* Issues in export
@ 2015-01-17 16:15 Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2015-01-17 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, please consider the example at http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Export#More_useful_example
and its result at http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Export#raw.xml_2 etc.

The <metadata> tags end up within the first section (in this case: chapter), even if they’re defined before \starttext.

Please fix, thanks.

Further, I wonder about the tagging of footnotes (and probably other references, didn’t look into them yet):
This is completely visual instead of semantical:

(in *-raw.xml:)

Quoth<descriptionsymbol detail="footnote"><sup>1</sup></descriptionsymbol>
  <description detail="footnote" chain="footnote">
   <descriptiontag><sup>1</sup> </descriptiontag>
   <descriptioncontent>by Edgar Al­lan Poe</descriptioncontent>
  </description>

(in *-div.xhtml:)

In raw.xml I’d prefer something like

Quoth<description detail="footnote" id="1">by Edgar Allan Poe</description>

or

Quoth<description detail="footnote" id="1" />
  <description detail="footnote" id="1">
   <descriptiontag>1</descriptiontag>
   <descriptioncontent>by Edgar Al­lan Poe</descriptioncontent>
  </description>

and in div.xhtml something that works in HTML, like a title:

or a link:

…
<a name=„footnote_1“>
</a>

Greetlings, Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
https://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

* Re: Issues in export
@ 2015-01-19  9:44 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2015-01-19  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 1/17/2015 5:15 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
> Hi, please consider the example at http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Export#More_useful_example
> and its result at http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Export#raw.xml_2 etc.
>
> The <metadata> tags end up within the first section (in this case: chapter), even if they’re defined before \starttext.
>
> Please fix, thanks.
>

> Further, I wonder about the tagging of footnotes (and probably other references, didn’t look into them yet):
> This is completely visual instead of semantical:
>
> (in *-raw.xml:)
>
> Quoth<descriptionsymbol detail="footnote"><sup>1</sup></descriptionsymbol>
>    <description detail="footnote" chain="footnote">
>     <descriptiontag><sup>1</sup> </descriptiontag>
>     <descriptioncontent>by Edgar Al­lan Poe</descriptioncontent>
>    </description>
 >
> (in *-div.xhtml:)

> In raw.xml I’d prefer something like
>

> Quoth<description detail="footnote" id="1">by Edgar Allan Poe</description>
>

> or
>

> Quoth<description detail="footnote" id="1" />
>    <description detail="footnote" id="1">
>     <descriptiontag>1</descriptiontag>
>     <descriptioncontent>by Edgar Al­lan Poe</descriptioncontent>
>    </description>
>

> and in div.xhtml something that works in HTML, like a title:

Well, basically the export is visual with a few goodies; a footnote is
nothing special unless i intercept it as such and even then it would be
'note' and again something generic it's probably no big deal to provide
the crosslinked reference between the items but that would then not be
'1' because there can be many 1's. Just collect such wishes and i can
look at it when i'm in epub mode again.

That would be kind of arbitrary and unnatural: why should some content
(of a description) suddenly end up as an attribute title.

> or a link:

> …
> <a name=„footnote_1“>
> </a>

an automated link (when no reference is given) sounds ok

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Issues in export
@ 2015-01-20  8:52   ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2015-01-20  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2015-01-19 um 15:44 schrieb Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>:

>> In raw.xml I’d prefer something like
>>

>> Quoth<description detail="footnote" id="1">by Edgar Allan Poe</description>
>>

>> or
>>

>> Quoth<description detail="footnote" id="1" />
>>   <description detail="footnote" id="1">
>>    <descriptiontag>1</descriptiontag>
>>    <descriptioncontent>by Edgar Al­lan Poe</descriptioncontent>
>>   </description>
>>

>> and in div.xhtml something that works in HTML, like a title:
>
> Well, basically the export is visual with a few goodies; a footnote is nothing special unless i intercept it as such and even then it would be 'note' and again something generic it's probably no big deal to provide the crosslinked reference between the items but that would then not be '1' because there can be many 1's. Just collect such wishes and i can look at it when i'm in epub mode again.

Visual might be ok, but please leave out „hard“ formatting like <sup>.
The 1 is just a placeholder - doesn’t ConTeXt have some suitable internal ID?

Ok, I’ll start a wishlist.

> That would be kind of arbitrary and unnatural: why should some content (of a description) suddenly end up as an attribute title.

Just because it works in HTML. Of course it wouldn’t work with long or nested footnotes.
And of course it’s a matter of taste (and usage of notes) if it makes sense to keep notes at the noted text.

>> or a link:

>> …
>> <a name=„footnote_1“>
>> </a>
>
> an automated link (when no reference is given) sounds ok

Also here I’d use an unique note ID as anchor.

Greetlings, Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net

@ 2015-01-20  9:19     ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2015-01-20  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2015-01-20 um 14:52 schrieb Henning Hraban Ramm <texml@fiee.net>:

> Ok, I’ll start a wishlist.

See http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Export#Open_Issues

Another issue: Quotations show up like
<delimited detail="quotation-1">“Prophet!”</delimited>

The tagging is fine, even if I don’t understand „-1“, but the quotation marks are too much, at least in *-raw.xml

Greetlings, Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net

@ 2015-01-20 10:24     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2015-01-20 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 1/20/2015 9:52 AM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
> Am 2015-01-19 um 15:44 schrieb Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>:
>
>>> In raw.xml I’d prefer something like
>>>

>>> Quoth<description detail="footnote" id="1">by Edgar Allan Poe</description>
>>>

>>> or
>>>

>>> Quoth<description detail="footnote" id="1" />
>>>    <description detail="footnote" id="1">
>>>     <descriptiontag>1</descriptiontag>
>>>     <descriptioncontent>by Edgar Al­lan Poe</descriptioncontent>
>>>    </description>
>>>

>>> and in div.xhtml something that works in HTML, like a title:
>>
>> Well, basically the export is visual with a few goodies; a footnote is nothing special unless i intercept it as such and even then it would be 'note' and again something generic it's probably no big deal to provide the crosslinked reference between the items but that would then not be '1' because there can be many 1's. Just collect such wishes and i can look at it when i'm in epub mode again.
>
> Visual might be ok, but please leave out „hard“ formatting like <sup>.

well, that would demand a lot more analysis as technically it can be a
quote or whatever a user has set up ... keep in mind that we start from
typesetting and not abstractions with prescribed rules (so we cannto
demand users to stick to only things that html likes)

if needed i can tag the symbols so that they can be nilled in a css

> The 1 is just a placeholder - doesn’t ConTeXt have some suitable internal ID?

it often has but not exclusive (it can use a namespaces so there can be
several 1's)

> Ok, I’ll start a wishlist.

ok

>> That would be kind of arbitrary and unnatural: why should some content (of a description) suddenly end up as an attribute title.
>
> Just because it works in HTML. Of course it wouldn’t work with long or nested footnotes.
> And of course it’s a matter of taste (and usage of notes) if it makes sense to keep notes at the noted text.

'it works in html' is a weak argument (as html is a rather messy evolved
bunch of tags) .. what works now (or worked in the past) can be
different (or depricated) in the future (take mathml: chrome dropped it)

i think that all these special cases also depend on the usage so there
is always the option of some css or xslt juggling .. the export can only
provide the info (and even then only info is has)

>>> or a link:

>>> …
>>> <a name=„footnote_1“>
>>> </a>
>>
>> an automated link (when no reference is given) sounds ok
>
> Also here I’d use an unique note ID as anchor.

a footnote is a note which is a combination of a floating object and a
notation which is a kind of description which itself is ...

there can be all kind of notes not even being footnotes and although
there is some relation and in most cases only 'footnotes' it will always
need some care in the final 'epub'

i can provide some crosslink info (although that will be overridden when
a user gives explicit references)

(footnotes in an epub are kind of not-done anyway)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Issues in export
@ 2015-01-20 10:31       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2015-01-20 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 1/20/2015 10:19 AM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
> Am 2015-01-20 um 14:52 schrieb Henning Hraban Ramm <texml@fiee.net>:
>
>> Ok, I’ll start a wishlist.
>
> See http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Export#Open_Issues
>
> Another issue: Quotations show up like
> <delimited detail="quotation-1">“Prophet!”</delimited>
>
> The tagging is fine, even if I don’t understand „-1“, but the quotation marks are too much, at least in *-raw.xml

i can tag them (just add it to the wishlist)

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE