* Natural tables introduces spaces in \type
@ 2014-11-02 13:27 Christoph Reller
From: Christoph Reller @ 2014-11-02 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Why does \type{...} introduce spaces when used inside natural tables?

MWE:

\starttext
\type{\test\test} %<- no space introduced
\bTABLE
\bTR \bTD \typ{\test\test} \eTD \eTR %<- space introduced
\eTABLE
\stoptext

Kind Regards,
Christoph

* Re: Natural tables introduces spaces in \type
@ 2014-11-02 13:54 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2014-11-02 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 11/2/2014 2:27 PM, Christoph Reller wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Why does \type{...} introduce spaces when used inside natural tables?
>
> MWE:
>
> \starttext
> \type{\test\test} %<- no space introduced
> \bTABLE
> \bTR \bTD \typ{\test\test} \eTD \eTR %<- space introduced
> \eTABLE
> \stoptext

it's the way tex works (when passing arguments) .. you can use this (and
wikify it):

\definetype[ctype][compact=absolute]

\bTABLE
     \bTR \bTD \ctype{\test\test} \eTD \eTR
\eTABLE

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2014-11-19 21:43 Christoph Reller
From: Christoph Reller @ 2014-11-19 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 11/5/2014 21:50 PM, Christoph Reller wrote:
> On 11/5/2014 10:28 AM, Hans Hagen wrote:
> > On 11/5/2014 8:09 AM, Christoph Reller wrote:
> > > Thank you very much Hans!
> > >
> > > Maybe you could tell me why the following still produces a space in
> > > front of the full stop:
> > >
> > > \definetype[ctype][compact=absolute]
> > > \starttext
> > > \bTABLE
> > >    \bTR \bTD \ctype{\test.txt} \eTD \eTR
> > > \eTABLE
> > > \stoptext
> >
> > because the absolute cleaner only deals with \foo { and \foo [
> >
> > > If this issue is resolved I will be glad to wikify.
> >
> > i'll add the . to the filter criteria
>
> Thank you for the explanation.  I am not sure if it is a wise idea to add
> only "." (the full stop).  I tried the following characters, and they all
> are preceded by a space:
>
>   . - _ # % , ; @ !
>
> Basically, what I want is to write a file system path name such as
> C:\Path_to-my\file.ext.  The above characters are all valid file system
> characters.  Is there a better solution?  Or are you willing to add all
the
> above (maybe except for # and %) to the absolute cleaner?

For anybody interested in this: I have decided to resort to
\hyphenatedurl{...}. This means that I have to escape \ as \\, # as \# and
% as \letterpercent. Let me know if you have a better solution.

@ 2014-11-10  7:18 ` Keith Schultz
From: Keith Schultz @ 2014-11-10  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

hello all,

i do not have nfts, but there are assume users that do not live in western countries
and use characters that are not in ascii!!

just a thought.

regards
	Keith.

@ 2014-11-07 13:44 Christoph Reller
From: Christoph Reller @ 2014-11-07 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Fri, 7 Nov 2014 09:11:09 +0100
Alan Braslau <alan.braslau@cea.fr> wrote

@ 2014-11-07  8:11 ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2014-11-07  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Reller; +Cc: ntg-context

@ 2014-11-06 15:15 Christoph Reller
From: Christoph Reller @ 2014-11-06 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 11/6/2014 9:58 AM, Hans Hagen wrote:
> we could have a specific filename cleaner but of course there will be
> users who have paths that have spaces after the \ ... okay, we could
> just not support evil paths like that
>
> Hans

A rigorous filename cleaner would have to treat a huge number of possible
Unicodes. This is overkill. I believe the best would be to have a cleaner
for all ascii "symbols". That would fit most purposes of writing file names
and URIs:

  !#"$%&'*()+,-./:;<=>?@[\]^_`{|}~

Of the above characters the following are disallowed on NTFS:

  "*/:<>?|

Still I think they should be included in the cleaner. If % or # pose
problems then they may be omitted.

With the current "absolute"-cleaner, a space after \ is preserved
correctly, so I don't understand your comment:

\definetype[ctype][compact=absolute]\starttext
\bTABLE\bTR\bTD \ctype{\a\ b} \eTD\eTR\eTABLE\stoptext

I would be glad if you could implement such a "ascii-symbol"-cleaner.

Thanks,

@ 2014-11-06  8:58 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2014-11-06  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

@ 2014-11-05 20:50 Christoph Reller
From: Christoph Reller @ 2014-11-05 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 11/5/2014 10:28 AM, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 11/5/2014 8:09 AM, Christoph Reller wrote:
> > Thank you very much Hans!
> >
> > Maybe you could tell me why the following still produces a space in
> > front of the full stop:
> >
> > \definetype[ctype][compact=absolute]
> > \starttext
> > \bTABLE
> >    \bTR \bTD \ctype{\test.txt} \eTD \eTR
> > \eTABLE
> > \stoptext
>
> because the absolute cleaner only deals with \foo { and \foo [
>
> > If this issue is resolved I will be glad to wikify.
>
> i'll add the . to the filter criteria

Thank you for the explanation.  I am not sure if it is a wise idea to add
only "." (the full stop).  I tried the following characters, and they all
are preceded by a space:

  . - _ # % , ; @ !

Basically, what I want is to write a file system path name such as
C:\Path_to-my\file.ext.  The above characters are all valid file system
characters.  Is there a better solution?  Or are you willing to add all the
above (maybe except for # and %) to the absolute cleaner?

Thank you in advance for your help.

@ 2014-11-05  9:28 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2014-11-05  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2014-11-05  7:09 Christoph Reller