* narrow space in "\ldots."
@ 2009-05-08 19:03 Ryo Furue
From: Ryo Furue @ 2009-05-08 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello ConTeXt folks,

I'm quite new to ConTeXt.  I like it.
It's way more systematic than LaTeX.

Here's my first question.  When omitting the last
part of  a sentence, I want four periods:

  This is a long sentence which\ldots.

LaTeX produces equally-spaced four periods,
but with ConTeXt, the last space is narrower
than the preceding two.  (See examples below.)
I guess that LaTeX specifically designed
its \ldots with this use (sentence-ending four dots)
in mind.  How can one fix it in ConTeXt?

I use the "context" package version 2008.05.21-1
on Debian testing.  The LaTeX is from the
texlive-latex packages.

Cheers,
Ryo
================================
%--- ConTeXt version ----------
\starttext
Hello\ldots.  World.\ldots
\stoptext

%--- LaTeX version ------
\documentclass{article}
\begin{document}
Hello\ldots.  World.\ldots
\end{document}

* Re: narrow space in "\ldots."
@ 2009-05-08 19:56 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-05-08 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ryo Furue wrote:
> Hello ConTeXt folks,
>
> I'm quite new to ConTeXt.  I like it.
> It's way more systematic than LaTeX.
>
> Here's my first question.  When omitting the last
> part of  a sentence, I want four periods:
>
>   This is a long sentence which\ldots.

which\unknown

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: narrow space in "\ldots."
@ 2009-05-08 20:22   ` Ryo Furue
From: Ryo Furue @ 2009-05-08 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello Hans,

| > Hello ConTeXt folks,
| > I'm quite new to ConTeXt.  I like it.
| > It's way more systematic than LaTeX.
| > Here's my first question.  When omitting the last
| > part of  a sentence, I want four periods:
| >   This is a long sentence which\ldots.
|
| which\unknown

Thanks for the answer!  It's close, but not quite.
First, I noticed that \unknown produces three dots, not four.
So, I tried "\unknown."  (See the attached.)  In this case,
There is a thin space between the word and the first dot,
so that the output looks like

   which . . . .

Convention says that the fist dot should look like a
sentence-ending period:

   which. . . .

Second, with "\unknown.", the last space is slightly,
just slightly, narrower than the preceding two.

I guess "\unknown" is designed to be an inter-sentence
ellipsis:

  This long sentence\unknown is complicated.

For this purpose, it's perfect.  It generates appropriate
spaces before and after the three dots.

Regards,
Ryo
\starttext
Hello\ldots.  World.\ldots

Hello\unknown.  World.\unknown

Hello\unknown World.
\stoptext

* Re: narrow space in "\ldots."
@ 2009-05-09  8:45     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-05-09  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 08.05.2009 um 22:22 schrieb Ryo Furue:

> \starttext
> Hello\ldots.  World.\ldots
>
> Hello\unknown.  World.\unknown
>
> Hello\unknown World.
> \stoptext

\unexpanded\def\fourdots{{\def\periodswidth{.3em}\periods[4]}}

\starttext
Hello\fourdots\ World\fourdots

Hello\fourdots\ World.
\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: narrow space in "\ldots."
@ 2009-05-11 21:14       ` Ryo Furue
From: Ryo Furue @ 2009-05-11 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Wolfgang,

| \unexpanded\def\fourdots{{\def\periodswidth{.3em}\periods[4]}}
|
| \starttext
| Hello\fourdots\ World\fourdots
|
| Hello\fourdots\ World.
| \stoptext

Thanks for the macro!  It's almost perfect. . . .  I thought I was
imagining things, but the distance between the last letter of the word
and the first dot actually seems to be dependent on the parameter
"\periodswidth{.3em}".  See the attached example.

I changed it to "\periodswidth{.4em}" and then the distance is
larger with \fourdots than with \ldots  .  The distance \ldots
produces is the same as a raw period produces.  If possible,
I'd like the distance to be always the same as the one
a raw period produces.

By the way, I'm wondering where one should store personal macro files.
With LaTeX (texlive-latex), ~/texmf/tex/latex/ seems to be the default
place.  Is ~/texmf/tex/context/ a recommended place?

Ryo
-------------
%
% Use a large font to make the difference clearer.
%
\unexpanded\def\fourdots{{\def\periodswidth{.4em}\periods[4]}}
\starttext
Hello. World.

Hello\ldots.  World.

Hello\fourdots\ World.

Hello. World.
\stoptext

* Re: narrow space in "\ldots."
@ 2009-05-11 21:18         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-05-11 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ryo Furue wrote:

> By the way, I'm wondering where one should store personal macro files.
> With LaTeX (texlive-latex), ~/texmf/tex/latex/ seems to be the default
> place.  Is ~/texmf/tex/context/ a recommended place?

texmf-project/tex/context/user/

is a pretty safe place

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE