* font search path and subfolders
@ 2015-01-31 12:40 Jörg Weger
From: Jörg Weger @ 2015-01-31 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

In my Linux home folder I have the usual “~/.fonts/” folder in which I
have put subfolders “~/.fonts/opentype/” and “~/.fonts/truetype/”.
Inside those subfolders I would like font families to have their own
subfolders. When I set the font search path by running

export
OSFONTDIR="/usr/local/share/fonts;$HOME/.fonts/opentype;$HOME/.fonts/truetype"

from the command line

followed by

mtxrun --script fonts --reload

only the fonts in the /truetype/ subfolders are recognised. This means I
have to put all my opentype fonts directly into the /opentype/ folder.
On Stackexchange I found a solution

http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/209705/context-system-font-search-path

which says that putting “//” after the folder made the search recursive,

but neither

export
OSFONTDIR="/usr/local/share/fonts//;$HOME/.fonts/opentype//;$HOME/.fonts/truetype//"

nor

export OSFONTDIR="/usr/local/share/fonts//;$HOME/.fonts//"

works for me.

What am I missing? (Typo maybe?)

Being able to put opentype font families into subfolders as well would
be a great help to keep a clear view of all my fonts.

Greetings Jörg

* Re: font search path and subfolders
@ 2015-01-31 12:54 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2015-01-31 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 1/31/2015 1:40 PM, Jörg Weger wrote:

> Being able to put opentype font families into subfolders as well would
> be a great help to keep a clear view of all my fonts.

what OSFONTDIR paths get reported (the reported paths should show what
gets scanned for what)

does

$HOME/.fonts//

work

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2015-01-31 13:22   ` Jörg Weger
From: Jörg Weger @ 2015-01-31 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Do you mean reported by

mtxrun --expand-var OSFONTDIR

?

Jörg

@ 2015-01-31 15:05 ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2015-01-31 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 01/31/2015 01:40 PM, Jörg Weger wrote:
> In my Linux home folder I have the usual “~/.fonts/” folder in which I
> have put subfolders “~/.fonts/opentype/” and “~/.fonts/truetype/”.
> Inside those subfolders I would like font families to have their own
> subfolders.
> [...]
> What am I missing? (Typo maybe?)

Hi Jörg,

it seems that // makes the search recursive.

And you have to force the font cache generation:

    mtxrun —script font —reload —force

I hope ith works,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: font search path and subfolders
@ 2015-01-31 16:35   ` Jörg Weger
From: Jörg Weger @ 2015-01-31 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

I still get (while using subfolders in ~/.fonts/opentype/)

	!LuaTeX error: cannot find OpenType font file for reading ()
	 ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!

	mtx-context     | fatal error: return code: 1

after having run

	export OSFONTDIR="/usr/local/share/fonts//;$HOME/.fonts//"

and Pablo’s proposal

	mtxrun --script fonts --reload --force

although a lot happens after latter command.

Running

	mtxrun --script fonts --list --all

lists much more fonts now than before, but the PDF rendering still fails.

After I move the OTF files from the subfolders to the parentfolder
~/.fonts/ and run

	mtxrun --script fonts --reload --force

again, the PDF just renders fine.

Any ideas?

Greetings Jörg

@ 2015-01-31 18:26     ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2015-01-31 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 01/31/2015 05:35 PM, Jörg Weger wrote:
> I still get (while using subfolders in ~/.fonts/opentype/)
>
>  	!LuaTeX error: cannot find OpenType font file for reading ()
> 	 ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!
>
> 	mtx-context     | fatal error: return code: 1
>
> after having run
>
>  	export OSFONTDIR="/usr/local/share/fonts//;$HOME/.fonts//"

Hi Jörg,

at least to avoid to run that again and again, I think you could add
that at last line of tex/setuptex.

BTW, do you have a  ~/.fonts/truetype/ directory? And does ConTeXt load
fonts from that directory without problems?

Could it be that you have an issue with permissions in the
~/.fonts/opentype/ directory?

What about creating a new directory with another name and moving your
fonts there?

I think it may be an issue with permissions.

Just in case it helps,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: font search path and subfolders
@ 2015-01-31 20:07       ` Jörg Weger
From: Jörg Weger @ 2015-01-31 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

I tried to put the subfolders into a folder ~/fonts/ instead of
~/.fonts/ – same result :-(

ls -la returns drwxr-xr-x  for ~/.fonts/ as well as for

@ 2015-02-02 22:32         ` Jörg Weger
From: Jörg Weger @ 2015-02-02 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Just did a complete reinstall and now the subfolders work. Also makes
manual uninstall of fonts much more convenient.

Cheers Jörg