* Unicode question
@ 2015-03-12  7:48 Manfred Lotz
From: Manfred Lotz @ 2015-03-12  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi all,
If I run this minimal example

\starttext

�

\stopluacode

\stoptext

I get

tex error       > error on line 3 in file /data/tmp/u1.tex: ! String
contains an invalid utf-8 sequence

and some more lines.

The character above is:

  Character: �
   Character name: REPLACEMENT CHARACTER
        Charblock: Specials
         Category: Other symbol
          Unicode: U+fffd
             UTF8: 0xefbfbd

which is a valid utf8 character.

Questions:

1. Why is it considered to be invalid?

2. Are there other valid utf8 characters which are considered invalid?

Just wanting to understand.

--
Manfred

* Re: Unicode question
@ 2015-03-12 15:41 ` Ulrike Fischer
From: Ulrike Fischer @ 2015-03-12 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am Thu, 12 Mar 2015 08:48:27 +0100 schrieb Manfred Lotz:

> Hi all,
> If I run this minimal example
>
> \starttext
>
> �
>
> \stopluacode
>
> \stoptext
>

> I get
>
> tex error       > error on line 3 in file /data/tmp/u1.tex: ! String
> contains an invalid utf-8 sequence
>
> and some more lines.
>

> The character above is:
>
>   Character: �
>    Character name: REPLACEMENT CHARACTER
>         Charblock: Specials
>          Category: Other symbol
>           Unicode: U+fffd
>              UTF8: 0xefbfbd
>
> which is a valid utf8 character.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1. Why is it considered to be invalid?

This is not a context question/problem but related to the binary
(you would get the same error with lualatex or plain)

The luatex code contains the lines (in unistring.w)

if (val == 0xFFFD)
        utf_error();
    return (val);

in a function str2uni. I didn't really try to understand the code
but it looks as if 0xFFFD is used as "invalid marker": If luatex
encounters something that isn't valid utf8 it maps val to 0xFFFD and
then test against 0xFFFD to rise an error.

> 2. Are there other valid utf8 characters which are considered invalid?

The comment in the code says

/* the 5- and 6-byte UTF-8 sequences generate integers

that are outside of the valid UCS range, and therefore

unsupported
         */

--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/

* Re: Unicode question
@ 2015-03-12 16:35   ` Arthur Reutenauer
From: Arthur Reutenauer @ 2015-03-12 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

> The luatex code contains the lines (in unistring.w)
>
> if (val == 0xFFFD)
>         utf_error();
>     return (val);
>
> in a function str2uni. I didn't really try to understand the code
> but it looks as if 0xFFFD is used as "invalid marker":

Interesting.  This is not actually correct, U+FFFD is a valid Unicode character; it would be better to use U+FFFE or U+FFFF for that.

Note that U+FFFD is the recommended character to use when a character can't be recognised while converting to Unicode from another encoding, so its presence is usually a sign that something went wrong upstream, but I assume Manfred is aware of that.

> The comment in the code says
>
> /* the 5- and 6-byte UTF-8 sequences generate integers
>
> that are outside of the valid UCS range, and therefore
>
> unsupported
>          */

That's correct, the longest valid UTF-8 sequence is 4 bytes.

Best,

Arthur

* Re: Unicode question
@ 2015-03-12 17:57   ` Manfred Lotz
From: Manfred Lotz @ 2015-03-12 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Thu, 12 Mar 2015 16:41:59 +0100
Ulrike Fischer <news3@nililand.de> wrote:

> Am Thu, 12 Mar 2015 08:48:27 +0100 schrieb Manfred Lotz:
>
> > Hi all,
> > If I run this minimal example
> >
> > \starttext
> >
> > �
> >
> > \stopluacode
> >
> > \stoptext
> >

> > I get
> >
> > tex error       > error on line 3 in file /data/tmp/u1.tex: ! String
> > contains an invalid utf-8 sequence
> >
> > and some more lines.
> >

> > The character above is:
> >
> >   Character: �
> >    Character name: REPLACEMENT CHARACTER
> >         Charblock: Specials
> >          Category: Other symbol
> >           Unicode: U+fffd
> >              UTF8: 0xefbfbd
> >
> > which is a valid utf8 character.
> >
> > Questions:
> >
> > 1. Why is it considered to be invalid?
>
> This is not a context question/problem but related to the binary
> (you would get the same error with lualatex or plain)

Yes, I know.

> The luatex code contains the lines (in unistring.w)
>
> if (val == 0xFFFD)
>         utf_error();
>     return (val);
>
> in a function str2uni. I didn't really try to understand the code
> but it looks as if 0xFFFD is used as "invalid marker": If luatex
> encounters something that isn't valid utf8 it maps val to 0xFFFD and
> then test against 0xFFFD to rise an error.

Took me a while to find the repository but finally I got it.

> > 2. Are there other valid utf8 characters which are considered
> > invalid?
>
> The comment in the code says
>
> /* the 5- and 6-byte UTF-8 sequences generate integers
>
> that are outside of the valid UCS range, and therefore
>
> unsupported
>          */

Well, it is called REPLACEMENT CHARACTER, and it seems that this
character will be used to replace invalid characters.  Then it causes
 if (val == 0xFFFD)
        utf_error();

the error message
    tex_error("String contains an invalid utf-8 sequence", hlp);

to be displayed.

Ok, this answers my question.

Thanks for the pointer.

--
Manfred

* Re: Unicode question
@ 2015-03-12 18:08     ` Manfred Lotz
From: Manfred Lotz @ 2015-03-12 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi Arthur,

On Thu, 12 Mar 2015 16:35:47 +0000
Arthur Reutenauer <arthur.reutenauer@normalesup.org> wrote:

> > The luatex code contains the lines (in unistring.w)
> >
> > if (val == 0xFFFD)
> >         utf_error();
> >     return (val);
> >
> > in a function str2uni. I didn't really try to understand the code
> > but it looks as if 0xFFFD is used as "invalid marker":
>
> Interesting.  This is not actually correct, U+FFFD is a valid Unicode
> character; it would be better to use U+FFFE or U+FFFF for that.
>
> Note that U+FFFD is the recommended character to use when a character
> can't be recognised while converting to Unicode from another
> encoding, so its presence is usually a sign that something went wrong
> upstream, but I assume Manfred is aware of that.

Yes, I'm aware of that. So I also think that it isn't correct to use
U+FFFD for this. Your suggestion of using either U+FFFE or U+FFFF
sounds good as both are really invalid.

--
Best, Manfred

* Re: Unicode question
@ 2015-03-12 18:55     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2015-03-12 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 3/12/2015 6:57 PM, Manfred Lotz wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Mar 2015 16:41:59 +0100
> Ulrike Fischer <news3@nililand.de> wrote:
>
>> Am Thu, 12 Mar 2015 08:48:27 +0100 schrieb Manfred Lotz:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>> If I run this minimal example
>>>
>>> \starttext
>>>
>>> �
>>>
>>> \stopluacode
>>>
>>> \stoptext
>>>

>>> I get
>>>
>>> tex error       > error on line 3 in file /data/tmp/u1.tex: ! String
>>> contains an invalid utf-8 sequence
>>>
>>> and some more lines.
>>>

>>> The character above is:
>>>
>>>    Character: �
>>>     Character name: REPLACEMENT CHARACTER
>>>          Charblock: Specials
>>>           Category: Other symbol
>>>            Unicode: U+fffd
>>>               UTF8: 0xefbfbd
>>>
>>> which is a valid utf8 character.
>>>
>>> Questions:
>>>
>>> 1. Why is it considered to be invalid?
>>
>> This is not a context question/problem but related to the binary
>> (you would get the same error with lualatex or plain)
>>

> Yes, I know.
>
>> The luatex code contains the lines (in unistring.w)
>>
>> if (val == 0xFFFD)
>>          utf_error();
>>      return (val);
>>
>> in a function str2uni. I didn't really try to understand the code
>> but it looks as if 0xFFFD is used as "invalid marker": If luatex
>> encounters something that isn't valid utf8 it maps val to 0xFFFD and
>> then test against 0xFFFD to rise an error.
>>

> Took me a while to find the repository but finally I got it.
>

>>> 2. Are there other valid utf8 characters which are considered
>>> invalid?
>>
>> The comment in the code says
>>
>> /* the 5- and 6-byte UTF-8 sequences generate integers
>>
>> that are outside of the valid UCS range, and therefore
>>
>> unsupported
>>           */
>>

> Well, it is called REPLACEMENT CHARACTER, and it seems that this
> character will be used to replace invalid characters.  Then it causes
>   if (val == 0xFFFD)
>          utf_error();
>
> the error message
>      tex_error("String contains an invalid utf-8 sequence", hlp);
>
> to be displayed.
>
> Ok, this answers my question.
>
> Thanks for the pointer.

it's actually a bug ... it is ok to map an invalid character in the
input to 0xFFFD, halt and continue when permitted, but the method used
in luatex thereby obscures a valid 0xFFFD in the input

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Unicode question
@ 2015-03-12 19:04       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2015-03-12 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 3/12/2015 7:08 PM, Manfred Lotz wrote:
> Hi Arthur,
>
> On Thu, 12 Mar 2015 16:35:47 +0000
> Arthur Reutenauer <arthur.reutenauer@normalesup.org> wrote:
>
>>> The luatex code contains the lines (in unistring.w)
>>>
>>> if (val == 0xFFFD)
>>>          utf_error();
>>>      return (val);
>>>
>>> in a function str2uni. I didn't really try to understand the code
>>> but it looks as if 0xFFFD is used as "invalid marker":
>>
>> Interesting.  This is not actually correct, U+FFFD is a valid Unicode
>> character; it would be better to use U+FFFE or U+FFFF for that.
>>
>> Note that U+FFFD is the recommended character to use when a character
>> can't be recognised while converting to Unicode from another
>> encoding, so its presence is usually a sign that something went wrong
>> upstream, but I assume Manfred is aware of that.
>>

> Yes, I'm aware of that. So I also think that it isn't correct to use
> U+FFFD for this. Your suggestion of using either U+FFFE or U+FFFF
> sounds good as both are really invalid.

it's an attempt to recover but in the process a normal 0xFFFD triggers
an error too; recovering to 0xFFFD for a really invalid input is ok as
tex does that in more cases: i expected a } so i insert one here ...
cross your fingers etc

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Unicode question
@ 2015-03-12 20:41       ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2015-03-12 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 7:55 PM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> it's actually a bug ... it is ok to map an invalid character in the input
> to 0xFFFD, halt and continue when permitted, but the method used in luatex
> thereby obscures a valid 0xFFFD in the input
>
>  FFFD  REPLACEMENT CHARACTER
• used to replace an incoming character whose
value is unknown or unrepresentable in
Unicode

The meaning of FFFD is not "typeset a question mark on a black box" as in �
(which depends to font in anycase so in principle it's possible to see
something completely different in a new version of the font)
but to signal  something potentially wrong with a symbol that currently in
most cases is �.
Misusing the meaning  is not  bad di per se, but in this specific case
I think luatex is correct to be conservative and ask to the user what to do;
context --batchmode
typesets the document,
writes the messages on the log,
and ends with -1 , so an automatic agent is also alerted.

--
luigi

* Re: Unicode question
@ 2015-03-12 20:52         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2015-03-12 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 3/12/2015 9:41 PM, luigi scarso wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 7:55 PM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl
> <mailto:pragma@wxs.nl>> wrote:
>
>     it's actually a bug ... it is ok to map an invalid character in the
>     input to 0xFFFD, halt and continue when permitted, but the method
>     used in luatex thereby obscures a valid 0xFFFD in the input
>
>   FFFD  REPLACEMENT CHARACTER
> • used to replace an incoming character whose
> value is unknown or unrepresentable in
> Unicode

the question is not what to do when an invalid character comes in, in
that case luatex can replace it by 0xFFFD and issue a error as now,

but when the input hasn't an 0xFFFD then luatex should just carry on as
0xFFFD is a *valid* character

it is quite easy for a macro package to trigger an error as

   \catcode"FFFD=15

will do thatm but it's impossible for a macro package to intercept the
weird interception by luatex's input handler

> The meaning of FFFD is not "typeset a question mark on a black box" as in �
> (which depends to font in anycase so in principle it's possible to see
> something completely different in a new version of the font)
> but to signal  something potentially wrong with a symbol that currently
> in most cases is �.
> Misusing the meaning  is not  bad di per se, but in this specific case
> I think luatex is correct to be conservative and ask to the user what to do;
> context --batchmode
> typesets the document,
> writes the messages on the log,
> and ends with -1 , so an automatic agent is also alerted.

you cannot force a user to use \batchmode and -1 would abort a wrapper
thereby leading to an invalid document; it means that luatex can never
typeset a document where char 0xFFFD is being typeset and luatex should
not be normative

not accepting 0xFFFD in the input is a bug

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE