* slightly offtopic: disabling autoresizing of adobe reader window when opening pdf document
@ 2015-04-02 16:36 Csikos Bela
From: Csikos Bela @ 2015-04-02 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello:

This is kind of offtopic, still I post it here since it only occurs when  I open some context manuals.

I use Adobe Reader (acroread) 9.5.5 linux version. Frequently, when I open a context
related document, eg  NaturalTables.pdf downloaded from contextgarden
(http://dl.contextgarden.net/myway/NaturalTables.pdf), the document triggers resizing
of adobe reader main window. This is very annoying, especially if I have several other
documents open in separate tabs; all these tabs are resized as well and I have to adjust
back the window size manually. I tried different settings in preferences but couldn't find a
way to disable this behavior. How could I block autoresizing?

I also googled but could not find any answer to this (though others have the same
problem as well, eg https://forums.adobe.com/thread/793230).

I write here since for me only context documents triggers this, so I guess context users
know about this more.

Thanks,

bcsikos

* Re: slightly offtopic: disabling autoresizing of adobe reader window when opening pdf document
@ 2015-04-03  5:09 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2015-04-03  5:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2015-04-02 um 22:36 schrieb Csikos Bela <bcsikos425@freemail.hu>:

> I use Adobe Reader (acroread) 9.5.5 linux version. Frequently, when I open a context
> related document, eg  NaturalTables.pdf downloaded from contextgarden
> (http://dl.contextgarden.net/myway/NaturalTables.pdf), the document triggers resizing
> of adobe reader main window. This is very annoying, especially if I have several other
> documents open in separate tabs; all these tabs are resized as well and I have to adjust
> back the window size manually. I tried different settings in preferences but couldn't find a
> way to disable this behavior. How could I block autoresizing?
>
> I also googled but could not find any answer to this (though others have the same
> problem as well, eg https://forums.adobe.com/thread/793230).
>
> I write here since for me only context documents triggers this, so I guess context users
> know about this more.

It’s a setting that every PDF can trigger, if it’s configured that way. Normally you would do that only in Acrobat Pro for interactive documents.

I guess Hans thought it would be a good idea at that time… ;)

Greetlings, Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
https://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

* Re: slightly offtopic: disabling autoresizing of adobe reader window when opening pdf document
@ 2015-04-03  9:52   ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2015-04-03  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 04/03/2015 07:09 AM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
> Am 2015-04-02 um 22:36 schrieb Csikos Bela:
>
>> I use Adobe Reader (acroread) 9.5.5 linux version. Frequently, when I open a context
>> related document, eg  NaturalTables.pdf downloaded from contextgarden
>> (http://dl.contextgarden.net/myway/NaturalTables.pdf), the document triggers resizing
>> of adobe reader main window. This is very annoying, especially if I have several other
>> documents open in separate tabs; all these tabs are resized as well and I have to adjust
>> back the window size manually. I tried different settings in preferences but couldn't find a
>> way to disable this behavior. How could I block autoresizing?
>>
>> I also googled but could not find any answer to this (though others have the same
>> problem as well, eg https://forums.adobe.com/thread/793230).
>>
>> I write here since for me only context documents triggers this, so I guess context users
>> know about this more.
>
> It’s a setting that every PDF can trigger, if it’s configured that
> way. Normally you would do that only in Acrobat Pro for interactive
> documents.

Hi Csikos,

I’m afraid you can’t block autoresizing.

As Hraban noted, the document has the following information:

   /ViewerPreferences << /FitWindow true>>>

According to the PDF specification, this means:

   /FitWindow: A flag specifying whether to resize the document’s
   window to fit the size of the first displayed page.

Adobe doesn’t ignore the flag when it is set to true.

If you are on Linux, evince may do what you want.

Just in case it helps,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk