* publications in footnotes (new bibliography mkiv)
@ 2015-01-29 12:41 Jörg Weger
From: Jörg Weger @ 2015-01-29 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

I have to prepare a paper in literary science. I need to be able to
quote a reference in a footnote instead of a in-text reference. Such a
footnote should look the same or similar as the entry in the
publications list.

I guess that I have to do \setupbtxcitevariant and \definebtxcitevariant
but then I am stuck.

It would be great if one could put a separate page number/range for
every footnote.

Is there maybe already a mechanism for that?

Greetings Jörg

* Re: publications in footnotes (new bibliography mkiv)
@ 2015-01-30  9:39 ` Jörg Weger
From: Jörg Weger @ 2015-01-30  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

At least I have found a workaround for that problem:

I will render my complete publications list for the paper by using

\placebtxrendering[method=dataset]

and copy the entry from the resulting PDF into the footnote of my
ConTeXt file. There I can edit (= shorten) and format it.

For the future it be great to have a variant like

“\cite[publfootnote][<BibTeX_key>]”

that would render a predefined style of the publication (optionally
different from the list entry) into a footnote.

Greetings Jörg

@ 2015-01-31 11:29   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2015-01-31 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 1/30/2015 10:39 AM, Jörg Weger wrote:
> At least I have found a workaround for that problem:
>
> I will render my complete publications list for the paper by using
>
> \placebtxrendering[method=dataset]
>
> and copy the entry from the resulting PDF into the footnote of my
> ConTeXt file. There I can edit (= shorten) and format it.
>
> For the future it be great to have a variant like
>
> “\cite[publfootnote][<BibTeX_key>]”
>
> that would render a predefined style of the publication (optionally
> different from the list entry) into a footnote.

An in-tex rendering can be done with

\definebtxcitevariant[entry] % this definition is missing in the beta

\starttext

     \citation[entry][something-5]

     \placebtxrendering

\stoptext

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2015-01-31 12:17     ` Jörg Weger
From: Jörg Weger @ 2015-01-31 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

That \citation[entry] method works fine so far.

But now two practical problems come up:

1. If I put an article from an “incollection” BibTeX entry into the
publications list the full page range of that article inside the
collection should be shown, e.g. “S. 250–262” (in German) or something
like that. If I quote a passage of said article in my text and reference
it on the same page by a footnote I want only the page number(s) to be
shown where the exact text passage can be found, let’s say e.g. “S.
253”. So the footnote cannot be exactly the same as the list try.

2. There might be other cases where the footnote reference and the list
entry might have to be different: e.g. full given names in the list vs.
only initials in the footnote, complete listing of all authors in the
list vs. et al. in the footnote etc. etc.

Is there (will there be) a way to define maybe an “entry variant” for
that purpose which in above given case would e.g. exclude the page range
so you could add the page in the footnote manually?

Meanwhile I am fine with my workaround, but future papers I will have to
write will be much more extensive, which might mean a much larger
bibliography :).

Greetings Jörg