* Formatting footnotes
@ 2015-08-03  9:31 robheus
From: robheus @ 2015-08-03  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello list,

I want some adjustments to my footnotes.

1. The note number in the footnote needs to be normal instead of
superscript.

2. The placement of the number is now in the margin, but needs to be in
the normal starting position of body text. Of course the foot note texts
then has to shift accordingly to the right, and leaving enough room for
footnote numbers not exceeding 99.

How do I dot this?

Greetings,

Rob

* Re: Formatting footnotes
@ 2015-08-03 10:00 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2015-08-03 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> robheus <mailto:robheus@xs4all.nl>
> 3. August 2015 11:31
> Hello list,
>
> I want some adjustments to my footnotes.
>
> 1. The note number in the footnote needs to be normal instead of
> superscript.
>
> 2. The placement of the number is now in the margin, but needs to be
> in the normal starting position of body text. Of course the foot note
> texts then has to shift accordingly to the right, and leaving enough
> room for footnote numbers not exceeding 99.
>
> How do I dot this?
\setupnotation[footnote][alternative=serried,numbercommand=]

\starttext
One\footnote{First footnote.}
Two\footnote{Second footnote.}
\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: Formatting footnotes
@ 2015-08-04 18:29   ` robheus
From: robheus @ 2015-08-04 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wolfgang Schuster schreef op 2015-08-03 12:00:
>> robheus
>> 3. August 2015 11:31
>> Hello list,
>>
>> I want some adjustments to my footnotes.
>>
>> 1. The note number in the footnote needs to be normal instead of
>> superscript.
>>
>> 2. The placement of the number is now in the margin, but needs to be
>> in the normal starting position of body text. Of course the foot
>> note texts then has to shift accordingly to the right, and leaving
>> enough room for footnote numbers not exceeding 99.
>>
>> How do I dot this?
>  \setupnotation[footnote][alternative=serried,numbercommand=]
>
> \starttext
> One\footnote{First footnote.}
> Two\footnote{Second footnote.}
> \stoptext
>
> Wolfgang

Thanks Wolfgang. This is almost the result what I want, just that I want
the footnote text in a seperate column, not the first line of a footnote
indented.

Rob

* Re: Formatting footnotes
@ 2015-08-05 10:34     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2015-08-05 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

> robheus <mailto:robheus@xs4all.nl>
> 4. August 2015 20:29
>

> Thanks Wolfgang. This is almost the result what I want, just that I
> want the footnote text in a seperate column, not the first line of a
> footnote indented.

You can set a fixed width for the footnote numbers and align them to the
right.

\setupnotation
   [footnote]
   [alternative=left,
    width=2em,
    headalign=left,
    numbercommand=]

\starttext
\dorecurse{200}{Footnote\footnote{This is a footnote.} }
\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: Formatting footnotes
@ 2015-08-06 12:09       ` robheus
From: robheus @ 2015-08-06 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wolfgang Schuster schreef op 2015-08-05 12:34:
>> robheus
>> 4. August 2015 20:29
>>
>> Thanks Wolfgang. This is almost the result what I want, just that I
>> want the footnote text in a seperate column, not the first line of a
>> footnote indented.
>
> You can set a fixed width for the footnote numbers and align them to
> the right.
>
> \setupnotation
>   [footnote]
>   [alternative=left,
>    width=2em,
>    headalign=left,
>    numbercommand=]
>
> \starttext
> \dorecurse{200}{Footnote\footnote{This is a footnote.} }
> \stoptext
>
> Wolfgang

Thanks Wolfgang. Exactly what I needed.

One more question, about the rule for seperating footnotes from normal
text.

The document I am re-editting uses a style that only shows the rule in
case the footnote text is a continuation of a footnote started on a
the footnote number), but does *not* show the rule when the footnote
text starts with the footnote number (and text following the footnote),
which makes sense I think, because a continued footnote can then be
better distinguished from normal text.

However, ConText only allows to either display or not display the rule.
Is it possible to implement in Context the behaviour for displaying the
rule as described above?

Perhaps it can be added to the wish-list for a new version?

greetings,

Rob