* Strange problem with EBGaramond st ligature and 20150901 beta
@ 2015-09-03 21:04 Rik Kabel
From: Rik Kabel @ 2015-09-03 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Please help with the strangest problem I have come across.

The following document fails (does not complete, hangs) when the
following conditions hold:

  * ConTeXt  ver: 2015.09.01 11:10 MKIV beta  fmt: 2015.9.3  int:
    english/english
  * \mainlanguage[en] or fr
  * Font EBGaramond otf from EBGaramond-0.016.zip
    https://bitbucket.org/georgd/eb-garamond/downloads
  * Font features clig and hlig
  * Font style \it or \sl
  * Text string (among others) astro istar istra ister istor istro istur

The problem is the same with \usemodule[newotf] and without.

The problem does not occur with:

  *   ConTeXt  ver: 2015.08.30 17:07 MKIV beta  fmt: 2015.8.30 int:
    english/english.
  * \mainlanguage la or de.
  * \tf or \sc or \bd (there is no bold in the font).

The issue appears to be related to the st ligature, but only in
conjunction with some other letters.

Can somebody else reproduce the problem. For the record, this is running
on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

The problem document:

       \definefontfeature [ff:ebg][default][
                                            clig=yes,hlig=yes,  %% 1 %%
                                            ]
       \definefontfamily  [mainface][serif][ebgaramond]
                                           [features=ff:ebg]
       \setupbodyfont     [mainface]
    % \mainlanguage[la]                                        %% 2 %%
       \mainlanguage[fr]                                        %% 3 %%
    \starttext
       \it                                                      %% 4 %%
    % \tf                                                      %% 5 %%
       astro                                                    %% 6 %%
    % aStro                                                    %% 7 %%
    % asTor                                                    %% 8 %%
    \stoptext

--
Rik

* Re: Strange problem with EBGaramond st ligature and 20150901 beta
@ 2015-09-04  9:19 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2015-09-04  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 9/3/2015 11:04 PM, Rik Kabel wrote:
> Please help with the strangest problem I have come across.
>
> The following document fails (does not complete, hangs) when the
> following conditions hold:
>
>   * ConTeXt  ver: 2015.09.01 11:10 MKIV beta  fmt: 2015.9.3  int:
>     english/english
>   * \mainlanguage[en] or fr
>   * Font EBGaramond otf from EBGaramond-0.016.zip
>     https://bitbucket.org/georgd/eb-garamond/downloads
>   * Font features clig and hlig
>   * Font style \it or \sl
>   * Text string (among others) astro istar istra ister istor istro istur
>
> The problem is the same with \usemodule[newotf] and without.
>
> The problem does not occur with:
>
>   *   ConTeXt  ver: 2015.08.30 17:07 MKIV beta  fmt: 2015.8.30 int:
>     english/english.
>   * \mainlanguage la or de.
>   * \tf or \sc or \bd (there is no bold in the font).
>
> The issue appears to be related to the st ligature, but only in
> conjunction with some other letters.

more in conjunction with hyphenation

> Can somebody else reproduce the problem. For the record, this is running
> on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.
>
> The problem document:
>
>        \definefontfeature [ff:ebg][default][
>                                             clig=yes,hlig=yes,  %% 1 %%
>                                             ]
>        \definefontfamily  [mainface][serif][ebgaramond]
>                                            [features=ff:ebg]
>        \setupbodyfont     [mainface]
>     % \mainlanguage[la]                                        %% 2 %%
>        \mainlanguage[fr]                                        %% 3 %%
>     \starttext
>        \it                                                      %% 4 %%
>     % \tf                                                      %% 5 %%
>        astro                                                    %% 6 %%
>     % aStro                                                    %% 7 %%
>     % asTor                                                    %% 8 %%
>     \stoptext

There is indeed a loop there. I uploaded a fixed version. Recently Kai
and I have upgraded the fonthandler with respect to ligature
(contextual) and kerning which is sort of messy given the different
approaches that font use for dealing with ligatures. This is normally no
issue but interferes badly with hyphenation.

The new font handler (m-newotf) is also updated and has a bit better
performance (and I have a local experimental variant that is again
somewhat faster (15%) but that depends on a few more pending luatex
helpers).

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE