From: Zhichu Chen <chenzhichu@sinap.ac.cn>
Subject: Re: Virtual font question
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2015 13:20:54 +0800	[thread overview]

Hi Aditya,

On 06/23/2015 11:57 AM, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> I don't have the fonts, so I cannot describe the exact method. But see
> below and also have a look at Section 5 of
> https://www.tug.org/TUGboat/tb30-2/tb95mahajan-cmath.pdf The
> description is old, and some of the file locations have changes, but
> the basic infrastructure is still the same.
Thank you for sharing this article. It seems that the
return {
     mathematics = {
         mapfiles = {
             "mtpro2.map",
         },
         virtuals = {
             ["mtpro06a-regular"] = {
codes may have done the job in the mathematics.make_font function.

In this snippet:
\definefontsynonym
   [LMMathRoman10-Regular]
   [LMMath10-Regular@lmroman10-math]
I know that LMMathRoman10-Regular will be used as the font synonym,
@lmroman10-math is the
virtual font, but what does LMMath10-Regular stand for? I chose some
random names in my typescript
but maybe there's some magic there?
> The vectors mptpro2-mi etc are not defined. Look at math-ttv.lua for a
> list of predefined vectors (mapping type1 fonts to unicode symbols. It
> is quite likely that the mtpro fonts would follow the "standard"
> mappings; if not, you will need to create an approrpriate mapping for
> each font. This is not difficult (just monotonous).
I've already defined these vectors in the same .lfg file. What a tedious
work it was, by the way. I thought
that would be irrelevant, so I skipped those codes. I'm sorry I didn't
make that clear.

I almost forgot to mention. The font has its own \Relbar and \relbar
characters rather than the equality
and the dash marks. What is the best way to use them? I currently put
them in a private-use-area slot
in the vectors' definitions, but I'm not sure that's a good solution.

>> I guess the suffixes "f" "s" and "t" may correspond to "five" "seven"
>> and "ten", but that's
>> not important. I could use one of them as the virtual font in the
>> typescript:
>
> Once this is done, rest of the typescript should work. It may be a
> good idea to try to see if you can get roman letters from mtpro.
If I claimed the font synonym with the virtual font directly:
# typescripts
\definefontsynonym [\s!MathRoman] [MTPro10a-Regular@mtpro10a-regular]
the 10-size-version fonts were loaded without any problem. But if I want
to use the designsize feature:
-- lfg
     designsizes = {
         ["MathTimeProA-Regular"] = {
             ["4pt"]  = "MTPro06a-Regular@mtpro06a-regular",
             ["5pt"]  = "MTPro06a-Regular@mtpro06a-regular",
             ["6pt"]  = "MTPro06a-Regular@mtpro06a-regular",
# typescripts
\definefontsynonym [\s!MathRoman] [\v!file:mathtimeproa-regular]
the mathtimeproa-regular font could not be remapped to the correct
virtual font with the appropriate size.
I just want to know how type-imp-ebgaramond.mkiv managed to remap the
designsize filename
"file:ebgaramond-regular" to "file:EBGaramond12-Regular".