From: Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>
To: ntg-context@ntg.nl
Subject: Re: Formatting bibliographic inline references and publications list
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2015 19:44:56 +0100	[thread overview]

On 1/17/2015 7:23 AM, Jörg Weger wrote:
> Hi Alan
>

> What I am trying to achieve is the following (of which typesetting the
> author’s name is only a detail): setting up an environment that I can
> use for all papers and works that I have to write during my academic
> studies. With the basic layout I am almost done. The main remaining
> problem is to get the bibliographic information details in the
> publications list into the right order for every possible type of
> publication according to the standards demanded by my university
> department which differ from APA style.
>
> You ask what I am looking for:
>
> It would be great to be able at the same time to format every detail of
> information while defining said order.
>
> Defining that order could be done by giving a kind of “maximum case”
> with the exact order of the desired variables and the punctuation and
> blanks between them for every particular type of publication cited. Out
> of that “maximum case” the underlying mechanism would ignore everything
> not needed in the particular case of a certain publication.
>
> In the case of publication type “book” it could be something like:
>
> \setpublicationstyleforlist [type:book]
> [{invertedauthor1}{/}{invertedauthor2}{/}{invertedauthor3}{et al.}{
> (}{year}{): }{title}{. }{address}{: }{publisher}{.}]

... that not good enough: fields can be absent, there is no way to
distinguish authors from titles and so ...

the new mechanism we're making tries to cover a lot of aspects and it's
not that trivial to also keep the interface simple then

anyway, what we're talking of (currently) is:

- datasets, where data comes from bib files, lua tables xml files or
whatever gets interfaced

- optional typing, which means that one can tell what fields represents
what kind of data

- fallback sets i.e a sequence that will be checked when a field is
requested

- virtual fields (think of numbers and author year combinations)

- control via settings (the et-al thing as well as fences and punctuation)

- rendering driven by setups so that users have full control (if they
want) over what comes out

- a bunch of helper macros (checking, spacing etc)

- a collection of methods that can be applied to fields when they are
called up

- calling up citations by tag but also by a query

- control over lists

- automatic generation of registers

- passing along extra data entered in the source

- and more

we don't know how many users will define renderings themselves but in
principle it should not be too hard to copy existing setups and mess
with them

there is quite some tracing available because it can go wrong in many
places (depending on the quality of the data)

attached are two simple examples of how users can define things

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE