* minimal app to control layers
@ 2006-10-16 16:44 andrea valle
From: andrea valle @ 2006-10-16 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear all,

Following the thread on layers:

(1. thanks to all)

2.

I use ConTeXt for many things, but quantitatively mostly for slides.
Powerpoint is rude in its graphic abiltities but it has two features
ConTeXt has not. First, you can draw on the screen. Second, you can
import and stack images as you prefer. I'm not interested in the first
feature, as I use a specific sw for drawing, and then import the
result. But I am (sometimes) interested in the second one (let's call
it "compositing").

In ConTeXt one can evidently use layers to exactly place and stack
everything as needed (images, text). But, especially  while preparing
slides (a book worth the efforts indeed), it can be tedious to wrote
all the code stuff.

So, I created a minimal app in python using tkinter which allows to
manipulate visually areas ("boxes" in the app terms) which can the be
filled with images.
The app has a second window which continuously updates with conTeXt
code generated by the gui.

The idea is that the user prepares a visual layer, then switches to
code window,  copy the generated code and paste it in the .tex file.
Finally code is definitively modified it in the source, as usual.

It's very simple, I've tested and it seems to work. But it can be buggy.

I don't know if it can of any interest to anyone in the communities.
In any case, comments related to whatsoever aspect are welcome.

Actually, I've not documented it but it should be obvious. GUI should
be completely portable.
Sources are here:
http://www.semiotiche.it/andrea/membrana/boxer.zip

To run: >> python boxerController.py

Best

-a-

Andrea Valle
DAMS - Facoltà di Scienze della Formazione
Università degli Studi di Torino
http://www.semiotiche.it/andrea
andrea.valle@unito.it

only message in thread, other threads:[~2006-10-16 16:44 UTC | newest]