* [MetaFun] Trying to understand outlinetext, 'stretch' effect and \kerncharacters
@ 2021-12-31  2:13 kauśika via ntg-context
From: kauśika via ntg-context @ 2021-12-31  2:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: kauśika

Dear list,

I have the following graphic

\startuseMPgraphic{TitleGraphic}
draw outlinetext.b (\MPstring{TitleText})
    (withcolor "titlefg")
    (withcolor "titleoutline");
\stopuseMPgraphic

which I tried to use as follows to produce a stylized 'title' head:

\setupMPtext{TitleText}{%
\starteffect[stretch]\bfc\namedstructurevariable{title}{title}\stopeffect}
\useMPgraphic{TitleGraphic}

[colors "titlefg" and "titleoutline" are set using \definecolor]

But, the 'stretch' effect caused by \starteffect[stretch]…\stopeffect does not
work with 'outlinetext' method in the MPgraphic. I have verified that the
desired effect is produced using 'textext' method instead. But in that case I
have to cheat (i.e draw twice; once with blownup) to get the text outline.

Now, if I write instead

\setupMPtext{TitleText}{%
\kerncharacters[0.15]\bfc\namedstructurevariable{title}{title}}
\useMPgraphic{TitleGraphic}

then the desired effect is produced. As such, my purpose is served well by
using \kerncharacters.

Nonetheless, I request your kind help in understanding why this is happening
and/or if I am doing something wrong.

Thanks,
kauśika

* Re: [MetaFun] Trying to understand outlinetext, 'stretch' effect and \kerncharacters
@ 2021-12-31  2:15 ` kauśika via ntg-context
From: kauśika via ntg-context @ 2021-12-31  2:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: kauśika

On Friday, December 31, 2021 7:43:21 AM IST kauśika wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I have the following graphic
>
> \startuseMPgraphic{TitleGraphic}
> draw outlinetext.b (\MPstring{TitleText})
>     (withcolor "titlefg")
>     (withcolor "titleoutline");
> \stopuseMPgraphic
>
> which I tried to use as follows to produce a stylized 'title' head:
>
> \setupMPtext{TitleText}{%
> \starteffect[stretch]\bfc\namedstructurevariable{title}{title}\stopeffect}
> \useMPgraphic{TitleGraphic}
>
> [colors "titlefg" and "titleoutline" are set using \definecolor]
>
> But, the 'stretch' effect caused by \starteffect[stretch]…\stopeffect does
> not work with 'outlinetext' method in the MPgraphic. I have verified that
> the desired effect is produced using 'textext' method instead. But in that
> case I have to cheat (i.e draw twice; once with blownup) to get the text
> outline.
>
> Now, if I write instead
>
> \setupMPtext{TitleText}{%
> \kerncharacters[0.15]\bfc\namedstructurevariable{title}{title}}
> \useMPgraphic{TitleGraphic}
>
> then the desired effect is produced. As such, my purpose is served well by
> using \kerncharacters.
>
> Nonetheless, I request your kind help in understanding why this is happening
> and/or if I am doing something wrong.
>
> Thanks,
> kauśika

Please read '\setupMPtext' as '\setMPtext' in the above. Apologies for the
typos.

@ 2022-01-01 10:15 ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2022-01-01 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12/31/2021 3:13 AM, kauśika via ntg-context wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I have the following graphic
>
> \startuseMPgraphic{TitleGraphic}
> draw outlinetext.b (\MPstring{TitleText})
>      (withcolor "titlefg")
>      (withcolor "titleoutline");
> \stopuseMPgraphic
>
> which I tried to use as follows to produce a stylized 'title' head:
>
> \setupMPtext{TitleText}{%
> \starteffect[stretch]\bfc\namedstructurevariable{title}{title}\stopeffect}
> \useMPgraphic{TitleGraphic}

low level pdf magic ... so not done in mp

> [colors "titlefg" and "titleoutline" are set using \definecolor]
>
> But, the 'stretch' effect caused by \starteffect[stretch]…\stopeffect does not
> work with 'outlinetext' method in the MPgraphic. I have verified that the
> desired effect is produced using 'textext' method instead. But in that case I
> have to cheat (i.e draw twice; once with blownup) to get the text outline.
>
> Now, if I write instead
>
> \setupMPtext{TitleText}{%
> \kerncharacters[0.15]\bfc\namedstructurevariable{title}{title}}
> \useMPgraphic{TitleGraphic}

tex magic so done in tex

> then the desired effect is produced. As such, my purpose is served well by
> using \kerncharacters.
>
> Nonetheless, I request your kind help in understanding why this is happening
> and/or if I am doing something wrong.
\starteffect is kind of old (comes from mkii), but you could use the
pseudo font feature effect in mkiv / lmtx which then makes a real font
instance instead of mixing in some pdf magic

Hans

* Re: [MetaFun] Trying to understand outlinetext, 'stretch' effect and \kerncharacters
@ 2022-01-01 10:27   ` kauśika via ntg-context
From: kauśika via ntg-context @ 2022-01-01 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Saturday, January 1, 2022 3:45:36 PM IST Hans Hagen wrote:
> \starteffect is kind of old (comes from mkii), but you could use the
> pseudo font feature effect in mkiv / lmtx which then makes a real font
> instance instead of mixing in some pdf magic

Thanks for the explanations Hans! Happy new year wishes to you!

kauśika