* issues with bookmarks
@ 2015-07-26 18:01 Pablo Rodriguez
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2015-07-26 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans,

sorry for the long message, but I’m afraid that bookmarks have some issues.

1. When specifying sectionblocks, bookmarks for parts don’t contain
chapters as child elements:

    \setupinteraction[state=start]
    \placebookmarks[part, chapter][part, chapter]
    \setuphead[part][placehead=yes]
    \starttext
    \startfrontmatter
    \chapter{Foreword}
    \chapter{Introduction}
    \stopfrontmatter
    \startbodymatter
    \part{First Part}
    \chapter{First Chapter}
    \chapter{Second Chapter}
    \part{Second Part}
    \chapter{Third Chapter}
    \chapter{Fourth Chapter}
    \stopbodymatter
    \stoptext

It isn’t related to parts and chapters, it also happens with chapters
and sections:

    \setupinteraction[state=start]
    \placebookmarks[chapter, section][chapter, section]
    \starttext
    \startfrontmatter
    \section{Foreword}
    \section{Introduction}
    \stopfrontmatter
    \startbodymatter
    \chapter{First chapter}
    \section{First section}
    \section{Second section}
    \chapter{Second chapter}
    \section{Third section}
    \section{Fourth section}
    \stopbodymatter
    \stoptext

It works fine, if sectionblocks are removed:

    \setupinteraction[state=start]
    \placebookmarks[part, chapter][part, chapter]
    \setuphead[part][placehead=yes]
    \starttext
    \chapter{Foreword}
    \chapter{Introduction}
    \part{First Part}
    \chapter{First Chapter}
    \chapter{Second Chapter}
    \part{Second Part}
    \chapter{Third Chapter}
    \chapter{Fourth Chapter}
    \stoptext

2. Sectionblocks also displace bookmark location, such as in this sample:

    \setupinteraction[state=start]
    \placebookmarks[part, chapter, hiddentitle][part, chapter]
    \setuphead[part][placehead=yes]
    \definehead
        [hiddentitle]
        [chapter]
    \setuphead
        [hiddentitle]
        [number=no]
    \starttext
    \hiddentitle{[Copyright]}
    \startfrontmatter
    \chapter{Foreword}
    \chapter{Introduction}
    \stopfrontmatter
    \startbodymatter
    \part{First Part}
    \chapter{First Chapter}
    \chapter{Second Chapter}
    \part{Second Part}
    \chapter{Third Chapter}
    \chapter{Fourth Chapter}
    \stopbodymatter
    \stoptext

Foreword and Introduction are listed after Fourth Chapter.

If sectionblocks are removed, bookmark listing is ordered right:

    \setupinteraction[state=start]
    \placebookmarks[part, chapter, hiddentitle][part, chapter]
    \setuphead[part][placehead=yes]
    \definehead
        [hiddentitle]
        [chapter]
    \setuphead
        [hiddentitle]
        [number=no]
    \starttext
    \hiddentitle{[Copyright]}
    \chapter{Foreword}
    \chapter{Introduction}
    \part{First Part}
    \chapter{First Chapter}
    \chapter{Second Chapter}
    \part{Second Part}
    \chapter{Third Chapter}
    \chapter{Fourth Chapter}
    \stoptext

3. In the previous sample, as well in the following one, bookmark
hierarchy is wrong:

    \setupinteraction[state=start]
    \placebookmarks[part, chapter, hiddentitle][part, chapter]
    \setuphead[part][placehead=yes]
    \definehead
        [hiddentitle]
        [chapter]
    \setuphead
        [hiddentitle]
        [number=no]
    \starttext
    \hiddentitle{[Copyright]}
    \startfrontmatter
    \chapter{Foreword}
    \chapter{Introduction}
    \stopfrontmatter
    \startbodymatter
    \part{First Part}
    \chapter{First Chapter}
    \chapter{Second Chapter}
    \part{Second Part}
    \chapter{Third Chapter}
    \chapter{Fourth Chapter}
    \stopbodymatter
    \startbackmatter
    \chapter{Conclusions}
    \chapter{Epilogue}
    \stopbackmatter
    \stoptext

I’m afraid that (the misplaced Foreword or Introduction and) Conclusions
and Epilogue should be first-level bookmarks (such as Copyright is).

After a sectionblock, chapters should have first-level bookmarks if
there is no part bookmark containing them. Otherwise, this will be the
misleading impression that the chapters are children of the part bookmark.

Am I missing something or have I hit a bug?

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: issues with bookmarks
@ 2015-07-26 21:58 ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2015-07-26 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 26 Jul 2015 20:01:40 +0200
Pablo Rodriguez <oinos@gmx.es> wrote:

> bookmarks have some issues.

Indeed, I observe similar issues.

However, I do not make much use of these bookmarks so I have not paid
too much attention to this for now.

Alan

* Re: issues with bookmarks
@ 2015-07-27 12:39   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2015-07-27 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 7/26/2015 11:58 PM, Alan BRASLAU wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Jul 2015 20:01:40 +0200
> Pablo Rodriguez <oinos@gmx.es> wrote:
>
>> bookmarks have some issues.
>
> Indeed, I observe similar issues.
>
> However, I do not make much use of these bookmarks so I have not paid
> too much attention to this for now.

I hate bookmarks and never use them.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: issues with bookmarks
@ 2015-07-27 12:47 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2015-07-27 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 7/26/2015 8:01 PM, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
> Hans,
>
> sorry for the long message, but I’m afraid that bookmarks have some issues.
>
> 1. When specifying sectionblocks, bookmarks for parts don’t contain
> chapters as child elements:
>
>      \setupinteraction[state=start]
>      \placebookmarks[part, chapter][part, chapter]
>      \setuphead[part][placehead=yes]
>      \starttext
>      \startfrontmatter
>      \chapter{Foreword}
>      \chapter{Introduction}
>      \stopfrontmatter
>      \startbodymatter
>      \part{First Part}
>      \chapter{First Chapter}
>      \chapter{Second Chapter}
>      \part{Second Part}
>      \chapter{Third Chapter}
>      \chapter{Fourth Chapter}
>      \stopbodymatter
>      \stoptext

In SumatraPDF (which i use mostly) and Acrobat I see

  Foreword
  Introduction
  1 First Part
  1.1 First Chapter
  1.2 Second Chapter
  2 Second Part
  2.1 Third Chapter
  2.2 Fourth Chapter

I remember a thread about bugged viewers so maybe your viewer is not ok.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: issues with bookmarks
@ 2015-07-27 13:26 ` juh
From: juh @ 2015-07-27 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am 26.07.2015 um 20:01 schrieb Pablo Rodriguez:
> Hans,
>
> sorry for the long message, but I’m afraid that bookmarks have some issues.

I can confirm this behaviour on Ubuntu (evince) and MacOS X (Preview and
Acrobat Reader)

juh

* Re: issues with bookmarks
@ 2015-07-27 14:13   ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2015-07-27 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 07/27/2015 02:47 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> Hans,
>>
>> sorry for the long message, but I’m afraid that bookmarks have some issues.
>>
>> 1. When specifying sectionblocks, bookmarks for parts don’t contain
>> chapters as child elements:
>>
>>      \setupinteraction[state=start]
>>      \placebookmarks[part, chapter][part, chapter]
>>      \setuphead[part][placehead=yes]
>>      \starttext
>>      \startfrontmatter
>>      \chapter{Foreword}
>>      \chapter{Introduction}
>>      \stopfrontmatter
>>      \startbodymatter
>>      \part{First Part}
>>      \chapter{First Chapter}
>>      \chapter{Second Chapter}
>>      \part{Second Part}
>>      \chapter{Third Chapter}
>>      \chapter{Fourth Chapter}
>>      \stopbodymatter
>>      \stoptext
>
> In SumatraPDF (which i use mostly) and Acrobat I see
>
>   Foreword
>   Introduction
>   1 First Part
>   1.1 First Chapter
>   1.2 Second Chapter
>   2 Second Part
>   2.1 Third Chapter
>   2.2 Fourth Chapter
>
> I remember a thread about bugged viewers so maybe your viewer is not ok.

Hans,

evince shows the same output. But the bookmarks are wrong in all viewers.

I’m afraid that issue 1 shows uncontained bookmarks. The first and
second code samples from #1 are wrong and the third code sample from #1
is right.

Issue 2 misplaced bookmarks and issue 3 shows wrong indented bookmarks.

Sorry but I’m afraid that the issues may be bugs.

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: issues with bookmarks
@ 2015-07-27 17:34     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2015-07-27 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 7/27/2015 4:13 PM, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
> On 07/27/2015 02:47 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> On 7/26/2015 8:01 PM, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
>>> Hans,
>>>
>>> sorry for the long message, but I’m afraid that bookmarks have some issues.
>>>
>>> 1. When specifying sectionblocks, bookmarks for parts don’t contain
>>> chapters as child elements:
>>>
>>>       \setupinteraction[state=start]
>>>       \placebookmarks[part, chapter][part, chapter]
>>>       \setuphead[part][placehead=yes]
>>>       \starttext
>>>       \startfrontmatter
>>>       \chapter{Foreword}
>>>       \chapter{Introduction}
>>>       \stopfrontmatter
>>>       \startbodymatter
>>>       \part{First Part}
>>>       \chapter{First Chapter}
>>>       \chapter{Second Chapter}
>>>       \part{Second Part}
>>>       \chapter{Third Chapter}
>>>       \chapter{Fourth Chapter}
>>>       \stopbodymatter
>>>       \stoptext
>>
>> In SumatraPDF (which i use mostly) and Acrobat I see
>>
>>    Foreword
>>    Introduction
>>    1 First Part
>>    1.1 First Chapter
>>    1.2 Second Chapter
>>    2 Second Part
>>    2.1 Third Chapter
>>    2.2 Fourth Chapter
>>
>> I remember a thread about bugged viewers so maybe your viewer is not ok.
>
> Hans,
>
> evince shows the same output. But the bookmarks are wrong in all viewers.
>
> I’m afraid that issue 1 shows uncontained bookmarks. The first and
> second code samples from #1 are wrong and the third code sample from #1
> is right.
>
> Issue 2 misplaced bookmarks and issue 3 shows wrong indented bookmarks.
>
> Sorry but I’m afraid that the issues may be bugs.

Hm, the bookmarks themselves are okay but you mean the collapsing of
them. That is a side effect of lack of parts in the preceding block. I
have a fix for that but of course I don't know it there are other side
effects. There is only so much one can do with such structures.

The other issue, the copyright one, is a result of putting something
outside the blocks and as we default to frontpart you effectively end up
with a mixed block structure in the lists

bodypart .. frontpart .. bodypart

\starttext
\setsectionblock[frontpart]
\hiddentitle{[Copyright1]}

fixes this. Anyway, I tried to make that kind of automatic now but it's
a real ugly hack (one of these things a reader of the code will wonder
about why it's there and also one of things i will forget about after a
while).

I'll make a beta later. Not much testing at my end.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: issues with bookmarks
@ 2015-07-27 18:21       ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2015-07-27 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 07/27/2015 07:34 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
> [...]
> Hm, the bookmarks themselves are okay but you mean the collapsing of
> them. That is a side effect of lack of parts in the preceding block. I
> have a fix for that but of course I don't know it there are other side
> effects. There is only so much one can do with such structures.

Many thanks for the fast fix and the new beta, Hans.

As far as I have tested it, everything works fine, excepting that
chapters from a secition block with no given parts are collapsed in the
last part from previous block.

Minimal sample that shows the behaviour (colophon doesn’t actually
belong to part):

    \setupinteraction[state=start]
    \placebookmarks[part, chapter][part, chapter]
    \setuphead[part][placehead=yes]
    \starttext
    \startbodymatter
    \part{Part}
    \chapter{Chapter}
    \stopbodymatter
    \startbackmatter
    \chapter{Colophon}
    \stopbackmatter
    \stoptext

Could this be fixed too? (Each section block should restart bookmarks as
totally independent.)

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--