* output file size with repeated image
@ 2015-04-14 17:07 Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2015-04-14 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

    \stopmode
    \startmode[no-image]
    \dorecurse{10}{
                \input zapf\par}}}
    \stopmode
    \stoptext

Output file sizes with different modes are the following:

    --mode=repeated-image    745KB

    --mode=single-image      303KB

    --mode=no-image          302KB

Although the image is the same (and it is only embedded once) file size
with repeated image is almost two and a half times that the version with
a single image.

Is this right or am I missing something?

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: output file size with repeated image
@ 2015-04-14 17:39 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2015-04-14 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 4/14/2015 7:07 PM, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I have the following sample:
>
>      \setupexternalfigure[location=default]
>      \starttext
>      \startmode[repeated-image]
>      \dorecurse{10}{
>          \dorecurse{10}{
>              \dorecurse{10}{
>                  \externalfigure[cow]\input zapf\par}}}
>      \stopmode
>      \startmode[single-image]
>      \externalfigure[cow]
>      \dorecurse{10}{
>          \dorecurse{10}{
>              \dorecurse{10}{
>                  \input zapf\par}}}
>      \stopmode
>      \startmode[no-image]
>      \dorecurse{10}{
>          \dorecurse{10}{
>              \dorecurse{10}{
>                  \input zapf\par}}}
>      \stopmode
>      \stoptext
>
> Output file sizes with different modes are the following:
>
>      --mode=repeated-image    745KB
>
>      --mode=single-image      303KB
>
>      --mode=no-image          302KB
>
> Although the image is the same (and it is only embedded once) file size
> with repeated image is almost two and a half times that the version with
> a single image.
>
> Is this right or am I missing something?

(1) each reference to an image takes some 40 bytes (uncompressed)
(2) when you include the image n times you get 3 times as many pages
which means 400 more page descriptions etc, so you need to add 2 times
no image minus font overhead which is about what you see

context does some aggressive object sharing anyway so on the average the
pdf files produced are quite efficient

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2015-04-14 18:17   ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2015-04-14 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 04/14/2015 07:39 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> [...]
>> Although the image is the same (and it is only embedded once) file size
>> with repeated image is almost two and a half times that the version with
>> a single image.
>>
>> Is this right or am I missing something?
>
> (1) each reference to an image takes some 40 bytes (uncompressed)
> (2) when you include the image n times you get 3 times as many pages
> which means 400 more page descriptions etc, so you need to add 2 times
> no image minus font overhead which is about what you see
>
> context does some aggressive object sharing anyway so on the average the
> pdf files produced are quite efficient

Many thanks for your explanation, Hans.

I totally missed the the triple pages with repeated images.

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk