* vertical alignment of table of contents in makeup
@ 2014-12-20  2:13 Mark Szepieniec
From: Mark Szepieniec @ 2014-12-20  2:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

There is a trick mentioned on the wiki for top-aligning the contents of a
makeup page, namely adding "top=,", which cancels the default value of
\vss, which is infinitely strechable space.

However, that doesn't seem to work when the first element in the makeup
page is \completecontent:

\starttext

% top= here doesn't seem to be working...
\startmakeup[standard][top=,]
\completecontent
\section{testsection}
\stopmakeup
\stoptext

Here, the table of contents and the section are both placed on the makeup
page, but they are centered vertically. If the \completecontent line is
commented out, the correct vertical alignment of the section header is
obtained. Is there a way to get top-alignment when a makeup page starts
with \completecontent? Is this a bug?

Or should I even be using makeup pages in my table of contents?

Mark

* Re: vertical alignment of table of contents in makeup
@ 2014-12-20 22:41 ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2014-12-20 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12/20/2014 03:13 AM, Mark Szepieniec wrote:
> There is a trick mentioned on the wiki for top-aligning the contents of
> a makeup page, namely adding "top=,", which cancels the default value of
> \vss, which is infinitely strechable space.
>
> However, that doesn't seem to work when the first element in the makeup
> page is \completecontent:

Hi Mark,

this is what it happens when you start a makeup page with a \chapter
command. \chapter inserts a page break before the heading.

> [...]
> Here, the table of contents and the section are both placed on the
> makeup page, but they are centered vertically. If the \completecontent
> line is commented out, the correct vertical alignment of the section
> header is obtained. Is there a way to get top-alignment when a makeup
> page starts with \completecontent? Is this a bug?

As far as I know, this isn’t a bug.

You can disable the page break before chapter with:

    \setuphead[chapter][page=]

This way it works as you intend.

> Or should I even be using makeup pages in my table of contents?

I wonder whether this makes sense at all.

Why do you want or why do you think you need the table of contents
wrapped in a makeup page?

A makeup page is fine for contents such as title pages, colophons or
similar ones. Their contents should fit in a single page, because the
contents won’t be split across pages.

Here you have a sample that shows why makeup pages shouldn’t be used for
table of contents:

    \starttext
    \startmakeup[standard][top=,]
    \chapter{Contents}
    \dorecurse{50}{\section{testsection}}
    \stopmakeup
    \stoptext

I hope it helps,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: vertical alignment of table of contents in makeup
@ 2014-12-21 20:01   ` Mark Szepieniec
From: Mark Szepieniec @ 2014-12-21 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Pablo,

thanks for your clarifications. My thinking was that I didn't want my table
of contents page to have a page number, but I didn't realize that the ToC
head acts as a chapter head, so you can just get rid of the page number in
the way you suggest.

So just leaving out the makeup works fine, thanks!

@ 2014-12-21 21:12     ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2014-12-21 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12/21/2014 09:01 PM, Mark Szepieniec wrote:
> Hi Pablo,
>
> thanks for your clarifications. My thinking was that I didn't want my
> table of contents page to have a page number, but I didn't realize that
> the ToC head acts as a chapter head, so you can just get rid of the page
> number in the way you suggest.
>
> So just leaving out the makeup works fine, thanks!

Hi Mark,

to get rid of page numbers in the table of contents,
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Table_of_Contents#Suppressing_page_numbering_for_the_ToC_pages
may help you.

Just in case it helps,

Pablo

--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: vertical alignment of table of contents in makeup
@ 2014-12-21 21:29       ` Mark Szepieniec
From: Mark Szepieniec @ 2014-12-21 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)