From: Michael Saunders <odradek5@gmail.com>
To: ntg-context@ntg.nl
Subject: Re: ntg-context Digest, Vol 69, Issue 95
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 06:00:13 -0500	[thread overview]

Wolfgang Schuster:

> \setupbodyfont[pagella]
>
> \definefontfeature[smcp][smcp=yes]
> \definefontfeature[frac][frac=yes]
>
> \setuphead[chapter][textstyle=\addfs{frac}\addfs{smcp}]

This is just an example, but what I think you mean to say by it is
that the new command \addfs{} has the behavior I describe, but only
for otf features and not for things like switching to semibold or to
condensed (and, presumably, even if I'm able to define my own commands
for things like semibold, something like:
\sb ABC \it DEF
would set the DEF at regular weight).

Since I've never seen anyone talk about \addfs{}, but only give
examples, I'm guessing (but just guessing) that there exists somewhere
a list of what otf features are active at any given point, and that
this command can add to that list.  That's great.  I might not need it
anytime soon, but I'm just curious---are there other commands of this
kind?  Maybe something to clear the list?

That leaves me the problem of installing sets with more than two
weights, more than one width and several design sizes, as we spoke
about earlier.  It's late in the day here, but I hope to try that out
tomorrow.  Just to make sure I understand the example you and Mojca
gave me:

> \definebodyfont [default] [rm]
>  [tf=Serif sa 1,
>   bf=SerifBold sa 1,
>   it=SerifItalic sa 1,
>   sl=SerifSlanted sa 1,
>   bi=SerifBoldItalic sa 1,
>   bs=SerifBoldSlanted sa 1,
>   sc=SerifCaps sa 1]
>
> You could add your
>  in=SerifYourFontVariantName sa 1,
>  bd=SerifYourOtherFontVariantName sa 1,

I think I can add this block to the top of my own typescript,
duplicate the existing definitions as shown, and, when making up my
own, I think I'm free to define font switches with more than two
characters, so, e.g.:
sbexit=SansSemiboldExtendedItalic sa 1
so, I won't be able to switch variants of this kind independently, but
at least I can get them installed.

After that, I'll move on to the optical examples and see what I can do
about that (I'm hoping they provide for automatic switching of design
size).

Thank you,

-- m