* simplefonts vs typescripts
@ 2015-05-04 16:26 david.boerschlein
From: david.boerschlein @ 2015-05-04 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

I have been trying for weeks to set up the Google Noto fonts for ConTeXt.   I have tried (but do not understand all the syntax and parameters of) typescripts and simplefonts.

It seems that I probably should gravitate towards typescripts because the typescripts seem to be what comes with the distribution of other fonts.

Is there detailed documentation describing all the parameters in detail and giving examples?   All I found is some vague examples without any explanations in the contextgarden.net wiki.

Is there a tool that I can use to look at the .ttf or .otf file and discern the values I need to put into the typescripts?   Is there a tool to generate typescripts from the .ttf and/or .otf files or would one be easy for me to write in say Korn, Perl, or Python?

Please advise!

Thanks.

David Boerschlein
(214) 412-3275 home office land
(585) 278-4687 cell
www.linkedin.com/in/davidboerschlein

* Re: simplefonts vs typescripts
@ 2015-05-04 16:47 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2015-05-04 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 5/4/2015 6:26 PM, david.boerschlein@juno.com wrote:
> I have been trying for weeks to set up the Google Noto fonts for ConTeXt.   I have tried (but do not understand all the syntax and parameters of) typescripts and simplefonts.
>
> It seems that I probably should gravitate towards typescripts because the typescripts seem to be what comes with the distribution of other fonts.
>
> Is there detailed documentation describing all the parameters in detail and giving examples?   All I found is some vague examples without any explanations in the contextgarden.net wiki.
>
> Is there a tool that I can use to look at the .ttf or .otf file and discern the values I need to put into the typescripts?   Is there a tool to generate typescripts from the .ttf and/or .otf files or would one be easy for me to write in say Korn, Perl, or Python?
>
> Please advise!

- if you know the names of the fonts simplefonts is the way for a fast setup

- otherwise you can look at e.g. type-imp-mscore and make a typescript
(in mkiv normally only a few lines so having that scripted is (1)
overkill and (2) duplicates simplefonts)

typescripts used with filenames are a robust way to be future proof as
fonts can change (for the same reason even system fonts can be be copied
to tex/texmf-fonts/fonts/data)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2015-05-21 21:19   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2015-05-21 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 21.05.2015 um 22:14 schrieb Pablo Rodriguez <oinos@gmx.es>:
>
> On 05/21/2015 09:40 PM, david.boerschlein@juno.com wrote:
>>
>> I have the following:
>>
>> \setupbodyfontenvironment[default][em=italic,x=9.0pt,xx=8.0pt,a=12.0pt,b=14.0pt,c=16.0pt,d=18.0pt,e=24.0pt,small=8.0pt]
>
> Hi David,
>
> the numeric values for the options are scaling factors.
>
> These are relative sizes to the value set in \setupbodyfont (or 12pt by
> default, when none is set).
>
> So dimension units doesn’t make any sense in these options.
>
> Your command should read:
>
>    \setupbodyfontenvironment
>        [default]
>        [em=italic,
>         x=0.9,
>         xx=0.8,
>         b=1.4,
>         c=1.6,
>         d=1.8,
>         e=2.4,
>         small=0.8]
>
> Removed "a" size, since its value isn’t different from the default.

When you change the values for a certain font size you can use dimensions.

\setupbodyfontenvironment
  [10pt]
  [x=8.0pt,
   a=20.0pt]

\setupbodyfont[10pt]

\starttext
text {\tfa text} {\tfx text}
\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: simplefonts vs typescripts
@ 2015-05-21 20:14 ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2015-05-21 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 05/21/2015 09:40 PM, david.boerschlein@juno.com wrote:

> I have the following:
>
> \setupbodyfontenvironment[default][em=italic,x=9.0pt,xx=8.0pt,a=12.0pt,b=14.0pt,c=16.0pt,d=18.0pt,e=24.0pt,small=8.0pt]

Hi David,

the numeric values for the options are scaling factors.

These are relative sizes to the value set in \setupbodyfont (or 12pt by
default, when none is set).

So dimension units doesn’t make any sense in these options.

Your command should read:

    \setupbodyfontenvironment
        [default]
        [em=italic,
         x=0.9,
         xx=0.8,
         b=1.4,
         c=1.6,
         d=1.8,
         e=2.4,
         small=0.8]

Removed "a" size, since its value isn’t different from the default.

I hope iit helps,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: simplefonts vs typescripts
@ 2015-05-21 19:40 david.boerschlein
From: david.boerschlein @ 2015-05-21 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

I have the following:

\setupbodyfontenvironment[default][em=italic,x=9.0pt,xx=8.0pt,a=12.0pt,b=14.0pt,c=16.0pt,d=18.0pt,e=24.0pt,small=8.0pt]

Per: http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Font_Switching

However ConTeXt has a syntax error.

! Missing \endcsname inserted
! You can't use `\dimexpr' in restricted horizontal mode

If I change the above to just:
\setupbodyfontenvironment[default][em=italic]

then the .tex compiles and runs and generates PDF output, albeit with the wrong point sizes.

@ 2015-05-13 16:56 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2015-05-13 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 5/13/2015 6:09 PM, david.boerschlein@juno.com wrote:
> I am still not able to set up the Noto fonts due mostly to sketchy/lack-of documentation on setting up ConTeXt fonts.
>
> I understand I need to set up typescripts but do not understand the syntax and/or semantics of the different commands and how to map the font names/paths (otf and ttf files) to reference them in the typescripts.   I would like to create a utility that will create the typescript file for MKIV from the otf/ttf files themselves.
>
> Please provide me with any help/documentation.

In addition to wolfgangs mail: there is not much science involved in
typescripts, just take another type-imp-*.mkiv file as example ...

type-imp-noto.mkiv :

\starttypescriptcollection[noto]

     \starttypescript [serif] [noto] [name]
         \setups[font:fallback:serif]
         \definefontsynonym
            [Serif]
            [file:notowhatever.ttf]
            [features=default]
         \definefontsynonym [SerifBold]
            [file:notowhateverbold.ttf]
            [features=default]
         \definefontsynonym
            [SerifItalic]
            [file:notowhateveritalic.ttf]
            [features=default]
         \definefontsynonym
           [SerifBoldItalic]
           [file:notowhateverbolditalic.ttf]
           [features=default]
     \stoptypescript

     \starttypescript[noto]
         \definetypeface [noto] [rm] [serif] [noto]   [default]
         \definetypeface [noto] [ss] [sans]  [dejavu] [default]
         \definetypeface [noto] [tt] [mono]  [dejavu] [default]
         \definetypeface [noto] [mm] [math]  [times]  [default]
     \stoptypescript

\stoptypescriptcollection

\setupbodyfont[noto]

You need to figure out the right filenames yourself (not that hard as
you downloaded them I assume). But simplefonts is less lines of code and
you only need such a typescript if you want to have long term guarantees
(as it depends less on heuristics)

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2015-05-13 16:47 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2015-05-13 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 13.05.2015 um 18:09 schrieb david.boerschlein@juno.com:
>
> I am still not able to set up the Noto fonts due mostly to sketchy/lack-of documentation on setting up ConTeXt fonts.
>
> I understand I need to set up typescripts but do not understand the syntax and/or semantics of the different commands and how to map the font names/paths (otf and ttf files) to reference them in the typescripts.   I would like to create a utility that will create the typescript file for MKIV from the otf/ttf files themselves.

You don’t have to write a typescript to use the fonts when you use the \definefontfamily command.

When you use Windows or Mac OS on your Computer you can put the files in the normal font folder
and update the font database with “mtxrun —script font —reload”. After wards the following font
setuos in your document is enough to use Noto Serif and Sans. When you use Linux you can
either put the font files in your local TeX directory or set the OSFONTDIR variable before
you update the font database.

\definefontfamily [noto] [rm] [Noto Serif]
\definefontfamily [noto] [ss] [Noto Sans]
\definefontfamily [noto] [mm] [TeX Gyre Pagella Math]

\setupbodyfont[noto]

\starttext

\rm Noto Serif {\it Italic} and {\bf Bold}

\ss Noto Sans {\it Italic} and {\bf Bold}

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: simplefonts vs typescripts
@ 2015-05-13 16:09 david.boerschlein