* new beta
@ 2015-07-09 13:39 Hans Hagen
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Hans Hagen @ 2015-07-09 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

I uploaded a new beta. As a prelude to some updates / improvements in
the font handling an experimental new otf fontloader/handler is present.
This one is not used by default but will likely replace the current one
(only when it has been tested enough). At that time also some other
pending changes will happen (no functional differences, only improvements).

There are a few advantages to the new approach:

- Indentifying fonts goes a bit faster (some 20 times) but that is
already in the core.
- The mem footprint of initial loading a font is smaller.
- Initial loading can a bit slower depending on the kind of font (no big
deal as we cache files) and if really needed can be sped up a bit.
- The cached instance is smaller.
- Some bits and pieces have been optimized (there is room for more but
I might decide not to do that).
- Extra substitution features like tlig and trep are now runtime and not
cached.
- Processing in node mode can be somewhat faster for complex fonts.
- The generic font code will stay as it is for at least a while after
the new code has become stable and the current method will stay around too.

Of course there will be bugs although the test suite runs without
crashing. I will use the new code on my machine but you can test it with:

\usemodule[newotf]

before \starttext (or in cont-loc.mkiv).

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: new beta
@ 2015-07-10 15:05 ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2015-07-10 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 07/09/2015 03:39 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
> Of course there will be bugs although the test suite runs without
> crashing. I will use the new code on my machine but you can test it with:
>
> \usemodule[newotf]
>
> before \starttext (or in cont-loc.mkiv).

Hi Hans,

did the new font mechanism really make it into the beta you uploaded? I get

resolvers       > modules > 'newotf' is not found

with

version: 2015.07.10 00:05

Thomas

* Re: new beta
@ 2015-07-10 17:13   ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2015-07-10 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On 07/09/2015 03:39 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> Of course there will be bugs although the test suite runs without
>> crashing. I will use the new code on my machine but you can test it with:
>>
>> \usemodule[newotf]
>>
>> before \starttext (or in cont-loc.mkiv).
>
> Hi Hans,
>
> did the new font mechanism really make it into the beta you uploaded? I get
>
> resolvers       > modules > 'newotf' is not found
>
> with
>
> version: 2015.07.10 00:05

Hi Hans and Thomas

the module seems to be missing also in beta from 2015.07.09 15:23.

In beta from 2015.07.10 00:05 cont-loc.mkiv seems to be gone.

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: new beta
@ 2015-07-10 19:53 ` Dominik Gerstorfer
From: Dominik Gerstorfer @ 2015-07-10 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 2937 bytes --]

Hi Hans,

the new beta, 2015.07.10 00:05, messes up punctuation (.:,;) for some fonts
like Calluna. This happens with and without \usemodule[newotf]:

\definefontfamily  [default] [rm] [Calluna]\setupbodyfont     [default]
\starttext
This is not, as it should be; Email: email@example.net\stoptext

​

renders as:

This is not’ as it should be’ Email’ email@example’net

[image: Inline-Bild 1]

 ​
Dominik

> Hi,
>
> I uploaded a new beta. As a prelude to some updates / improvements in the
> font handling an experimental new otf fontloader/handler is present. This
> one is not used by default but will likely replace the current one (only
> when it has been tested enough). At that time also some other pending
> changes will happen (no functional differences, only improvements).
>
> There are a few advantages to the new approach:
>
> - Indentifying fonts goes a bit faster (some 20 times) but that is already
> in the core.
> - The mem footprint of initial loading a font is smaller.
> - Initial loading can a bit slower depending on the kind of font (no big
> deal as we cache files) and if really needed can be sped up a bit.
> - The cached instance is smaller.
> - Some bits and pieces have been optimized (there is room for more but
> I might decide not to do that).
> - Extra substitution features like tlig and trep are now runtime and not
> cached.
> - Processing in node mode can be somewhat faster for complex fonts.
> - The generic font code will stay as it is for at least a while after the
> new code has become stable and the current method will stay around too.
>
> Of course there will be bugs although the test suite runs without
> crashing. I will use the new code on my machine but you can test it with:
>
> \usemodule[newotf]
>
> before \starttext (or in cont-loc.mkiv).
>
> Hans

>     tel: 038 477 53 69 | voip: 087 875 68 74 | www.pragma-ade.com

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: Type: text/html, Size: 6803 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #1.2: screenshot.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 14682 bytes --]

* Re: new beta
@ 2015-07-10 23:29     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2015-07-10 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 7/10/2015 7:13 PM, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
> On 07/10/2015 05:05 PM, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
>> On 07/09/2015 03:39 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>>> Of course there will be bugs although the test suite runs without
>>> crashing. I will use the new code on my machine but you can test it with:
>>>
>>> \usemodule[newotf]
>>>
>>> before \starttext (or in cont-loc.mkiv).
>>
>> Hi Hans,
>>
>> did the new font mechanism really make it into the beta you uploaded? I get
>>
>> resolvers       > modules > 'newotf' is not found
>>
>> with
>>
>> version: 2015.07.10 00:05
>
> Hi Hans and Thomas
>
> the module seems to be missing also in beta from 2015.07.09 15:23.
>
> In beta from 2015.07.10 00:05 cont-loc.mkiv seems to be gone.

that one is not in the distribution ... you can create it

cont-new.mkiv : in distribution (patch file)
cont-loc.mkiv : local file (persistent, not replaced)
cont-exp.mkiv : experimental code (on my machine)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

[-- Attachment #2: m-newotf.mkiv --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 1319 bytes --]

%D \module
%D   [       file=m-newotf,
%D        version=2015.07.08,
%D          title=\CONTEXT\ Extra Modules,
%D       subtitle=Experimental OTF Loader,
%D         author=Hans Hagen,
%D           date=\currentdate,
%D      copyright={PRAGMA ADE \& \CONTEXT\ Development Team}]
%C
%C This module is part of the \CONTEXT\ macro||package and is
%C therefore copyrighted by \PRAGMA. See mreadme.pdf for
%C details.

%D This module will go away as soon as we use the new loader code by default.
%D That will happen after extensive testing. Generic support will happen after
%D that.

\unprotect

\startluacode
    local files = {
        "font-otr", "font-cff", "font-ttf", "font-dsp", "font-oup",
        "font-otl", "font-ots", "font-oto", "font-otd", "font-otc",
        "font-osd", "font-map", "font-fbk", "font-gds",
    }

    logs.report("fonts")
    if tex.modes.atpragma then
        logs.report("fonts","replacing font loader code by experimental code (at pragma)")
        logs.report("fonts")
        for i=1,#files do require(file.join("t:/sources",files[i])) end
    else
        logs.report("fonts","replacing font loader code by experimental code")
        logs.report("fonts")
        for i=1,#files do require(files[i]) end
    end
\stopluacode

\protect \endinput

* Re: new beta
@ 2015-07-10 23:33   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2015-07-10 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

> On 07/09/2015 03:39 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> Of course there will be bugs although the test suite runs without
>> crashing. I will use the new code on my machine but you can test it with:
>>
>> \usemodule[newotf]
>>
>> before \starttext (or in cont-loc.mkiv).
>
> Hi Hans,
>
> did the new font mechanism really make it into the beta you uploaded? I get
>
> resolvers       > modules > 'newotf' is not found

i had a typo in the zip maker ... that file is missing (the rest is there)

(i've send the file send in another mail to list)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: new beta
@ 2015-07-11  5:17     ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2015-07-11  5:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 07/11/2015 01:33 AM, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 7/10/2015 5:05 PM, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
>> [...]
>> resolvers       > modules > 'newotf' is not found
>
> i had a typo in the zip maker ... that file is missing (the rest is there)
>
> (i've send the file send in another mail to list)

Many thanks for the module file, Hans.

I’m afraid that newotf crashes with this sample:

    \definefallbackfamily
        [mainface]
        [rm]
        [GFS Didot]
        [preset=range:greek]

    \definefontfamily
        [mainface]
        [rm]
        [TeX Gyre Pagella]

    \setupbodyfont
        [mainface]

    \starttext
    αβγ
    \stoptext

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: new beta
@ 2015-07-11  8:53       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2015-07-11  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 7/11/2015 7:17 AM, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
> On 07/11/2015 01:33 AM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> On 7/10/2015 5:05 PM, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> resolvers       > modules > 'newotf' is not found
>>
>> i had a typo in the zip maker ... that file is missing (the rest is there)
>>
>> (i've send the file send in another mail to list)
>
> Many thanks for the module file, Hans.
>
> I’m afraid that newotf crashes with this sample:
>
>      \definefallbackfamily
>          [mainface]
>          [rm]
>          [GFS Didot]
>          [preset=range:greek]
>
>      \definefontfamily
>          [mainface]
>          [rm]
>          [TeX Gyre Pagella]
>
>      \setupbodyfont
>          [mainface]
>
>      \starttext
>      αβγ
>      \stoptext

define crashes ... i donwloaded the font, ran mtxrun --generate and
remade the font database and this works:

     [GFS Didot Classic]

There can be some subtle differences in names (i checked all 2000 fonts
on my machine) which is due to the fact that we stay a bit closer to the
originals (in the ff approach quite some juggling with names happens,
the same is true for glyph names). We now a bit closer to the otf spec
(i hope).

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: new beta
@ 2015-07-11 10:57       ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2015-07-11 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pablo Rodriguez schrieb:
> On 07/11/2015 01:33 AM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> On 7/10/2015 5:05 PM, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> resolvers>  modules>  'newotf' is not found
>> i had a typo in the zip maker ... that file is missing (the rest is there)
>>
>> (i've send the file send in another mail to list)
>
> Many thanks for the module file, Hans.
>
> I’m afraid that newotf crashes with this sample:
>
>      \definefallbackfamily
>          [mainface]
>          [rm]
>          [GFS Didot]
>          [preset=range:greek]
>
>      \definefontfamily
>          [mainface]
>          [rm]
>          [TeX Gyre Pagella]
>
>      \setupbodyfont
>          [mainface]
>
>      \starttext
>      αβγ
>      \stoptext

The font [1,2] works for me without problems.

[1] http://www.greekfontsociety.gr/pages/en_typefaces20th.html
[2] http://www.greekfontsociety.gr/pages/en_typefaces19th.html

Wolfgang

* Re: new beta
@ 2015-07-11 11:15         ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2015-07-11 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 07/11/2015 10:53 AM, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 7/11/2015 7:17 AM, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
>> [...]
>> I’m afraid that newotf crashes with this sample:
>> [...]
> define crashes ... i donwloaded the font, ran mtxrun --generate and
> remade the font database and this works:
>
>      [GFS Didot Classic]

I have this font installed too and I’m afraid it gives the same error.

The fonts I meant are these ones:
http://www.greekfontsociety.gr/GFS_DIDOT_OT.zip. (GFS Didot Classic is a
slightly different font.)

With crashing I meant no PDF generation because a not found font. The
font is there (log attached):

$ fc-list GFSDidot
/usr/share/fonts/ousia/GFSDidotBoldItalic.otf: GFS Didot:style=Bold Italic
/usr/share/fonts/ousia/GFSDidotBold.otf: GFS Didot,GFS Didot Rg:style=Bold
/usr/share/fonts/ousia/GFSDidotItalic.otf: GFS Didot:style=Italic
/usr/share/fonts/ousia/GFSDidot.otf: GFS Didot:style=Regular

And if I don’t load the newotf module, the font is loaded fine:

used file       >    7: filename=/usr/share/fonts/ousia/GFSDidot.otf
format=otf foundname=/usr/share/fonts/ousia/GFSDidot.otf usedmethod=direct

This is weird, since if I load a non-existent font (such as
Impossibila), compilation generates a PDF file. No glyph replacement, of
course,

Sorry, but not even adding either of this options works with newotf:

    tf=file:GFSDidot.otf

    tf=style:regular

What am I doing wrong?

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

[-- Attachment #2: newotf.log --]
[-- Type: text/x-log, Size: 1700 bytes --]

system          > callbacks > not registering frozen 'find_format_file'

open source     > 1 > 1 > /home/ousia/ctxbeta/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/cont-yes.mkiv

ConTeXt  ver: 2015.07.10 00:05 MKIV beta  fmt: 2015.7.11  int: english/english

system          > 'cont-new.mkiv' loaded
open source     > 2 > 2 > /home/ousia/ctxbeta/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/cont-new.mkiv
resolvers       > modules > 'newotf' is loaded
open source     > 3 > 3 > m-newotf.mkiv
fonts           >
fonts           > replacing font loader code by experimental code
fonts           >
close source    > 3 > 3 > m-newotf.mkiv
close source    > 2 > 3 > /home/ousia/ctxbeta/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/cont-new.mkiv
system          > files > jobname 'a', input './a', result 'a'
fonts           > latin modern fonts are not preloaded
languages       > language 'en' is active
open source     > 2 > 4 > /home/ousia/a.tex
fonts           > preloading modern-designsize (math)
fonts           > typescripts > unknown library 'modern-designsize'
fonts           > 'fallback modern-designsize mm 12pt' is loaded
fonts           > preloading modern-designsize (mono)
fonts           > 'fallback modern-designsize tt 12pt' is loaded
fonts           > defining > source file 'GFSDidot.otf' is not found
backend         > xmp > using file '/home/ousia/ctxbeta/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/lpdf-pdx.xml'
pages           > flushing realpage 1, userpage 1
close source    > 2 > 4 > /home/ousia/a.tex
close source    > 1 > 4 > /home/ousia/ctxbeta/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/cont-yes.mkiv

!LuaTeX error: cannot find OpenType font file for reading ()
 ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!

* Re: new beta
@ 2015-07-11 11:19         ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2015-07-11 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

> [...]
> The font [1,2] works for me without problems.
>
> [1] http://www.greekfontsociety.gr/pages/en_typefaces20th.html
> [2] http://www.greekfontsociety.gr/pages/en_typefaces19th.html

They all work fine for me until I load:

    \usemodule[newotf]

And I don’t know what is wrong here.

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: new beta
@ 2015-07-11 11:26           ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2015-07-11 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pablo Rodriguez schrieb:
> On 07/11/2015 12:57 PM, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>> [...]
>> The font [1,2] works for me without problems.
>>
>> [1] http://www.greekfontsociety.gr/pages/en_typefaces20th.html
>> [2] http://www.greekfontsociety.gr/pages/en_typefaces19th.html
>
> They all work fine for me until I load:
>
>      \usemodule[newotf]
>
> And I don’t know what is wrong here.
>
> Many thanks for your help,

Do you get the same problem when you use the font as main font?

\usemodule[newotf]

\definefontfamily[mainface][rm][GFS Didot]

\setupbodyfont[mainface]

\starttext
αβγ {\bf αβγ}
\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: new beta
@ 2015-07-11 12:02             ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2015-07-11 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

> [...]
> Do you get the same problem when you use the font as main font?
>
> \usemodule[newotf]
>
> \definefontfamily[mainface][rm][GFS Didot]
>
> \setupbodyfont[mainface]
>
> \starttext
> αβγ {\bf αβγ}
> \stoptext

Yes, I do.

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: new beta
@ 2015-07-11 12:32               ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2015-07-11 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 07/11/2015 02:02 PM, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
>> Do you get the same problem when you use the font as main font?
>> >
>> >\usemodule[newotf]
>> >
>> >\definefontfamily[mainface][rm][GFS Didot]
>> >
>> >\setupbodyfont[mainface]
>> >
>> >\starttext
>> >αβγ {\bf αβγ}
>> >\stoptext
> Yes, I do.
>

> Pablo

Both Wolfgang's file and your original test file compile cleanly here,
so it must be something on your system.

Thomas

* Re: new beta
@ 2015-07-11 12:32               ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2015-07-11 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pablo Rodriguez schrieb:
> On 07/11/2015 01:26 PM, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>> [...]
>> Do you get the same problem when you use the font as main font?
>>
>> \usemodule[newotf]
>>
>> \definefontfamily[mainface][rm][GFS Didot]
>>
>> \setupbodyfont[mainface]
>>
>> \starttext
>> αβγ {\bf αβγ}
>> \stoptext
>
> Yes, I do.

1. Does the same happen with other fonts in this folder.

2. What happens when you put the fonts in your local TeX directory (or
texmf-fonts/fonts/opentype of your context installation).

Wolfgang

* Re: new beta
@ 2015-07-11 14:27                 ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2015-07-11 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

> [...]
> 1. Does the same happen with other fonts in this folder.
>
> 2. What happens when you put the fonts in your local TeX directory (or
> texmf-fonts/fonts/opentype of your context installation).

Many thanks for your replies, Thomas and Wolfgang.

My font directory /usr/share/fonts/ousia/ is actually a symlink to
/home/ousia/Documents/ousia-fonts/.

It worked fine until newotf. I replaced the symlink. Now the font
directory points to tex/texmf-fonts.

After changing this, both the sample I provided and the one from
Wolfgang work fine.

I wonder why symlinks aren’t followed in the first case.

But I’m afraid I have a problematic font:

otf reader      > fatal error in file
'/home/ousia/ctxbeta/tex/texmf-fonts/ousia-fonts/Mechanica.otf':
.../ctxbeta/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/util-fil.lua:24: table
index is nil

I converted it from the typewritten fonts that came with txfonts.

What is wrong in the font?

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: new beta
@ 2015-07-11 15:23                   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2015-07-11 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pablo Rodriguez schrieb:
> On 07/11/2015 02:32 PM, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>> [...]
>> 1. Does the same happen with other fonts in this folder.
>>
>> 2. What happens when you put the fonts in your local TeX directory (or
>> texmf-fonts/fonts/opentype of your context installation).
>
> Many thanks for your replies, Thomas and Wolfgang.
>
> My font directory /usr/share/fonts/ousia/ is actually a symlink to
> /home/ousia/Documents/ousia-fonts/.
>
> It worked fine until newotf. I replaced the symlink. Now the font
> directory points to tex/texmf-fonts.
>
> After changing this, both the sample I provided and the one from
> Wolfgang work fine.
>
> I wonder why symlinks aren’t followed in the first case.
>
> But I’m afraid I have a problematic font:
>
> otf reader>  fatal error in file
> '/home/ousia/ctxbeta/tex/texmf-fonts/ousia-fonts/Mechanica.otf':
> .../ctxbeta/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/util-fil.lua:24: table
> index is nil
>
> I converted it from the typewritten fonts that came with txfonts.
>
> What is wrong in the font?

It works for me when I use the Postscript files from the txfonts
package, you need the following files:

- txbtt.afm
- txbtt.pfb
- txbttsc.afm % Only needed when you want bold smallcaps
- txbttsc.pfb % Only needed when you want bold smallcaps
- txtt.afm
- txtt.pfb
- txttsc.afm % Only needed when you want smallcaps
- txttsc.pfb % Only needed when you want smallcaps

To use them put the files in your local TeX directory
(e.g. texmf-fonts/fonts/data).

%%%% begin example
\definefontfamily
   [txfont]
   [tt]
   [txtt]
   [bf=file:txbtt,
    it=features:{default,slanted},
    bi=features:{default,slanted}]

\setupbodyfont[txfont]

\starttext
Test {\it Text} {\bf Text} {\bi Text}
\stoptext
%%%% end example

Wolfgang

* Re: new beta
@ 2015-07-11 16:11                     ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2015-07-11 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

> [...]
> It works for me when I use the Postscript files from the txfonts
> package, you need the following files:

Many thanks for your reply, Wolfgang.

I wanted to avoid using PostScript files, but it seems that I have to
use them.

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: new beta
@ 2015-07-11 21:26           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2015-07-11 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 7/11/2015 1:15 PM, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
> On 07/11/2015 10:53 AM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> On 7/11/2015 7:17 AM, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> I’m afraid that newotf crashes with this sample:
>>> [...]
>> define crashes ... i donwloaded the font, ran mtxrun --generate and
>> remade the font database and this works:
>>
>>       [GFS Didot Classic]
>
> I have this font installed too and I’m afraid it gives the same error.
>
> The fonts I meant are these ones:
> http://www.greekfontsociety.gr/GFS_DIDOT_OT.zip. (GFS Didot Classic is a
> slightly different font.)
>
> With crashing I meant no PDF generation because a not found font. The
> font is there (log attached):
>
> $ fc-list GFSDidot
> /usr/share/fonts/ousia/GFSDidotBoldItalic.otf: GFS Didot:style=Bold Italic
> /usr/share/fonts/ousia/GFSDidotBold.otf: GFS Didot,GFS Didot Rg:style=Bold
> /usr/share/fonts/ousia/GFSDidotItalic.otf: GFS Didot:style=Italic
> /usr/share/fonts/ousia/GFSDidot.otf: GFS Didot:style=Regular
>
> And if I don’t load the newotf module, the font is loaded fine:
>
> used file       >    7: filename=/usr/share/fonts/ousia/GFSDidot.otf
> format=otf foundname=/usr/share/fonts/ousia/GFSDidot.otf usedmethod=direct
>
> This is weird, since if I load a non-existent font (such as
> Impossibila), compilation generates a PDF file. No glyph replacement, of
> course,
>
> Sorry, but not even adding either of this options works with newotf:
>
>      tf=file:GFSDidot.otf
>
>      tf=style:regular
>
> What am I doing wrong?

That is a weird error as when no font is found and loaded nothing gets
passed to the backend so this error is weird.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: new beta
@ 2015-07-11 21:28                   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2015-07-11 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 7/11/2015 4:27 PM, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
> On 07/11/2015 02:32 PM, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>> [...]
>> 1. Does the same happen with other fonts in this folder.
>>
>> 2. What happens when you put the fonts in your local TeX directory (or
>> texmf-fonts/fonts/opentype of your context installation).
>
> Many thanks for your replies, Thomas and Wolfgang.
>
> My font directory /usr/share/fonts/ousia/ is actually a symlink to
> /home/ousia/Documents/ousia-fonts/.
>
> It worked fine until newotf. I replaced the symlink. Now the font
> directory points to tex/texmf-fonts.
>
> After changing this, both the sample I provided and the one from
> Wolfgang work fine.
>
> I wonder why symlinks aren’t followed in the first case.

maybe some difference in opening a file in lua or directlky in c ..

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: new beta - \pushbackground broken
@ 2015-07-11 22:22 ` Lukáš Procházka
From: Lukáš Procházka @ 2015-07-11 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

\pushbackground seems to be broken in the last beta - this doesn't compile (but it did till now):

----
\defineheadalternative
   [PartAlt]
   [renderingsetup=set:PartPage]

\startsetups[set:PartPage]
   \startmakeup[mu:PartPage]
     \white
       \headnumbercontent
       \blank[2*big]
       \headtextcontent
   \stopmakeup
\stopsetups

\definemakeup
   [mu:PartPage]
   [align=middle,
    top=\vfill\vfill,
    bottom=\vfill\vfill\vfill,
   ]

\definefont[PartText][SerifBold sa 5]

% Method 1: change the values of the predefined "default" conversion set,
% you can use name of the sectionblock as prefix (separated by a :) to set
% the values only for a certain part (e.g. the appendix) of your document

\defineconversionset[appendix:default][A,R][n]

% Method 2: Create your own conversion set and apply it to all sections
%
% \defineconversionset[bodypart:myconversion][n,n][n]
% \defineconversionset[appendix:myconversion][A,R][n]
% \setuphead[part,chapter,section][sectionconversionset=myconversion]

\setuphead
   [part]
   [placehead=yes,
    alternative=PartAlt,
    page=right,
    header=none,
    before={\pushbackground[page]
            \setupbackgrounds[page][background=color,backgroundcolor=black]},
    after={\page\popbackground},
    bodypartlabel=MyPart:body,
    appendixlabel=MyPart:appx,
    align=middle,
    numberstyle=\bfc,
    textstyle=PartText,
   ]

\setuplabeltext[en][MyPart:body=Díl ,MyPart:appx=Dodatek ]

\starttext
   \startbodymatter
     \part{My First Part}
       \input knuth
   \stopbodymatter
   \startappendices
     \part{My First Appendix}
       \input tufte
   \stopappendices
\stoptext
----

Lukas

--
Ing. Lukáš Procházka | mailto:LPr@pontex.cz
Pontex s. r. o.      | mailto:pontex@pontex.cz | http://www.pontex.cz

Tel: +420 241 096 751
Fax: +420 244 461 038

[-- Attachment #2: Ull-Gra.test2.pdf --]

[-- Attachment #3: Ull-Gra.test22.log --]

open source     > 1 > 1 > c:/Ctx-Beta/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/cont-yes.mkiv

ConTeXt  ver: 2014.07.30 10:31 MKIV beta  fmt: 2015.7.11  int: english/english

system          > 'cont-new.mkiv' loaded
open source     > 2 > 2 > c:/Ctx-Beta/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/cont-new.mkiv
close source    > 2 > 2 > c:/Ctx-Beta/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/cont-new.mkiv

system          > files > jobname 'Ull-Gra.test22', input 'D:/Lukas/Docs/Ull-Gra/Test/Ull-Gra.test22.mkiv', result 'Ull-Gra'
fonts           > latin modern fonts are not preloaded
languages       > language 'en' is active
open source     > 2 > 3 > D:/Lukas/Docs/Ull-Gra/Test/Ull-Gra.test22.mkiv
fonts           > preloading latin modern fonts (second stage)
fonts           > 'fallback modern-designsize rm 12pt' is loaded
structures      > begin of sectionblock 'bodypart'

tex error       > error on line 55 in file D:/Lukas/Docs/Ull-Gra/Test/Ull-Gra.test22.mkiv: ! Undefined control sequence

\118>part:before ->\pushbackground
                                   [page] \setupbackgrounds [page][backgroun...
\strc_sectioning_handle_page_yes ...ter \c!before
                                                  \relax \fi \global \c_strc...
\strc_sectioning_check_before ...ering_continue #1
                                                  \fi
\strc_sectioning_before_yes ...ng_handle_page_yes
                                                  \headparameter \c!inbetwee...
\strc_sectioning_handle ..._sectioning_before_yes
                                                  \strc_sectioning_register ...
l.55     \part{My First Part}

45        appendixlabel=MyPart:appx,
46        align=middle,
47        numberstyle=\bfc,
48        textstyle=PartText,
49       ]
50
51     \setuplabeltext[en][MyPart:body=Díl ,MyPart:appx=Dodatek ]
52
53     \starttext
54       \startbodymatter
55 >>      \part{My First Part}
56           \input knuth
57       \stopbodymatter
58       \startappendices
59         \part{My First Appendix}
60           \input tufte
61       \stopappendices
62     \stoptext
63

The control sequence at the end of the top line
of your error message was never \def'ed. If you have
misspelled it (e.g., `\hobx'), type `I' and the correct
spelling (e.g., `I\hbox'). Otherwise just continue,
and I'll forget about whatever was undefined.

structure       > sectioning > part @ level 1 : 1 -> My First Part
backend         > xmp > using file 'c:/Ctx-Beta/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/lpdf-pdx.xml'
pages           > flushing realpage 1, userpage 1

tex error       > error on line 55 in file D:/Lukas/Docs/Ull-Gra/Test/Ull-Gra.test22.mkiv: ! Undefined control sequence

<recently read> \popbackground

\strc_sectioning_after_yes ...dparameter \c!after
                                                  \fi
\strc_sectioning_handle ...c_sectioning_after_yes
                                                  \else \ifconditional \c_st...
[...]

open source     > 3 > 4 > c:/Ctx-Beta/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/sample/knuth.tex
close source    > 3 > 4 > c:/Ctx-Beta/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/sample/knuth.tex
structures      > end of sectionblock 'bodypart'
pages           > flushing realpage 2, userpage 2
structures      > begin of sectionblock 'appendix'

tex error       > error on line 59 in file D:/Lukas/Docs/Ull-Gra/Test/Ull-Gra.test22.mkiv: ! Undefined control sequence

\118>part:before ->\pushbackground
                                   [page] \setupbackgrounds [page][backgroun...
\strc_sectioning_handle_page_yes ...ter \c!before
                                                  \relax \fi \global \c_strc...
\strc_sectioning_check_before ...ering_continue #1
                                                  \fi
\strc_sectioning_before_yes ...ng_handle_page_yes
                                                  \headparameter \c!inbetwee...
\strc_sectioning_handle ..._sectioning_before_yes
                                                  \strc_sectioning_register ...
l.59     \part{My First Appendix}

49       ]
50
51     \setuplabeltext[en][MyPart:body=Díl ,MyPart:appx=Dodatek ]
52
53     \starttext
54       \startbodymatter
55         \part{My First Part}
56           \input knuth
57       \stopbodymatter
58       \startappendices
59 >>      \part{My First Appendix}
60           \input tufte
61       \stopappendices
62     \stoptext
63

The control sequence at the end of the top line
of your error message was never \def'ed. If you have
misspelled it (e.g., `\hobx'), type `I' and the correct
spelling (e.g., `I\hbox'). Otherwise just continue,
and I'll forget about whatever was undefined.

structure       > sectioning > part @ level 1 : 1 -> My First Appendix
pages           > flushing realpage 3, userpage 3

[...]

open source     > 3 > 5 > c:/Ctx-Beta/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/sample/tufte.tex
close source    > 3 > 5 > c:/Ctx-Beta/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/sample/tufte.tex
structures      > end of sectionblock 'appendix'
pages           > flushing realpage 4, userpage 4
close source    > 2 > 5 > D:/Lukas/Docs/Ull-Gra/Test/Ull-Gra.test22.mkiv
close source    > 1 > 5 > c:/Ctx-Beta/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/cont-yes.mkiv

system          > structure > start used structure

used structure  > text: Ull-Gra.test22

system          > structure > stop used structure

system          > files > start used files

used file       >    1: filename=cont-yes.mkiv filetype=tex foundname=c:/Ctx-Beta/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/cont-yes.mkiv usedmethod=database
used file       >    2: filename=cont-new.mkiv filetype=tex foundname=c:/Ctx-Beta/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/cont-new.mkiv usedmethod=database
used file       >    3: filename=lang-us.lua filetype=scripts foundname=c:/Ctx-Beta/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/patterns/lang-us.lua usedmethod=database
used file       >    4: filename=D:/Lukas/Docs/Ull-Gra/Test/Ull-Gra.test22.mkiv foundname=D:/Lukas/Docs/Ull-Gra/Test/Ull-Gra.test22.mkiv usedmethod=direct
used file       >    5: filename=lm.lfg filetype=tex foundname=c:/Ctx-Beta/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/fonts/lm.lfg usedmethod=database
used file       >    6: filename=lmroman12-regular filetype=otf format=otf foundname=c:/Ctx-Beta/tex/texmf/fonts/opentype/public/lm/lmroman12-regular.otf usedmethod=database
used file       >    7: filename=latinmodern-math.otf filetype=opentypefonts foundname=c:/Ctx-Beta/tex/texmf/fonts/opentype/public/lm-math/latinmodern-math.otf usedmethod=database
used file       >    8: filename=lmroman10-regular filetype=otf format=otf foundname=c:/Ctx-Beta/tex/texmf/fonts/opentype/public/lm/lmroman10-regular.otf usedmethod=database
used file       >    9: filename=lmroman10-bold filetype=otf format=otf foundname=c:/Ctx-Beta/tex/texmf/fonts/opentype/public/lm/lmroman10-bold.otf usedmethod=database
used file       >   10: filename=lpdf-pdx.xml filetype=tex foundname=c:/Ctx-Beta/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/lpdf-pdx.xml usedmethod=database
used file       >   11: filename=knuth filetype=tex foundname=c:/Ctx-Beta/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/sample/knuth.tex usedmethod=database
used file       >   12: filename=tufte filetype=tex foundname=c:/Ctx-Beta/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/sample/tufte.tex usedmethod=database

system          > files > stop used files

system          > options > start commandline options

used option     > currentrun="1"
used option     > fulljobname="D:/Lukas/Docs/Ull-Gra/Test/Ull-Gra.test22.mkiv"
used option     > halt-on-error="true"
used option     > input="D:/Lukas/Docs/Ull-Gra/Test/Ull-Gra.test22.mkiv"
used option     > kindofrun="1"
used option     > maxnofruns="8"
used option     > no-parse-first-line="true"
used option     > nonstopmode="true"
used option     > path="D:\\Lukas\\ConTeXt\\Styles"

system          > options > stop commandline options

system          > options > start commandline files

used file       >    1: D:/Lukas/Docs/Ull-Gra/Test/Ull-Gra.test22.mkiv

system          > options > stop commandline files

mkiv lua stats  > used config file: selfautoparent:/texmf/web2c/texmfcnf.lua
mkiv lua stats  > used cache path: c:/Ctx-Beta/tex/texmf-cache/luatex-cache/context/5fe67e0bfe781ce0dde776fb1556f32e
mkiv lua stats  > resource resolver: loadtime 0.012 seconds, 1 scans with scantime 0.031 seconds, 0 shared scans, 12 found files, scanned paths: c:/windows/fonts
mkiv lua stats  > stored bytecode data: 353 modules (0.159 sec), 69 tables (0.004 sec), 422 chunks (0.163 sec)
mkiv lua stats  > running in nuts mode: yes
mkiv lua stats  > cleaned up reserved nodes: 45 nodes, 442 lists of 441
mkiv lua stats  > node memory usage: 3 glue, 3 penalty, 16 attribute, 52 glue_spec, 4 attribute_list, 2 temp
mkiv lua stats  > node list callback tasks: 6 unique task lists, 5 instances (re)created, 211 calls
mkiv lua stats  > used backend: pdf (backend for directly generating pdf output)
mkiv lua stats  > loaded patterns: en::2, load time: 0.000
mkiv lua stats  > jobdata time: 0.000 seconds saving, 0.000 seconds loading
mkiv lua stats  > callbacks: 539 direct, 272 indirect, 811 total
mkiv lua stats  > result saved in file: Ull-Gra.pdf, compresslevel 3, objectcompresslevel 3
mkiv lua stats  > loaded fonts: 4 files: latinmodern-math.otf, lmroman10-bold.otf, lmroman10-regular.otf, lmroman12-regular.otf
mkiv lua stats  > fonts load time: 0.254 seconds for 7 fonts, 1 shared in backend, 0 common vectors, 1 common hashes
mkiv lua stats  > used platform: mswin, type: windows, binary subtree: texmf-mswin
mkiv lua stats  > luatex banner: this is luatex, version beta-0.79.1 (tex live 2014/w32tex) (rev 5041)
mkiv lua stats  > control sequences: 39074 of 65536 + 100000
mkiv lua stats  > lua properties: engine: lua, used memory: 36 MB (ctx: 35 MB), hash type: lua, hash chars: min(64,40), symbol mask: utf (τεχ)
mkiv lua stats  > runtime: 0.931 seconds, 4 processed pages, 4 shipped pages, 4.296 pages/second

[-- Attachment #4: Ull-Gra.test22.mkiv --]

[...]

[-- Attachment #5: Ull-Gra.test22.pdf --]

* Re: new beta - \pushbackground broken
@ 2015-07-12 10:04   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2015-07-12 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 7/12/2015 12:22 AM, Lukáš Procházka wrote:
> Hello,
>
> \pushbackground seems to be broken in the last beta - this doesn't
> compile (but it did till now):

works ok here ... also, that code hasn't changed

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE