* Delayed page layout change?
@ 2015-01-10 23:36 David Brooks
From: David Brooks @ 2015-01-10 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm new to ConTeXt (although have used LaTeX in various ways over a long
time) and am impressed! Many thanks for a great system.

I'm wanting some pages in a book to have a different layout to others,
and am using \definelayout and \setuplayout to do so. This all works,
including adding layers to the different layouts. However the layout
change (specified by \setuplayout) occurs immediately after the command
is given, which means following paragraphs on the page have the layout's
new width and not the width used for earlier text on the page: i.e:

+            +
    xxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxx
<-- \setuplayout
    xxxxx
    xxxxx
+            +
+            +
    xxxxx
    xxxxx
    xxxxx
xxxxx
    xxxxx
    xxxxx
+            +

Is there anyway to defer the change in layout so that it occurs when the
and give \setuplayout immediately afterwards, but this doesn't allow for
paragraph text to flow over the page boundary.

Thank you.

David Brooks

* Re: Delayed page layout change?
@ 2015-01-11 10:39 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2015-01-11 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 1/11/2015 12:36 AM, David Brooks wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to ConTeXt (although have used LaTeX in various ways over a long
> time) and am impressed! Many thanks for a great system.
>
> I'm wanting some pages in a book to have a different layout to others,
> and am using \definelayout and \setuplayout to do so. This all works,
> including adding layers to the different layouts. However the layout
> change (specified by \setuplayout) occurs immediately after the command
> is given, which means following paragraphs on the page have the layout's
> new width and not the width used for earlier text on the page: i.e:
>
> +            +
>     xxxxxxxxx
>     xxxxxxxxx
>     xxxxxxxxx
> <-- \setuplayout
>     xxxxx
>     xxxxx
> +            +
> +            +
>     xxxxx
>     xxxxx
>     xxxxx
> xxxxx
>     xxxxx
>     xxxxx
> +            +
>
> Is there anyway to defer the change in layout so that it occurs when the
> and give \setuplayout immediately afterwards, but this doesn't allow for
> paragraph text to flow over the page boundary.

\setuplayout         [width=11cm]
\definelayout [odd]  [backspace=1cm,height=18cm]
\definelayout [even] [backspace=4cm,height=19cm]
\definelayout [5]    [backspace=5cm,height=20cm]
\definelayout [6]    [backspace=5cm]
\definelayout [-2]   [backspace=0cm,cutspace=0cm]
\definelayout [last] [backspace=0cm,cutspace=0cm]

\checkcurrentlayout \showframe

\starttext
     \dorecurse{20} {\input knuth \endgraf \input tufte \endgraf}
\stoptext

so you can play with these settings

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2015-01-11 18:04   ` David Brooks
From: David Brooks @ 2015-01-11 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/01/15 11:39 pm, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 1/11/2015 12:36 AM, David Brooks wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm new to ConTeXt (although have used LaTeX in various ways over a long
>> time) and am impressed! Many thanks for a great system.
>>
>> I'm wanting some pages in a book to have a different layout to others,
>> and am using \definelayout and \setuplayout to do so. This all works,
>> including adding layers to the different layouts. However the layout
>> change (specified by \setuplayout) occurs immediately after the command
>> is given, which means following paragraphs on the page have the layout's
>> new width and not the width used for earlier text on the page: i.e:
>>
>> +            +
>>     xxxxxxxxx
>>     xxxxxxxxx
>>     xxxxxxxxx
>> <-- \setuplayout
>>     xxxxx
>>     xxxxx
>> +            +
>> +            +
>>     xxxxx
>>     xxxxx
>>     xxxxx
>> xxxxx
>>     xxxxx
>>     xxxxx
>> +            +
>>
>> Is there anyway to defer the change in layout so that it occurs when the
>> and give \setuplayout immediately afterwards, but this doesn't allow for
>> paragraph text to flow over the page boundary.
>
> \setuppagenumbering[alternative=doublesided]
>
> \setuplayout         [width=11cm]
> \definelayout [odd]  [backspace=1cm,height=18cm]
> \definelayout [even] [backspace=4cm,height=19cm]
> \definelayout [5]    [backspace=5cm,height=20cm]
> \definelayout [6]    [backspace=5cm]
> \definelayout [-2]   [backspace=0cm,cutspace=0cm]
> \definelayout [last] [backspace=0cm,cutspace=0cm]
>
> \checkcurrentlayout \showframe
>
> \starttext
>     \dorecurse{20} {\input knuth \endgraf \input tufte \endgraf}
> \stoptext
>
> so you can play with these settings
Thanks, but if the page width changes the current paragraph's width does
not adjust across the page boundary, as seen with:

\setuplayout         [width=11cm,height=18cm]
\definelayout [odd]  [backspace=1cm]
\definelayout [even] [backspace=4cm,width=14cm]

\checkcurrentlayout \showframe

\starttext
     \dorecurse{4} {\input knuth \endgraf \input tufte \endgraf}
\stoptext

Regards,
Dave

* Re: Delayed page layout change?
@ 2015-01-11 18:30     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2015-01-11 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 1/11/2015 7:04 PM, David Brooks wrote:

> Thanks, but if the page width changes the current paragraph's width does
> not adjust across the page boundary, as seen with:
>
> \setuppagenumbering[alternative=doublesided]
>
> \setuplayout         [width=11cm,height=18cm]
> \definelayout [odd]  [backspace=1cm]
> \definelayout [even] [backspace=4cm,width=14cm]
>
> \checkcurrentlayout \showframe
>
> \starttext
>      \dorecurse{4} {\input knuth \endgraf \input tufte \endgraf}
> \stoptext

That is because the paragraph is already typeset .. in principle we can
have a simple reflow but then users would ask for more complex things
and it would not work

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2015-01-11 18:58       ` David Brooks
From: David Brooks @ 2015-01-11 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12/01/15 7:30 am, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 1/11/2015 7:04 PM, David Brooks wrote:
>
>> Thanks, but if the page width changes the current paragraph's width does
>> not adjust across the page boundary, as seen with:
>>
>> \setuppagenumbering[alternative=doublesided]
>>
>> \setuplayout         [width=11cm,height=18cm]
>> \definelayout [odd]  [backspace=1cm]
>> \definelayout [even] [backspace=4cm,width=14cm]
>>
>> \checkcurrentlayout \showframe
>>
>> \starttext
>>      \dorecurse{4} {\input knuth \endgraf \input tufte \endgraf}
>> \stoptext
>
> That is because the paragraph is already typeset .. in principle we
> can have a simple reflow but then users would ask for more complex
> things and it would not work
OK, thanks. Now I know this, I can adjust tweak content so that
paragraphs don't flow over a change of page layout.

Regards,
Dave

* Re: Delayed page layout change?
@ 2015-01-11 21:56         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2015-01-11 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 1/11/2015 7:58 PM, David Brooks wrote:

> On 12/01/15 7:30 am, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> On 1/11/2015 7:04 PM, David Brooks wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks, but if the page width changes the current paragraph's width does
>>> not adjust across the page boundary, as seen with:
>>>
>>> \setuppagenumbering[alternative=doublesided]
>>>
>>> \setuplayout         [width=11cm,height=18cm]
>>> \definelayout [odd]  [backspace=1cm]
>>> \definelayout [even] [backspace=4cm,width=14cm]
>>>
>>> \checkcurrentlayout \showframe
>>>
>>> \starttext
>>>      \dorecurse{4} {\input knuth \endgraf \input tufte \endgraf}
>>> \stoptext
>>
>> That is because the paragraph is already typeset .. in principle we
>> can have a simple reflow but then users would ask for more complex
>> things and it would not work
> OK, thanks. Now I know this, I can adjust tweak content so that
> paragraphs don't flow over a change of page layout.

e.g. bij injecting \break or \par at the right spot

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE