \Umathquad\displaystyle is relevant.
- How to resolve the problem.

From superficial appearances, line 34 is fine (itemized list).

In addition to the error message, would it be possible to provide a
link to the wiki that offers more information? The information on the
wiki page would include:

- a unique identifier for the error number (e.g., err-tex-00001)
- the error string ("Math error: parameter ... is not set")
- a simple document that shows how to reproduce the problem
- a document that shows one way to fix the issue
- if relevant, note the ConTeXt version(s) that the simple document
compiles without error
- a brief description of why the error happens (i.e., explain why the
error shows up in the subsequent ConTeXt versions)

Thank you.

* Re: Error Messages
@ 2014-10-26 22:12 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2014-10-26 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10/26/2014 8:44 PM, Thangalin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After upgrading to version 2014.10.07, I recompiled a document that
> had gathered some dust and was greeted with:
>
> tex error > error on line 34 in file ...: ! Math error: parameter
> \Umathquad\displaystyle is not set
>
> The document compiled using a previous version, and no changes were
> made prior to upgrading. Having the line number and filename is a good
> start. The error message, however, is confounding.
>
>  From this error message I have no idea:
>
> - What triggered the error.
> - Why \Umathquad\displaystyle is relevant.
> - How to resolve the problem.
>
>  From superficial appearances, line 34 is fine (itemized list).

itemized lists use a bullet from math fonts (currently) ... so it looks
like you haven't loaded a math font ... as context will load one by
default, it looks like you explicitly load a fons combination with no math

> In addition to the error message, would it be possible to provide a
> link to the wiki that offers more information? The information on the
> wiki page would include:
>
> - a unique identifier for the error number (e.g., err-tex-00001)
> - the error string ("Math error: parameter ... is not set")
> - a simple document that shows how to reproduce the problem
> - a document that shows one way to fix the issue
> - if relevant, note the ConTeXt version(s) that the simple document
> compiles without error
> - a brief description of why the error happens (i.e., explain why the
> error shows up in the subsequent ConTeXt versions)

feel free to organize that ... i have no time for it

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Error Messages
@ 2014-10-27 11:00   ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2014-10-27 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 26 Oct 2014 23:12:16 +0100
Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> feel free to organize that ... i have no time for it

I have started a new wiki page and invite other users to contribute to
the list by including *their* favorite common mistakes.

http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Common_errors

Alan

* Re: Error Messages
@ 2014-10-27 18:00     ` Thangalin
From: Thangalin @ 2014-10-27 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

What do you think about a wiki structure that directly corresponds to errors?

http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Errors/tex/00001
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Errors/context/00001
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Errors/metapost/00001

When ConTeXt encounters a TeX error, the software writes the error
number to standard error:

tex error [00001] > error on line 34 in file ...: ! Math error: parameter
\Umathquad\displaystyle is not set

Eventually this could generate a hyperlink for the corresponding wiki page:

tex error [00001] > error on line 34 in file ...: ! Math error: parameter
\Umathquad\displaystyle is not set
tex error [00001] > Details at: http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Errors/tex/00001

Another idea is to create the error pages using markdown. The markdown
would serve the following purposes:

- Include source code snippets that can be compiled with ConTeXt as
another suite of tests
- Could be generated into Wiki pages, or local HTML pages,
automatically (e.g., I could set up a local web server and not have to
rely on the availability of the wiki).

The disadvantage is that it becomes slightly more difficult to edit
the documents, but there's nothing that states the editing process
needs to be one-way (markdown to wiki). There could be a way to go
from wiki to updating the markdown source of truth.

Thoughts?