* currentreferencerealpage wrong (how to detect even/odd pages?)
@ 2015-03-15 15:40 Harald Koenig
From: Harald Koenig @ 2015-03-15 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ConTeXt users

Hi,

right now I use \currentreferencerealpage to detect if I'm on an even or odd page
(because my picture placement rules depend on it) like this:

\newcount\bildpage
\bildpage=1
% ...
\def\bild#1...{%
     {\global\bildpage=\realpageno}%
     \ifodd\bildpage \def\eo{o}\else \def\eo{e}\fi
     % ...
     \if o\eo odd...\else even...\fi
    \message{>> bildpage=\the\bildpage \space eo=\eo \space currentreferencerealpage=\currentreferencerealpage \space << }%
}

but now I notice that for some pages/pictures the value of \currentreferencerealpage
is not correct (only for the first picture on a new page?):-(

I'm writing some ">> ... <<" data to the log file:

pages           > flushing realpage 34, userpage 34
>> bildpage=35 eo=o currentreferencerealpage=35 <<
>> bildpage=35 eo=o currentreferencerealpage=35 <<
pages           > flushing realpage 35, userpage 35
>> bildpage=35 eo=o currentreferencerealpage=35 <<
>> bildpage=36 eo=e currentreferencerealpage=36 <<
pages           > flushing realpage 36, userpage 36
>> bildpage=37 eo=o currentreferencerealpage=0 <<
>> bildpage=37 eo=o currentreferencerealpage=0 <<
>> bildpage=37 eo=o currentreferencerealpage=0 <<

typically after that "flushing realpage XX, userpage XX" messages (not from me;)
the currentreferencerealpage is set to the new page number.

but NOT for page 36:  here after "flushing realpage 35"
it's still currentreferencerealpage=35 for the first picture on this page:-(

any idea how this can go wrong ?
what can I test, which debug info can  I provide ?
is there a possible

the attached zip file contains a "minimal" example
with only 2 pages and 4 images: on the 2nd page (#36)
the first image should bleed to the left like all other pictures...

so far this seems to happen 3 times according to the log file:

pages           > flushing realpage 10, userpage 10
>> bildpage=11 eo=o currentreferencerealpage=11 <<
>> bildpage=12 eo=e currentreferencerealpage=12 <<
pages           > flushing realpage 11, userpage 11

pages           > flushing realpage 14, userpage 14
>> bildpage=15 eo=o currentreferencerealpage=15 <<
>> bildpage=15 eo=o currentreferencerealpage=15 <<
>> bildpage=16 eo=e currentreferencerealpage=16 <<
pages           > flushing realpage 15, userpage 15

thanks for any help,

Harald
--
"I hope to die                                      ___       _____
before I *have* to use Microsoft Word.",           0--,|    /OOOOOOO\

* Re: currentreferencerealpage wrong (how to detect even/odd pages?)
@ 2015-03-15 15:43 ` Harald Koenig
From: Harald Koenig @ 2015-03-15 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ConTeXt users

On Mar 15, Harald Koenig wrote:

> the attached zip file contains a "minimal" example
> with only 2 pages and 4 images: on the 2nd page (#36)
> the first image should bleed to the left like all other pictures...

2nd try for the attachment -- sorry!

Harald
--
"I hope to die                                      ___       _____
before I *have* to use Microsoft Word.",           0--,|    /OOOOOOO\
Donald E. Knuth, 02-Oct-2001 in Tuebingen.        <_/  /  /OOOOOOOOOOO\
                                                    \  \/OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO\
                                                      \ OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO|//
                                                       \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
Harald Koenig                                           //  /     \\  \
koenig@tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de                     ^^^^^       ^^^^^

[-- Attachment #2: i1.zip --]
[-- Type: application/zip, Size: 66276 bytes --]

* Re: currentreferencerealpage wrong (how to detect even/odd pages?)
@ 2015-03-15 16:51 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2015-03-15 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 15.03.2015 um 16:40 schrieb Harald Koenig <koenig@tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de>:
>
> Hi,
>
> right now I use \currentreferencerealpage to detect if I'm on an even or odd page
> (because my picture placement rules depend on it) like this:
>
> \newcount\bildpage
> \bildpage=1
> % ...
> \def\bild#1...{%
>     {\global\bildpage=\realpageno}%
>     \ifodd\bildpage \def\eo{o}\else \def\eo{e}\fi
>     % ...
>     \if o\eo odd...\else even...\fi
>    \message{>> bildpage=\the\bildpage \space eo=\eo \space currentreferencerealpage=\currentreferencerealpage \space << }%
> }
>
> but now I notice that for some pages/pictures the value of \currentreferencerealpage
> is not correct (only for the first picture on a new page?):-(

To test whether you’re on a left or right page you can use the \signalrightpage and \doifrightpageelse commands.

%\setuppagenumbering[alternative={singlesided,doublesided}]

\starttext

\dorecurse{100}
  {\dontleavehmode\signalrightpage
   \doifrightpageelse{Right page}{Left page}
   \blank[line]}

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: currentreferencerealpage wrong (how to detect even/odd pages?)
@ 2015-03-15 19:13   ` Harald Koenig
From: Harald Koenig @ 2015-03-15 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mar 15, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> > Am 15.03.2015 um 16:40 schrieb Harald Koenig <koenig@tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de>:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > right now I use \currentreferencerealpage to detect if I'm on an even or odd page
> > (because my picture placement rules depend on it) like this:
> >
> > \newcount\bildpage
> > \bildpage=1
> > % ...
> > \def\bild#1...{%
> >     {\global\bildpage=\realpageno}%
> >     \ifodd\bildpage \def\eo{o}\else \def\eo{e}\fi
> >     % ...
> >     \if o\eo odd...\else even...\fi
> >    \message{>> bildpage=\the\bildpage \space eo=\eo \space currentreferencerealpage=\currentreferencerealpage \space << }%
> > }
> >
> > but now I notice that for some pages/pictures the value of \currentreferencerealpage
> > is not correct (only for the first picture on a new page?):-(
>
> To test whether you’re on a left or right page you can use the \signalrightpage and \doifrightpageelse commands

this doesn't seem to work well -- at least not within \placefigure

I've tried this replacement in my \bild macro which should be equivalent (or better?)

%   \ifodd\bildpage \def\eo{o}\else \def\eo{e}\fi
%   \ifodd\bildpage \def\lr{r}\else \def\lr{l}\fi
    \dontleavehmode\signalrightpage
    \doifrightpageelse{\def\eo{o}}{\def\eo{e}}%
    \doifrightpageelse{\def\lr{r}}{\def\lr{r}}%

(with and without \dontleavehmode\signalrightpage)
and now I get more wrong picture placements for the first picture on some pages...

I vaguely remember that

     {\global\bildpage=\currentreferencerealpage}%
     {\global\bildpage=\realpageno}%

was a hack from Hans to work arround "issues" to get the real page number within those floats ?!

Harald
--

@ 2015-03-16 10:27     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2015-03-16 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 3/15/2015 8:13 PM, Harald Koenig wrote:
> On Mar 15, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>

>>> Am 15.03.2015 um 16:40 schrieb Harald Koenig <koenig@tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de>:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> right now I use \currentreferencerealpage to detect if I'm on an even or odd page
>>> (because my picture placement rules depend on it) like this:
>>>
>>> \newcount\bildpage
>>> \bildpage=1
>>> % ...
>>> \def\bild#1...{%
>>>      {\global\bildpage=\realpageno}%
>>>      \ifodd\bildpage \def\eo{o}\else \def\eo{e}\fi
>>>      % ...
>>>      \if o\eo odd...\else even...\fi
>>>     \message{>> bildpage=\the\bildpage \space eo=\eo \space currentreferencerealpage=\currentreferencerealpage \space << }%
>>> }
>>>
>>> but now I notice that for some pages/pictures the value of \currentreferencerealpage
>>> is not correct (only for the first picture on a new page?):-(
>>
>> To test whether you’re on a left or right page you can use the \signalrightpage and \doifrightpageelse commands
>
> this doesn't seem to work well -- at least not within \placefigure
>
> I've tried this replacement in my \bild macro which should be equivalent (or better?)
>
> %   \ifodd\bildpage \def\eo{o}\else \def\eo{e}\fi
> %   \ifodd\bildpage \def\lr{r}\else \def\lr{l}\fi
>      \dontleavehmode\signalrightpage
>      \doifrightpageelse{\def\eo{o}}{\def\eo{e}}%
>      \doifrightpageelse{\def\lr{r}}{\def\lr{r}}%
>
> (with and without \dontleavehmode\signalrightpage)
> and now I get more wrong picture placements for the first picture on some pages...

you need to make sure that the signal travels with the stuff you're
checking

btw, if you use side floats, the inner/outer variants do this auto
left/right stuff

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE