From: Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>
Subject: Re: Epub format Was: Re:  Context to epub: itemize
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 21:16:11 +0100	[thread overview]

On 2/17/2015 8:24 AM, Keith J. Schultz wrote:
> Hi Axel, All,
>
> You have mentioned that most current ebook readers can not display MathML.
>
> Well, the problem lies in the epub guidelines for the readers.
>
> The problem is even worse. many readers do not even implement the full HTML5
> standard. though that is the standard used in the latest epub stadnard.
> The fact is to be considered epub readers the do not have to, it is a
> problem
> of the epub reader definition.
>
> The problem is what should ConTeXt output?
> Should it output code that implements according to the full epub standard
> OR JUST
> what is handled by most epub readers!
>
> IMHO : ConTeXt should not output XHMTL for epub, but HMTL5.
> Yes, yes, I know XHMTL is part of HMTL5.

And html 5 is just html with some extras (and assuming javascript i
guess) ... marketing.

> Another question for me is if ConTeXt should also output code for
> the iBooks epub format, (Basicaly epub, but some extras).

Isn't a book supposed to be independent and kind of portable + long term
visible? So no way that a context epub will be specific for a device. (I
probably can't even get it on / test it on my outdated ipad 1 anyway.)

> There are thing you can do in/with ConTeXt that would work with iBooks
> that do not in „ordinary“ epub books.
>
> Then, there is the Kindle format one might want to consider!

Another lock-in device.

> Another, question which needs investigation is if the ConTeXt output for
> epub,
> also, implementing the fallbacks for missing features which is required?

Context outputs three varants: regular xml, xhtml, and stupified xhtml
with div/class tagging. The last one is supposed to work on all devices
as it doesn't demands anything beyond css.

> Just some added thoughts.
>
> Basically, you can only expect ConTeXts epub output to be a starting
> point that
> then has to be tweak.

Indeed, as it's all xml one can process it into something 'better'.
There is no way we can adapt to every change in specs, so the best we
can do is something generic.

Hans

> regards
> Keith.
>
>> Am 17.02.2015 um 07:11 schrieb Axel Kielhorn <tex@axelkielhorn.de
>> <mailto:tex@axelkielhorn.de>>:
>>
>> [...]
>> Yes I know.
>> Let me rephrase the question:
>>
>> Should the symbols used in epub be identical to those used in the pdf
>> or should the css determine the look of the symbols?
>> Especially when one considers that most current ebook readers can't
>> display MathML.
>>
>> Even if I substitute the Symbols:
>>
>> \definesymbol[uni1][•]
>> \definesymbol[uni2][–]
>> \definesymbol[uni3][*]
>> \definesymbol[uni4][·]
>>
>> \setupitemgroup [itemize] [1] [symbol=uni1]
>> \setupitemgroup [itemize] [2] [symbol=uni2]
>> \setupitemgroup [itemize] [3] [symbol=uni3]
>> \setupitemgroup [itemize] [4] [symbol=uni4]
>>
>> I get a result that neither ADE nor Calibre interprets as a list.
>> (Wrapping it in <ul> </ul> doesn't help.)

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE