* Windows console message from utf-8 source
@ 2015-04-27 16:29 Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2015-04-27 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear list,

I have the following minimal example:

    \starttext
    \message{En español usamos acentuación}
    \stoptext

Saved as utf-8, Linux displays the message fine. (I guess MacOS X would
do the same.)

The problem is the standard console in Windows. It requires IBM codepage
850 exclusively. (Or at least, I don’t know how to display utf-8 strings.)

Is there any way to display the content of the \message above as cp850
from a utf-8 source?

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: Windows console message from utf-8 source
@ 2015-04-27 17:48 ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2015-04-27 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
luigi

* Re: Windows console message from utf-8 source
@ 2015-04-27 18:08   ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2015-04-27 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 04/27/2015 07:48 PM, luigi scarso wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 6:29 PM, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
> [...]
> Is there any way to display the content of the \message above as cp850
> from a utf-8 source?
>
> What happen when you use Lucida Console as font ?

Many thanks for your help, Luigi.

As far as I remember, I use Lucida Console as font?

(I will have to check it tomorrow.)

Pablo
--

@ 2015-04-27 18:09 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2015-04-27 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 4/27/2015 6:29 PM, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I have the following minimal example:
>
>      \starttext
>      \message{En español usamos acentuación}
>      \stoptext
>
> Saved as utf-8, Linux displays the message fine. (I guess MacOS X would
> do the same.)
>
> The problem is the standard console in Windows. It requires IBM codepage
> 850 exclusively. (Or at least, I don’t know how to display utf-8 strings.)
>
> Is there any way to display the content of the \message above as cp850
> from a utf-8 source?

choose a font that has the glyphs and run

chcp 65001

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2015-04-27 18:18   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2015-04-27 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 4/27/2015 7:48 PM, luigi scarso wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 6:29 PM, Pablo Rodriguez <oinos@gmx.es
> <mailto:oinos@gmx.es>> wrote:
>
>     Dear list,
>
>     I have the following minimal example:
>
>          \starttext
>          \message{En español usamos acentuación}
>          \stoptext
>
>     Saved as utf-8, Linux displays the message fine. (I guess MacOS X would
>     do the same.)
>
>     The problem is the standard console in Windows. It requires IBM codepage
>     850 exclusively. (Or at least, I don’t know how to display utf-8
>     strings.)
>
>     Is there any way to display the content of the \message above as cp850
>     from a utf-8 source?
>
>     Many thanks for your help,
>
> What happen when you use Lucida Console as font ?

https://code.google.com/p/conemu-maximus5/wiki/CheckUnicode

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2015-04-27 18:25   ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2015-04-27 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 04/27/2015 08:09 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> [...]
>> Is there any way to display the content of the \message above as cp850
>> from a utf-8 source?
>
> choose a font that has the glyphs and run
>
> chcp 65001

Many thanks for your reply, Hans.

I thought chcp didn’t allow utf-8, because Microsoft doesn’t mention it
(https://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/chcp.mspx).

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--

@ 2015-04-28 17:23   ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2015-04-28 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 04/27/2015 08:09 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> [...]
>> Is there any way to display the content of the \message above as cp850
>> from a utf-8 source?
>
> choose a font that has the glyphs and run
>
> chcp 65001

Hans,

following your instructions, I experience a weird issue (Win7 64bit).

Here is the minimal sample:

    \starttext
    \writestatus{Español}{con acentuación}
    \message{En español usamos acentuación}
    \stoptext

Text from \writestatus is displayed right as utf-8. But text from
\message isn’t displayed right.

Is this a bug or am I missing something?

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk