* context wiki and luatex.org offline
@ 2015-02-03 15:45 Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2015-02-03 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi guys,

The harddisk of the server that (amongst other things) runs the ConTeXt wiki and
various luatex.org websites has apparently crashed. We are trying to get the server
running again, but it could take some time before everything is back online.

Best wishes,
Taco

* using context wiki offline?
@ 2015-02-05 11:43 ` Jörg Weger
From: Jörg Weger @ 2015-02-05 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

The recent crash of the context wiki reminded me that for wikipedia it
is possible to download the whole wiki and use it offline.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Database_download

It would be great if you could do that with contextgarden as well.

(Maybe you can do that already but I don’t know how :) )

Greetings Jörg

On 03.02.2015 16:45, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> The harddisk of the server that (amongst other things) runs the ConTeXt wiki and
> various luatex.org websites has apparently crashed. We are trying to get the server
> running again, but it could take some time before everything is back online.
>
> Best wishes,
> Taco

* superior numbers for footnote numbers?
@ 2015-02-05 12:01   ` Jörg Weger
From: Jörg Weger @ 2015-02-05 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Better equipped opentype fonts offer so called superior numbers as an
opentype feature. Those are special smaller figures for “superscript”
(opentype feature “sups”) that are not simply scaled down versions of
the normal figures (be they oldstyle or lining) you are normally using.

Scaling down is as far as I understood the default way context is using
to generate the numbers for footnotes. Is there a way to define the use
of unscaled superiors according to the fontsizes of body text and
footnote text instead?

Greetings Jörg

PS: I am using for serif the “Linux Libertine O” family (installed as
OTF and invoked by the included mkiv simplefont mechanism) which has the
“sups” feature.

* Re: superior numbers for footnote numbers?
@ 2015-02-05 12:14     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2015-02-05 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 05.02.2015 um 13:01 schrieb Jörg Weger <joerg73.muc@googlemail.com>:
>

> Better equipped opentype fonts offer so called superior numbers as an opentype feature. Those are special smaller figures for “superscript” (opentype feature “sups”) that are not simply scaled down versions of the normal figures (be they oldstyle or lining) you are normally using.
>
> Scaling down is as far as I understood the default way context is using to generate the numbers for footnotes. Is there a way to define the use of unscaled superiors according to the fontsizes of body text and footnote text instead?
>
> Greetings Jörg
>
> PS: I am using for serif the “Linux Libertine O” family (installed as OTF and invoked by the included mkiv simplefont mechanism) which has the “sups” feature.

\definefontfamily [mainface][rm][Linux Libertine O]
\definefontfamily [mainface][mm][TeX Gyre Pagella Math]

\definefontfeature[f:sups][sups=yes]

\setupbodyfont[mainface]

\setupnote    [footnote][textcommand=,textstyle=\addff{f:sups}]
\setupnotation[footnote][numbercommand=,headstyle=\addff{f:sups}]

\starttext

\input knuth\footnote{Knuth sample text}

\input ward\footnote{Ward sample text}

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: superior numbers for footnote numbers?
@ 2015-02-05 13:10       ` Jörg Weger
From: Jörg Weger @ 2015-02-05 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you very much! I had not thought it was that easy!

Jörg

@ 2015-02-05 22:46         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2015-02-05 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2/5/2015 2:10 PM, Jörg Weger wrote:
> Thank you very much! I had not thought it was that easy!
>
> Jörg
>
> On 05.02.2015 13:14, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>> \definefontfamily [mainface][rm][Linux Libertine O]
>> \definefontfamily [mainface][mm][TeX Gyre Pagella Math]
>>
>> \definefontfeature[f:sups][sups=yes]
>>
>> \setupbodyfont[mainface]
>>
>> \setupnote    [footnote][textcommand=,textstyle=\addff{f:sups}]
>> \setupnotation[footnote][numbercommand=,headstyle=\addff{f:sups}]
>>
>> \starttext
>>
>> \input knuth\footnote{Knuth sample text}
>>
>> \input ward\footnote{Ward sample text}
>>
>> \stoptext

i'll add:

\definefontfeature[f:superiors][sups=yes]

\unexpanded\def\setsuperiors{\doaddfeature{f:superiors}}

(we already have \setsmallcaps, \settabular and \setoldstyle)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2015-02-06  1:25           ` Jörg Weger
From: Jörg Weger @ 2015-02-06  1:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Hans,

Those are nice self-explanatory commands which also mean I don’t have to
define them myself.

 From my short opentype feature experience I would add the following
combinations (defined names could be shortened, long names here only for
better explanation):

Tabular oldstyle numbers (oldstyle numbers aligning correctly in tables
through fixed spacing):

\definefontfeature[f:tabular_oldstyle][onum=yes,tnum=yes]

\unexpanded\def\settaboldstyle{\doaddfeature{f:tabular_oldstyle}}

\settaboldstyle

Proportional oldstyle numbers (oldstyle numbers for in-text use
spaced/kerned according to their forms):

\definefontfeature[f:proportional_oldstyle][onum=yes,pnum=yes]

\unexpanded\def\setpropoldstyle{\doaddfeature{f:proportional_oldstyle}}

\setpropoldstyle

Tabular lining numbers (lining numbers aligning correctly in tables
through fixed spacing):

\definefontfeature[f:tabular_lining][lnum=yes,tnum=yes]

\unexpanded\def\settablining{\doaddfeature{f:tabular_lining}}

\settablining

Proportional lining numbers (lining numbers spaced/kerned according to
their forms):

\definefontfeature[f:proportional_lining][lnum=yes,pnum=yes]

\unexpanded\def\setproplining{\doaddfeature{f:proportional_lining}}

\setproplining

plus

Scientific inferiors (numbers for subscript, e.g. in chemical formulas):

\definefontfeature[f:inferiors][sinf=yes]

\unexpanded\def\setinferiors{\doaddfeature{f:inferiors}}

\setinferiors

Of course all this works only if the font offers the according opentype
features.

Greetings Jörg