* Problems with repeating layers
@ 2014-12-08  7:42 Reza Housseini
From: Reza Housseini @ 2014-12-08  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello

I try to use layers to position a figure on top of the leftmargin area. I
use code like the following:

    \definelayer[MyLayer][option=test]
    \setupbackgrounds[text][leftmargin][background=MyLayer]
    \setlayer[MyLayer][x=0cm,y=0cm]
    {\externalfigure[cow][width=2cm]}

This image get's repeated every page but I only want it on the first page.
The parameter state=start does not change anything. Is there a way to
disable the layer on the next page. Also there seems to be a bug with
\showframe. When I use this command my figure is only displayed on the
first page (as desired).
When I use

    \setupbackgrounds[page][background=MyLayer]

this problem does not occur. But I have to shift the figure to place it in
the leftmargin.

I tried to use another concept like

    \definelayer[test]
    \startuseMPgraphic{oeps}
    register ("somepos-1",0cm,0cm,center currentpicture) ;
    \stopuseMPgraphic
    \setMPlayer [test] [somepos-1]
    {\externalfigure[cow][width=2cm]}
    \getMPlayer [test] {\useMPgraphic{oeps}}

but that does not seem to work at all.

Thanks for any help

Cheers,
Reza

* Re: Problems with repeating layers
@ 2014-12-08  9:19 ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2014-12-08  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12/08/2014 08:42 AM, Reza Housseini wrote:
> Hello
>
> I try to use layers to position a figure on top of the leftmargin area.
> I use code like the following:
>
>     \definelayer[MyLayer][option=test]
>     \setupbackgrounds[text][leftmargin][background=MyLayer]
>     \setlayer[MyLayer][x=0cm,y=0cm]
>     {\externalfigure[cow][width=2cm]}
>
> This image get's repeated every page but I only want it on the first
> page. The parameter state=start does not change anything. Is there a way
> to disable the layer on the next page?

Hi Reza,

I don’t know whether this is a bug or a feature.

But this document might achieve what (I guess) you want (as you wrote
yourself):

 \definelayer[MyLayer]
    \setlayer[MyLayer][x=0cm,y=4.5cm]
    {\externalfigure[cow][width=2cm]}
    \setupbackgrounds[page][background=MyLayer]
  \starttext
  \dorecurse{5}{\input knuth}
  \stoptext

> Also there seems to be a bug with \showframe. When I use this command
> my figure is only displayed on the first page (as desired).

I wasn’t able to reproduce this.

Placing \showframe before of after \setupbackgrounds in the previous
document, states (http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Layers#State) work fine.

I hope it helps,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: Problems with repeating layers
@ 2014-12-09 15:08   ` Reza Housseini
From: Reza Housseini @ 2014-12-09 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Dec 8, 2014 at 10:19 AM, Pablo Rodriguez <oinos@gmx.es> wrote:

> On 12/08/2014 08:42 AM, Reza Housseini wrote:
> > Hello
> >
> > I try to use layers to position a figure on top of the leftmargin area.
> > I use code like the following:
> >
> >     \definelayer[MyLayer][option=test]
> >     \setupbackgrounds[text][leftmargin][background=MyLayer]
> >     \setlayer[MyLayer][x=0cm,y=0cm]
> >     {\externalfigure[cow][width=2cm]}
> >
> > This image get's repeated every page but I only want it on the first
> > page. The parameter state=start does not change anything. Is there a way
> > to disable the layer on the next page?
>
> Hi Reza,
>
> I don’t know whether this is a bug or a feature.
>
> But this document might achieve what (I guess) you want (as you wrote
> yourself):
>
>  \definelayer[MyLayer]
>     \setlayer[MyLayer][x=0cm,y=4.5cm]
>     {\externalfigure[cow][width=2cm]}
>     \setupbackgrounds[page][background=MyLayer]
>   \starttext
>   \dorecurse{5}{\input knuth}
>   \stoptext
>
> > Also there seems to be a bug with \showframe. When I use this command
> > my figure is only displayed on the first page (as desired).
>
> I wasn’t able to reproduce this.
>
> Placing \showframe before of after \setupbackgrounds in the previous
> document, states (http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Layers#State) work fine.
>
> I hope it helps,
>

> Pablo
> --
> http://www.ousia.tk

Thanks Pablo

I already used this solution. For me it looks like a bug that the "state"
argument does not change anything because the manual clearly states the
expected behaviour of "state".
But anyhow I'll use the other solution.

@ 2014-12-10 19:27     ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2014-12-10 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12/09/2014 04:08 PM, Reza Housseini wrote:

> Thanks Pablo
>
> I already used this solution. For me it looks like a bug that the
> "state" argument does not change anything because the manual clearly
> states the expected behaviour of "state".
> But anyhow I'll use the other solution.

Hi Reza,

I don’t really know whether this is a bug or a feature, because I don’t
know the internals.

But the only way to find out is to report it and see what happens.

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk