* setting margins in makeup
@ 2014-12-19 14:33 Mark Szepieniec
From: Mark Szepieniec @ 2014-12-19 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm having trouble resetting my margins in makeup pages. I want the makeup
pages to have equal topspace, bottomspace, backspace and cutspace,
regardless of the standard layout of the rest of the document.

Following Wolfgang's recommendation (
http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2014/079409.html), I tried the
following:

\setuppapersize [A4][A4]

% Standard page layout
\setuplayout    [width=middle,  backspace=1.5in, cutspace=1.5in,
                 height=middle, topspace=0.75in, bottomspace=0.75in]

% Title page layout
% \definemakeup defines a layout with the same name, which we alter.
\definemakeup[titlepage]
\setuplayout  [titlepage][width=middle, backspace=20mm, height=middle,
topspace=20mm]

\starttext

\startmakeup[titlepage][top=,]
bla
\stopmakeup

But, on my system, this puts the "bla" too far from the top of the page,
and it looks as though the topspace has not been set properly. (Backspace
seems ok), Am I doing something wrong or is there a better way to achieve
this?

Also, the manual says I can use the command \showframe to display frames to
help in debugging, but that doesn't seem to do anything for me?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

* Re: setting margins in makeup
@ 2014-12-19 15:38 ` Mark Szepieniec
From: Mark Szepieniec @ 2014-12-19 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sorry for the noise, I've solved it, turns out makeup pages still have
headers which you need to set to zero if you want uniform margins:

% Title page layout
% \definemakeup defines a layout with the same name, which we alter.
\definemakeup[titlepage]
\setuplayout  [titlepage][width=middle, backspace=20mm,
                          height=middle, topspace=20mm,
                          header=0mm]

did the trick for me.

Incidentally, what threw me off was the phrasing in the manual:

4.19
Makeup
A document may have a titlepage, a colofon and some pages that are not
directly related to the
main part of the document. Mostly these pages are not numbered and can do
without headers
and footers. Because their layout needs extra attention we prefer the word
makeup for defining
their specific layout.

Since my makeup pages indeed don't have page numbers, I presumed they
wouldn't have headers either. I may have read too much into that, but
perhaps that passage can be improved?

@ 2014-12-20 22:51 ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2014-12-20 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12/19/2014 03:33 PM, Mark Szepieniec wrote:
> Also, the manual says I can use the command \showframe to display frames
> to help in debugging, but that doesn't seem to do anything for me?

Hi Mark,

I removed the most part of the message, because I think you solved it
(as you posted in a reply to your original message).

Regarding to \showframe, if you put it as the first line of your
document preamble, you would see side margins and frames for headers and
footers.

Just in case it helps,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: setting margins in makeup
@ 2014-12-20 22:55   ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2014-12-20 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12/19/2014 04:38 PM, Mark Szepieniec wrote:
> [...]
> Incidentally, what threw me off was the phrasing in the manual:
>
> 4.19
> Makeup
> A document may have a titlepage, a colofon and some pages that are
> not directly related to the main part of the document. Mostly these
> pages are not numbered and can do without headers and footers.
> Because their layout needs extra attention we prefer the word makeup
> for defining their specific layout.
>
> Since my makeup pages indeed don't have page numbers, I presumed they
> wouldn't have headers either. I may have read too much into that, but
> perhaps that passage can be improved?

Hi Mark,

makeups don’t have either headers or footers, but have the document
layout unless otherwise specified.

You are right: makeups don’t have header or footer /texts/, although
they don’t have the space for headers and footers removed.

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: setting margins in makeup
@ 2014-12-21 11:02     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2014-12-21 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12/20/2014 11:55 PM, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
> On 12/19/2014 04:38 PM, Mark Szepieniec wrote:
>> [...]
>> Incidentally, what threw me off was the phrasing in the manual:
>>
>> 4.19
>> Makeup
>> A document may have a titlepage, a colofon and some pages that are
>> not directly related to the main part of the document. Mostly these
>> pages are not numbered and can do without headers and footers.
>> Because their layout needs extra attention we prefer the word makeup
>> for defining their specific layout.
>>
>> Since my makeup pages indeed don't have page numbers, I presumed they
>> wouldn't have headers either. I may have read too much into that, but
>> perhaps that passage can be improved?
>
> Hi Mark,
>
> makeups don’t have either headers or footers, but have the document
> layout unless otherwise specified.
>
> You are right: makeups don’t have header or footer /texts/, although
> they don’t have the space for headers and footers removed.

they have them but their state is empty (headerstate etc parameters)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2014-12-21 20:03       ` Mark Szepieniec
From: Mark Szepieniec @ 2014-12-21 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)