* Sourcemirror at gitorious is closing down, where to find it then?
@ 2015-03-10 15:56 Norbert Melzer
From: Norbert Melzer @ 2015-03-10 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Since gitorious got acquired by gitlab it will shut down its service end of
May 2015 (https://about.gitlab.com/2015/03/03/gitlab-acquires-gitorious/).

Where will ConTeXts source mirror be hosted then?

Will it get transfered over to gitlab? Github? Bitbucket? Sourceforge?
Somewhere else?

* Re: Sourcemirror at gitorious is closing down, where to find it then?
@ 2015-03-10 16:39 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2015-03-10 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 4:56 PM, Norbert Melzer wrote:
> Since gitorious got acquired by gitlab it will shut down its service end of
> May 2015 (https://about.gitlab.com/2015/03/03/gitlab-acquires-gitorious/).
>
> Where will ConTeXts source mirror be hosted then?
>
> Will it get transfered over to gitlab? Github? Bitbucket? Sourceforge?
> Somewhere else?

First: we need a reliable repository

We have a collection of ConTeXt releases that I need to convert into a
git repository (there was a discontinuity back in October that I need
to fix, so that we'll have a complete history).

If someone is willing to spend a few hours fixing/completing the
script that will turn the zips into git commits, let me know and I'll
send you my half-finished work.

Second: there are a bunch of (outdated) mirrors that will be brought
up to date again once the first step is complete

- There is a mirror on GitHub (https://github.com/contextgarden/context)
- There is a mirror on contextgarden
(http://git.contextgarden.net/context/context)
- I conveniently locked myself out when creating a new username
(context) on GitLab by making a typo when entering the email address
and I'm not sure where and how to ask for help. Maybe the request for
username expires after a while if nobody confirms it? Or I could
hypothetically create that "email with a typo" and resend the
confirmation email, then disable the email account again. If someone
can point me out the place where I could ask for unlocking the
"context" account, I would be grateful. I might just as well try luck
on the generic email address.
- I'm not a particular fan of sourceforge. I see no reason to host a
mirror there. Their user interface is simply horrible. They got a bit
better over time, but ...
- BitBucket used to be hg-only. I see no reason not to have a mirror
there as well (but I don't see any particular need for yet another
mirror either). If there are enough people who think that having yet
another mirror on BitBucket as well would be useful for whatever
reason, let me know.

(I don't know how GitLab works now and whether they fixed that
annoying bug, but we had some serious issues with the Unicorn server
behind it. Cloning the repository was often stuck/broken for no good
reason, just because the server thought that cloning was supposed to
be done in under 30 seconds, else it broke the connection as "stale".
Maybe they'll have to fix it now if all those giant projects like Qt
switch to their service.)

Mojca

* Re: Sourcemirror at gitorious is closing down, where to find it then?
@ 2015-03-10 16:55   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2015-03-10 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 3/10/2015 5:39 PM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 4:56 PM, Norbert Melzer wrote:
>> Since gitorious got acquired by gitlab it will shut down its service end of
>> May 2015 (https://about.gitlab.com/2015/03/03/gitlab-acquires-gitorious/).
>>
>> Where will ConTeXts source mirror be hosted then?
>>
>> Will it get transfered over to gitlab? Github? Bitbucket? Sourceforge?
>> Somewhere else?
>
> First: we need a reliable repository

yours isn't less reliable that gitorious as yours stays around -)

> We have a collection of ConTeXt releases that I need to convert into a
> git repository (there was a discontinuity back in October that I need
> to fix, so that we'll have a complete history).

that would be nice indeed

> If someone is willing to spend a few hours fixing/completing the
> script that will turn the zips into git commits, let me know and I'll
> send you my half-finished work.

i suppose i could commit but maintaining a git repos with all these
dependencies is no fun for me

> Second: there are a bunch of (outdated) mirrors that will be brought
> up to date again once the first step is complete
>
> - There is a mirror on GitHub (https://github.com/contextgarden/context)
> - There is a mirror on contextgarden
> (http://git.contextgarden.net/context/context)

> - I conveniently locked myself out when creating a new username
> (context) on GitLab by making a typo when entering the email address
> and I'm not sure where and how to ask for help. Maybe the request for
> username expires after a while if nobody confirms it? Or I could
> hypothetically create that "email with a typo" and resend the
> confirmation email, then disable the email account again. If someone
> can point me out the place where I could ask for unlocking the
> "context" account, I would be grateful. I might just as well try luck
> on the generic email address.
> - I'm not a particular fan of sourceforge. I see no reason to host a
> mirror there. Their user interface is simply horrible. They got a bit
> better over time, but ...

no need as we have the supelec for luatex and so ...

> - BitBucket used to be hg-only. I see no reason not to have a mirror
> there as well (but I don't see any particular need for yet another
> mirror either). If there are enough people who think that having yet
> another mirror on BitBucket as well would be useful for whatever
> reason, let me know.

indeed, a volunteer using that could also keep it up to date

> (I don't know how GitLab works now and whether they fixed that
> annoying bug, but we had some serious issues with the Unicorn server
> behind it. Cloning the repository was often stuck/broken for no good
> reason, just because the server thought that cloning was supposed to
> be done in under 30 seconds, else it broke the connection as "stale".
> Maybe they'll have to fix it now if all those giant projects like Qt
> switch to their service.)

till they sell themselves too -)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2015-03-10 16:57 ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2015-03-10 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 03/10/2015 04:56 PM, Norbert Melzer wrote:
> Since gitorious got acquired by gitlab it will shut down its service end
> of May 2015
> (https://about.gitlab.com/2015/03/03/gitlab-acquires-gitorious/).
>
> Where will ConTeXts source mirror be hosted then?
>
> Will it get transfered over to gitlab? Github? Bitbucket? Sourceforge?
> Somewhere else?

Hi Norbert,

GitHub has a ConTeXt repo: https://github.com/contextgarden/context/.

And there is another repo at http://git.contextgarden.net/groups/context.

The only issue is that their last commit is five months old.

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* git mirror [was: Re: Sourcemirror at gitorious is closing down, where to find it then?]
@ 2015-06-09 22:07     ` Philipp Gesang
From: Philipp Gesang @ 2015-06-09 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hey guys,

sorry for the late reply, this kind of got buried in my inbox so
only now I noticed the thread on the ML archives. Nevertheless:

···<date: 2015-03-10, Tuesday>···<from: Hans Hagen>···

> On 3/10/2015 5:39 PM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 4:56 PM, Norbert Melzer wrote:
> > - BitBucket used to be hg-only. I see no reason not to have a mirror
> > there as well (but I don't see any particular need for yet another
> > mirror either). If there are enough people who think that having yet
> > another mirror on BitBucket as well would be useful for whatever
> > reason, let me know.
>
> indeed, a volunteer using that could also keep it up to date

My Git mirror on Bitbucket still keeps the repo in sync:

      https://bitbucket.org/phg/context-mirror/

Originally based on the Gitorious repo, it has been tracking
Context development for a year or so by now. As a feature over
Marius’s approach it keeps the beta and current in separate
branches and will also pull from the Garden just in case:

      https://bitbucket.org/phg/context-mirror/branches

I’ve been relying on the mirror as my primary source for change
notifications and diffs of the Context source for some time now.

For those interested in setting up a mirror themselves I can
provide the source of the bot. There’s some docs but I took some
shortcuts like hard-coding paths and SSH stuff so it might take
a little effort to get it up to full speed. OTOH doesn’t appear
to be unreliable and should continue working as long as the
Pragma website can be scraped in the same fashion ;)

Best,
Philipp

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 819 bytes --]

* Re: git mirror [was: Re: Sourcemirror at gitorious is closing down, where to find it then?]
@ 2015-06-10  9:07       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2015-06-10  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 6/10/2015 12:07 AM, Philipp Gesang wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> sorry for the late reply, this kind of got buried in my inbox so
> only now I noticed the thread on the ML archives. Nevertheless:
>
> ···<date: 2015-03-10, Tuesday>···<from: Hans Hagen>···
>
>> On 3/10/2015 5:39 PM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>>> On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 4:56 PM, Norbert Melzer wrote:
>>> - BitBucket used to be hg-only. I see no reason not to have a mirror
>>> there as well (but I don't see any particular need for yet another
>>> mirror either). If there are enough people who think that having yet
>>> another mirror on BitBucket as well would be useful for whatever
>>> reason, let me know.
>>
>> indeed, a volunteer using that could also keep it up to date
>
> My Git mirror on Bitbucket still keeps the repo in sync:
>
>        https://bitbucket.org/phg/context-mirror/
>
> Originally based on the Gitorious repo, it has been tracking
> Context development for a year or so by now. As a feature over
> Marius’s approach it keeps the beta and current in separate
> branches and will also pull from the Garden just in case:
>
>        https://bitbucket.org/phg/context-mirror/branches
>
> I’ve been relying on the mirror as my primary source for change
> notifications and diffs of the Context source for some time now.

thanks. i could pull it the github windows client (the web interfaces
cannot handle the large diffs)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE