* Re: crash with new beta (2015.03.09 19:27)
       [not found] <mailman.232.1425932931.2410.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2015-03-09 21:10 ` John Kitzmiller
From: John Kitzmiller @ 2015-03-09 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

> On Mar 9, 2015, at 4:28 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:

>> Hans,
>>
>> I’m afraid that the following sample crashes ConTeXt:
>>
>>     \starttext
>>     \input knuth
>>     \stoptext
>>
>> Error message is the following:
>>
>> tex error       > error on line 1 in file /home/ousia/a.tex: ! Undefined
>> control sequence
>>

>> \anch_backgrounds_text_initialize ...ositionsused
>>                                                   \enableparpositions
>> \donot...
>> <inserted text> ...erytopofpage \anch_backgrounds_text_initialize
>>
>> \font_preloads_at_start_te...
>> \dostarttext ...ttext \relax \the \everystarttext
>>                                                   \global
>> \everystarttext \e...
>> l.1 \dostarttext
>>
>> \ctxcommand #1->\directlua {commands.#1}
>>
>> l.1 \starttext
>>
>> Could you fix this?
>
> it works here .. can others confirm the issue?

I just loaded up (2015.03.09 19:27) and get the same error as Pablo.

MacOSX?

—John

* Re: crash with new beta (2015.03.09 19:27)
@ 2015-03-09 21:22   ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2015-03-09 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 03/09/2015 10:10 PM, John Kitzmiller wrote:
>> On Mar 9, 2015, at 4:28 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> On 3/9/2015 8:11 PM, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
>>> Hans,
>>>
>>> I’m afraid that the following sample crashes ConTeXt:
>>>
>>>     \starttext
>>>     \input knuth
>>>     \stoptext
>>> [...]
>>
>> it works here .. can others confirm the issue?
>
> I just loaded up (2015.03.09 19:27) and get the same error as Pablo.

John,

it has fixed in latest beta from 2015.03.09 22:02.

> MacOSX?

No, Fedora Linux 20.

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: crash with new beta (2015.03.09 19:27)
@ 2015-03-09 21:26   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2015-03-09 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 3/9/2015 10:10 PM, John Kitzmiller wrote:

> I just loaded up (2015.03.09 19:27) and get the same error as Pablo.

patience ... betas take some time to get picked up in the garden

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Bibliographies in mkiv - announcement and WARNING!
       [not found] <mailman.232.1425932931.2410.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2015-03-11  8:50 ` Robert Blackstone
From: Robert Blackstone @ 2015-03-11  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 9 Mar 2015, at 21:28 , Alan BRASLAU <alan.braslau@cea.fr>

> ANNOUNCEMENT

> We introduced into the core of MKIV a dataset subsystem, not
> necessarily limited to the generation of bibliographic lists. This new
> subsystem has been part of the distribution for some time and an early
> first draft of its documentation had been made available.
>
> After putting the new system to heavy use in a real,
> bibliographic-intensive book project, and after much fighting
> back-and-forth over specifications and design choices, the upcoming
> beta standalone distribution will finally contain this completely
> revamped subsystem.
> Hans and Alan (also with the help of Thomas and Luigi).

Hi Alan and Hans,
Maybe it is a bit early to ask questions already about this new bibliography tool. But it really interests me and I do need it.

First of all, I compiled the ME and added a number of my own .bib entries and they all came out well. It looks as if I can just continue use my existing BibTex database in the new system and continue using BibDesk for new items, which is a very good thing. No need to generate .bbl’s separately. (Though I hope that ConTeXt will keep the possibility to process .bbl’s as before.)

My questions are:
1 The ME contains no setup, no indication of a particular Bibliography style. What comes out in the ME looks like apa. Are there style files connected with this system? If so are they accessible for tweaking (I need some rather uncommon Bibliography style, sort of apa-like but different in many details)?
2 The \cite-command turns out just some number in square brackets, no info on what is cited. Is that a bug?
3 In the old system I used \dcite[key] for footnotes but \dcite is not recognized now. Is there another way?

Best regards,
Robert Blackstone

* Re: Bibliographies in mkiv - announcement and WARNING!
@ 2015-03-11 18:08   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2015-03-11 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 3/11/2015 9:50 AM, Robert Blackstone wrote:

> On 9 Mar 2015, at 21:28 , Alan BRASLAU <alan.braslau@cea.fr
> <mailto:alan.braslau@cea.fr>>
>
>> ANNOUNCEMENT
>
>> We introduced into the core of MKIV a dataset subsystem, not
>> necessarily limited to the generation of bibliographic lists. This new
>> subsystem has been part of the distribution for some time and an early
>> first draft of its documentation had been made available.
>>
>> After putting the new system to heavy use in a real,
>> bibliographic-intensive book project, and after much fighting
>> back-and-forth over specifications and design choices, the upcoming
>> beta standalone distribution will finally contain this completely
>> revamped subsystem.
>> Hans and Alan (also with the help of Thomas and Luigi).
>>
> Hi Alan and Hans,
> Maybe it is a bit early to ask questions already about this new
> bibliography tool. But it really interests me and I do need it.
>
> First of all, I compiled the ME and added a number of my own .bib
> entries and they all came out well. It looks as if I can just continue
> use my existing BibTex database in the new system and continue using
> BibDesk for new items, which is a very good thing. No need to generate
> .bbl’s separately. (Though I hope that ConTeXt will keep the possibility
> to process .bbl’s as before.)

you can load a bbl file and it will be converted into the internal
format and can then be used, assuming the bbl is sane

> My questions are:
> 1 The ME contains no setup, no indication of a particular Bibliography
> style. What comes out in the ME looks like apa. Are there style files
> connected with this system? If so are they accessible for tweaking (I
> need some rather uncommon Bibliography style, sort of apa-like but
> different in many details)?

You need to load apa explicitly but there are some simple defaults for
article, book and a few more.

When you roll out you rown you can do two things (will b eexplained in
manual):

- copy the 'apa' files to 'foo' files
- replace all apa by foo
- tweak
- use foo

or

- define a new one foo
- that defaults to apa
- and only implment changes (with foo setups)

> 2 The \cite-command turns out just some number in square brackets, no
> info on what is cited. Is that a bug?

- it's the default cite rendering

> 3 In the old system I used \dcite[key] for footnotes but \dcite is not
> recognized now. Is there another way?

we are unware of such footnote commands but we do provide mathods to
construct registers and such

upto Alan to explain more

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2015-03-09 18:04   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2015-03-09 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 3/9/2015 6:47 PM, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
> On 03/09/2015 03:14 PM, Alan BRASLAU wrote:
>> * WARNING *
>>
>> As details of the interface have changed and the documentation is not
>> quite there yet, do not attempt to use this for any serious project for
>> the moment. And if you are presently using the pre-beta version of the
>> new subsystem that has been distributed with the standalone,
>> DO NOT UPDATE your standalone unless you are prepared to see some
>> changes.
>
> Hi Alan,
>
> I guess the changes only affect to the bibliography subsystem.
>
> I mean, if bibliographies aren’t used, updating to the new beta would be
> as risky as any other update, wouldn’t it?

no, but as there has been some additions to other modules we need to
beta in order to stay in sync .. it's not different from other betas
apart from a change in the way one sets up a bibliography which can
affect some users (no big deal once it's known how, hopefully easier)

the bibliographic subsystem itself is a complex thing using several
other subsystems and it operates on multiple axis at the same time
(datasets, renderings, lists, citations, standards like apa, fallbacks,
clever searching, sorting, tracing, user control, etc) so it took some
time (and a couple of test implementations) to see what way to set it up
works best (it has to fit into the context way of doing); also we
implemented a rather complete apa spec as test but the aps setup is not
yet updated

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2015-03-09 17:47 ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2015-03-09 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2015-03-09 14:14 Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2015-03-09 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

ANNOUNCEMENT

The MKII bibliography module (\usemodule[bib]), described in
    http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Bibliography
has undergone, first a re-write, keeping up with MKIV, then a complete
re-conception of the handling of bibliographies.

We introduced into the core of MKIV a dataset subsystem, not
necessarily limited to the generation of bibliographic lists. This new
subsystem has been part of the distribution for some time and an early
first draft of its documentation had been made available.

After putting the new system to heavy use in a real,
bibliographic-intensive book project, and after much fighting
back-and-forth over specifications and design choices, the upcoming
beta standalone distribution will finally contain this completely
revamped subsystem. Note that it is not yet complete, but has been
stabilized enough to make this revision available. The rewritten
documentation is not quite ready yet either, but a completely rewritten
new draft will be made available in a very short time. We promise!

* WARNING *

As details of the interface have changed and the documentation is not
quite there yet, do not attempt to use this for any serious project for
the moment. And if you are presently using the pre-beta version of the
new subsystem that has been distributed with the standalone,
DO NOT UPDATE your standalone unless you are prepared to see some
changes.

Hans and Alan (also with the help of Thomas and Luigi).

MWE

Below is a minimal working example:

\startbuffer [test]
@Article{article,
  Title                    = {Article title},
  Author                   = {ArticleLastnameA, FirstnameA}
                      # { and ArticleLastnameB, FirstnameB}
                      # { and ArticleLastnameC, FirstnameC}
                      # { and ArticleLastnameD, FirstnameD}
                      # { and ArticleLastnameE, FirstnameE}
                      # { and ArticleLastnameF, FirstnameF}
                      # { and ArticleLastnameG, FirstnameG},
  Journal                  = {Journal name},
  Year                     = {YYYY},

  Note                     = {note...},
  Number                   = {number},
  Pages                    = {ff--tt},
  Volume                   = {volume},

  Doi                      = {doi|-|specification},
  Keywords                 = {keyword1; keyword2; keyword3},
}

@Book{book,
  Title                    = {Book title},
  Title                    = {Title2},
  Author                   = {BookAuthorLastnameA, Firstname
                          and BookAuthorLastnameB, Firstname Middle
                          and BookAuthorLastnameC, Firstname-Combined},
  Editor                   = {EditorLastname, Firstname},
  Editor                   = {EditorLastname2, Firstname},
  Publisher                = {Publisher},
  Year                     = {YYYY},

  Address                  = {Address},
  Edition                  = {edition},