* Permission denied
@ 2003-11-13 19:30 Idris S Hamid
From: Idris S Hamid @ 2003-11-13 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi guys,

just reinstalled things, and eomega plus gamma gives me the following:

This is e-Omegak, Version 3.14159--1.15--2.1 (Web2c 7.4.5)
 %&-line parsing enabled.
Copyright (c) 2002 the e-Omega task force
eomega.exe: context.fls: Permission denied

Any idea what I'm missing?

best
Idris

* Re: Permission denied
@ 2003-11-13 21:37 ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2003-11-13 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thursday, November 13, 2003 Idris S Hamid wrote:

> Hi guys,

> just reinstalled things, and eomega plus gamma gives me the following:

> This is e-Omegak, Version 3.14159--1.15--2.1 (Web2c 7.4.5)
>  %&-line parsing enabled.
> Copyright (c) 2002 the e-Omega task force
> eomega.exe: context.fls: Permission denied

> Any idea what I'm missing?

No. This looks like a system(Web2C)-dependent issue, though: AFAIK
neither ConTeXt nor eOmega themselves look for *.fls files (I
don't even know what .fls stands for ...) What happens with
Lambda?

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

* Re: Permission denied
@ 2003-11-13 22:20   ` Idris S Hamid
From: Idris S Hamid @ 2003-11-13 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

I think I found the problem:

I backed up some stuff on a cd; when I transferred the files to my other
computer all the file properties read "read-only", so whenever eomega tried
to modify a temporary file (fls, log, etc) it was denied permission.

Is there a way in windows to globally change every file in a given directory
from read-only?

Apparently, texexec and eomega each creates fls files on each run.
context.fls lists the installation directories, etc.

Best
Idris

Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:

> Thursday, November 13, 2003 Idris S Hamid wrote:> Any idea what I'm
> missing?
>
> No. This looks like a system(Web2C)-dependent issue, though: AFAIK
> neither ConTeXt nor eOmega themselves look for *.fls files (I
> don't even know what .fls stands for ...) What happens with
> Lambda?

* Re[2]: Permission denied
@ 2003-11-13 22:58     ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2003-11-13 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thursday, November 13, 2003 Idris S Hamid wrote:

> I think I found the problem:

> I backed up some stuff on a cd; when I transferred the files to my other
> computer all the file properties read "read-only", so whenever eomega tried
> to modify a temporary file (fls, log, etc) it was denied permission.

> Is there a way in windows to globally change every file in a given directory
> from read-only?

If all the files are in the same directory, just select them
all, right click and deselect the read-only attribute.
Otherwise, get the shareware filemanager "Total Commander" from
www.ghisler.com; it has a "flat" view that allows you to see
all files in all subdirectories of a particular directory and
manipulate them all together.

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

* Re: Permission denied
@ 2003-11-19 17:39       ` Ed L Cashin
From: Ed L Cashin @ 2003-11-19 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Giuseppe Bilotta <gip.bilotta@iol.it> writes:

> Thursday, November 13, 2003 Idris S Hamid wrote:
>
>> I think I found the problem:
>
>> I backed up some stuff on a cd; when I transferred the files to my other
>> computer all the file properties read "read-only", so whenever eomega tried
>> to modify a temporary file (fls, log, etc) it was denied permission.
>
>> Is there a way in windows to globally change every file in a given directory
>> from read-only?
>
> If all the files are in the same directory, just select them
> all, right click and deselect the read-only attribute.
> Otherwise, get the shareware filemanager "Total Commander" from
> www.ghisler.com; it has a "flat" view that allows you to see
> all files in all subdirectories of a particular directory and
> manipulate them all together.

Or if you have an interest, you can install the Cygnus tools and from
the command line do,

  cd my_directory
  find . ! -perm -0200 -print0 | xargs -0 chmod u+w

... which says, find everything under this subdirectory that doesn't
have write permission for the file owner, and turn on write permission
for the file owner on those files.

--
--Ed L Cashin            |   PGP public key:
  ecashin@uga.edu        |   http://noserose.net/e/pgp/

* Re: Permission denied
@ 2003-11-19 21:37         ` Idris S Hamid
From: Idris S Hamid @ 2003-11-19 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thnx Ed and Giuseppe 4 your help & direction.

Question: When backing up to cd is there any way to maintain write-permission upon
retransfer to hard disk? I use Nero for back-up. This is getting off-topic I
know...

Best & thnx
Idris

@ 2003-11-20  8:59           ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2003-11-20  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wednesday, November 19, 2003 Idris S Hamid wrote:

> Thnx Ed and Giuseppe 4 your help & direction.

> Question: When backing up to cd is there any way to
> maintain write-permission upon
> retransfer to hard disk? I use Nero for back-up. This is getting off-topic I
> know...

No because the read-only attribute is set at time of copying
from CD, not of writing TO the CD. It's an operating system,
uhm, 'feature'.

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta