* A macro which gives a random name
@ 2015-04-18 16:55 Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2015-04-18 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi everyone,

In the example below I define a macro which chooses at random a name from a list of names. But I wonder whether this can be done in a more clever way without using a numerical macro created with math.random in Lua. The shortcoming of the macro below is that before hand I must know the nomber of elements in the list of names (for instance 5 in the example below), while it may happen that I need to create as many as random names that there are elements in the list, but sometimes I don’t know what is this number.

Thanks for any insight and help.
Best regards: OK
%%%% begin random-names.tex
\setuprandomize[2015] % set a seed

\starttext

\startluacode
	Name = {'F', 'G', 'u', 'v', 'W'}
\stopluacode

\define[3]\RandomName{%
	\setevalue{Named#1}{\ctxlua{tex.print(math.random(#2,#3))}}}
\define\RandomFunctionName{\ctxlua{tex.print(Name[\NamedFunctionNumber])}}

\dorecurse{10}{\RandomName{FunctionNumber}{1}{5}%
Give an example of a function $\RandomFunctionName : {\Bbb R} \longrightarrow {\Bbb R}$ which has a derivative only at the origin, and such that $\RandomFunctionName(0) = 1$.\par \hairline\par}

\stoptext
%%%% begin random-names.tex

* Re: A macro which gives a random name
@ 2015-04-18 17:23 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2015-04-18 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 18.04.2015 um 18:55 schrieb Otared Kavian <otared@gmail.com>:
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> In the example below I define a macro which chooses at random a name from a list of names. But I wonder whether this can be done in a more clever way without using a numerical macro created with math.random in Lua. The shortcoming of the macro below is that before hand I must know the nomber of elements in the list of names (for instance 5 in the example below), while it may happen that I need to create as many as random names that there are elements in the list, but sometimes I don’t know what is this number.
>
> Thanks for any insight and help.
> Best regards: OK
> %%%% begin random-names.tex
> \setuprandomize[2015] % set a seed
>
> \starttext
>
> \startluacode
> 	Name = {'F', 'G', 'u', 'v', 'W'}
> \stopluacode
>
> \define[3]\RandomName{%
> 	\setevalue{Named#1}{\ctxlua{tex.print(math.random(#2,#3))}}}
> \define\RandomFunctionName{\ctxlua{tex.print(Name[\NamedFunctionNumber])}}
>
> \dorecurse{10}{\RandomName{FunctionNumber}{1}{5}%
> Give an example of a function $\RandomFunctionName : {\Bbb R} \longrightarrow {\Bbb R}$ which has a derivative only at the origin, and such that $\RandomFunctionName(0) = 1$.\par \hairline\par}
>
> \stoptext
> %%%% begin random-names.tex

You can access the size of your Name table with #Name but have to replace # with \letterhash when you use it in a TeX command because # is already taken for the TeX arguments.

\starttext

\startluacode
	Name = {'F', 'G', 'u', 'v', 'W'}
\stopluacode

\define\RandomFunctionName
  {\startlua
   local listsize    = \letterhash Name ;
   local randomvalue = math.random(1,listsize) ;
   context(Name[randomvalue])
   \stoplua}

\dorecurse{10}{Give an example of a function $\RandomFunctionName : {\Bbb R} \longrightarrow {\Bbb R}$ which has a derivative only at the origin, and such that $\RandomFunctionName(0) = 1$.\par \hairline\par}

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: A macro which gives a random name
@ 2015-04-18 19:16   ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2015-04-18 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Wolfgang,

Thanks for your attention, but the problem with your solution is that each instance of \RandomFunctionName changes the name chosen, but I need something wihich remains the same name within a given situation (say each problem) but changes from problem to problem.

For instance when using your solution with the source code

	Give an example of a function $\RandomFunctionName : {\Bbb R} \longrightarrow {\Bbb R}$ which has a
	derivative only at the origin, and such that $\RandomFunctionName(0) = 1$.
gives:
	Give an example of a function 𝐺 : R ⟶ R which has a derivative only at the origin, and such that 𝑊(0) = 1.

while what I need is
	Give an example of a function 𝐺 : R ⟶ R which has a derivative only at the origin, and such that G(0) = 1.

(The macro I sent earlier does this, but unfortunately it cannot use the solution you sent).
Is there a solution ?

Best regards: OK

@ 2015-04-18 20:24   ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2015-04-18 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi again Wolfgang,

Thanks to your hint, I could solve the problem…
In case someone else would encounter a similar problem to solve, below is a macro which chooses an element from a list, it creates a control sequence (CS) containing that element and it keeps the CS until the next time the macro is invoked again to choose another element.

Thanks again and best regards: OK

%%%% begin choose-element.tex
\setuprandomize[1989] % set a seed

\starttext

% here is a list from which a name is chosen
\startluacode
	ListOfNames = {'F', 'G', 'u', 'v', 'W'}
\stopluacode

% this macro has two arguments:
% the first argument is the control sequence name attached to Chosen,
% the second argument is the name of the list from which something is chosen
\define[2]\RandomChoice{%
	\setevalue{Chosen#1}{\ctxlua{%
		local listsize = \letterhash #2 ;
		local LName = #2 ;
		tex.print(LName[math.random(1,listsize)])}}}

\dorecurse{10}{\RandomChoice{Function}{ListOfNames}%
Give an example of a function $\ChosenFunction : {\Bbb R} \longrightarrow {\Bbb R}$ which has a derivative only at the origin, and such that ${\ChosenFunction}'(0) = 1$.\par \hairline\par}

\stoptext
%%%% end choose-element.tex

@ 2015-04-18 20:36     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2015-04-18 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 4/18/2015 10:24 PM, Otared Kavian wrote:
> Hi again Wolfgang,
>
> Thanks to your hint, I could solve the problem…
> In case someone else would encounter a similar problem to solve, below is a macro which chooses an element from a list, it creates a control sequence (CS) containing that element and it keeps the CS until the next time the macro is invoked again to choose another element.
>
> Thanks again and best regards: OK
>
> %%%% begin choose-element.tex
> \setuprandomize[1989] % set a seed
>
> \starttext
>
> % here is a list from which a name is chosen
> \startluacode
> 	ListOfNames = {'F', 'G', 'u', 'v', 'W'}
> \stopluacode
>
> % this macro has two arguments:
> % the first argument is the control sequence name attached to Chosen,
> % the second argument is the name of the list from which something is chosen
> \define[2]\RandomChoice{%
> 	\setevalue{Chosen#1}{\ctxlua{%
> 		local listsize = \letterhash #2 ;
> 		local LName = #2 ;
> 		tex.print(LName[math.random(1,listsize)])}}}
>
> \dorecurse{10}{\RandomChoice{Function}{ListOfNames}%
> Give an example of a function $\ChosenFunction : {\Bbb R} \longrightarrow {\Bbb R}$ which has a derivative only at the origin, and such that ${\ChosenFunction}'(0) = 1$.\par \hairline\par}
>
> \stoptext
> %%%% end choose-element.tex

\starttext

\startluacode
     local FunctionNames = { "G" , "W" }
     local FunctionName  = FunctionNames[1]

     function document.SetFunctionNames(list)
         FunctionNames = utilities.parsers.settings_to_array(list)
     end
     function document.GetFunctionName(new)
         if new then
             FunctionName = FunctionNames[math.random(1,#FunctionNames)]
         end
         context(FunctionName)
     end
\stopluacode

\def\SetFunctionNames[#1]{\ctxlua{document.SetFunctionNames("#1")}}
\def\NewFunctionName     {\ctxlua{document.GetFunctionName(true)}}
\def\GetFunctionName     {\ctxlua{document.GetFunctionName()}}

\SetFunctionNames[a,b,c,d]

\dorecurse{10}{
     Give an example of a function
         $\NewFunctionName : {\Bbb R} \longrightarrow {\Bbb R}$
     which has a derivative only at the origin, and such that
         $\GetFunctionName(0) = 1$.
     \par \hairline\par
}

\stoptext

>> On 18 Apr 2015, at 19:23, Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Am 18.04.2015 um 18:55 schrieb Otared Kavian <otared@gmail.com>:
>>>
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> In the example below I define a macro which chooses at random a name from a list of names. But I wonder whether this can be done in a more clever way without using a numerical macro created with math.random in Lua. The shortcoming of the macro below is that before hand I must know the nomber of elements in the list of names (for instance 5 in the example below), while it may happen that I need to create as many as random names that there are elements in the list, but sometimes I don’t know what is this number.
>>>
>>> Thanks for any insight and help.
>>> Best regards: OK
>>> %%%% begin random-names.tex
>>> \setuprandomize[2015] % set a seed
>>>
>>> \starttext
>>>
>>> \startluacode
>>> 	Name = {'F', 'G', 'u', 'v', 'W'}
>>> \stopluacode
>>>
>>> \define[3]\RandomName{%
>>> 	\setevalue{Named#1}{\ctxlua{tex.print(math.random(#2,#3))}}}
>>> \define\RandomFunctionName{\ctxlua{tex.print(Name[\NamedFunctionNumber])}}
>>>
>>> \dorecurse{10}{\RandomName{FunctionNumber}{1}{5}%
>>> Give an example of a function $\RandomFunctionName : {\Bbb R} \longrightarrow {\Bbb R}$ which has a derivative only at the origin, and such that $\RandomFunctionName(0) = 1$.\par \hairline\par}
>>>
>>> \stoptext
>>> %%%% begin random-names.tex
>>
>> You can access the size of your Name table with #Name but have to replace # with \letterhash when you use it in a TeX command because # is already taken for the TeX arguments.
>>
>> \starttext
>>
>> \startluacode
>> 	Name = {'F', 'G', 'u', 'v', 'W'}
>> \stopluacode
>>
>> \define\RandomFunctionName
>>   {\startlua
>>    local listsize    = \letterhash Name ;
>>    local randomvalue = math.random(1,listsize) ;
>>    context(Name[randomvalue])
>>    \stoplua}
>>
>> \dorecurse{10}{Give an example of a function $\RandomFunctionName : {\Bbb R} \longrightarrow {\Bbb R}$ which has a derivative only at the origin, and such that $\RandomFunctionName(0) = 1$.\par \hairline\par}
>>
>> \stoptext
>>
>> Wolfgang

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2015-04-19  7:51       ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2015-04-19  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans,

Many thanks for your wonderful code…
I modified a little bit the names you use in your code so that it may be used for other purposes as well (for instance if one wishes to select at random a certain number of exercises from different subsets among a huge a dataset of problems).
Again, for other people's possible needs, I put the modified code below (I don’t know in what category one might put your solution on the Wiki).

If I may ask three questions in order to understand better your code, I would like to know

1) Why is it necessary to have this line (please see below)
	local ListOfNames = { "G" , "W » }
in the luacode. Is it only a sort of intitialisation?

2) You use a built-in function
	utilities.parsers.settings_to_array(list)
is it a ConTeXt function defined somewhere in the core, or a Lua function?

3) Assuming one has a list of names in a file names (say in a comma separated format) in a file
	named my-list.tex
how is it possible to use it in \SetListOfFunctionNames? Using
	\SetListOfFunctionNames[\input named my-list.tex]
results in an error since \directlua does not accept \input.

Best regards: OK
%%%% begin choose-random-names.tex by Hans
\startluacode
   local ListOfNames = { "G" , "W" }
   local ChosenName  = ListOfNames[1]

   function document.SetListOfNames(list)
       ListOfNames = utilities.parsers.settings_to_array(list)
   end
   function document.GetChosenName(new)
       if new then
           ChosenName = ListOfNames[math.random(1,#ListOfNames)]
       end
       context(ChosenName)
   end
\stopluacode

\def\SetListOfFunctionNames[#1]{\ctxlua{document.SetListOfNames("#1")}}
\def\NewFunctionName     {\ctxlua{document.GetChosenName(true)}}
\def\FunctionName     {\ctxlua{document.GetChosenName()}}

\SetListOfFunctionNames[a,b,c,d]

\dorecurse{10}{
   Give an example of a function
       $\NewFunctionName : {\Bbb R} \longrightarrow {\Bbb R}$
   which has a derivative only at the origin, and such that
       $\FunctionName(0) = 1$.
   \par \hairline\par
}

\stoptext
%%%% end choose-random-names.tex by Hans

@ 2015-04-19  9:55         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2015-04-19  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 4/19/2015 9:51 AM, Otared Kavian wrote:
> Hi Hans,
>
> Many thanks for your wonderful code…
> I modified a little bit the names you use in your code so that it may be used for other purposes as well (for instance if one wishes to select at random a certain number of exercises from different subsets among a huge a dataset of problems).
> Again, for other people's possible needs, I put the modified code below (I don’t know in what category one might put your solution on the Wiki).
>
> If I may ask three questions in order to understand better your code, I would like to know
>
> 1) Why is it necessary to have this line (please see below)
> 	local ListOfNames = { "G" , "W » }
> in the luacode. Is it only a sort of intitialisation?

i just wanted a starting point (after all you put them in there) but you
can start out

local ListOfNames = { "unset" }

> 2) You use a built-in function
> 	utilities.parsers.settings_to_array(list)
> is it a ConTeXt function defined somewhere in the core, or a Lua function?

no, one of the context ones (see cld manual for more) ... lots of such
helpers

> 3) Assuming one has a list of names in a file names (say in a comma separated format) in a file
> 	named my-list.tex
> how is it possible to use it in \SetListOfFunctionNames? Using
> 	\SetListOfFunctionNames[\input named my-list.tex]
> results in an error since \directlua does not accept \input.

something

string.strip(io.loaddata(resolvers.findfile("foo.txt")))

or

\cldloadfile{foo.txt}

> [...]
>>         end
>>         context(FunctionName)
>>     end
>> \stopluacode
>>
>> \def\SetFunctionNames[#1]{\ctxlua{document.SetFunctionNames("#1")}}
>> \def\NewFunctionName     {\ctxlua{document.GetFunctionName(true)}}
>> \def\GetFunctionName     {\ctxlua{document.GetFunctionName()}}
>>
>> \SetFunctionNames[a,b,c,d]
>>
>> \dorecurse{10}{
>>     Give an example of a function
>>         $\NewFunctionName : {\Bbb R} \longrightarrow {\Bbb R}$
>>     which has a derivative only at the origin, and such that
>>         $\GetFunctionName(0) = 1$.
>>     \par \hairline\par
>> }
>>

>> \stoptext

>> --

>>                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
>>               Ridderstraat 27 | 8061 GH Hasselt | The Netherlands

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE