* disabling ligatures in selected words
@ 2015-10-23 18:51 Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2015-10-23 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

in German typography, ligatures are disabled at boundaries between what
used to be independent words (Wortfugen). Thusly, in a correct German
text, you'd find

Anflug (with fl-ligature) but

Auf|lage (without ligature).

I know that I can prevent a ligature with something like Auf\/lage or
even Auf|*|lage. However, I typeset from xml and would much rather have
a general solution so I can leave my generated xml files alone.
Something like a list where I could list "ligature exceptions" the way
we have a file with hyphenation exceptions. Is anything like this possible?

Thanks

Thomas

* Re: disabling ligatures in selected words
@ 2015-10-23 18:57 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2015-10-23 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 23 Oct 2015, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> in German typography, ligatures are disabled at boundaries between what used
> to be independent words (Wortfugen). Thusly, in a correct German text, you'd
> find
>
> Anflug (with fl-ligature) but
>
> Auf| lage (without ligature).
>
> I know that I can prevent a ligature with something like Auf\/lage or even
> Auf|*|lage. However, I typeset from xml and would much rather have a general
> solution so I can leave my generated xml files alone. Something like a list
> where I could list "ligature exceptions" the way we have a file with
> hyphenation exceptions. Is anything like this possible?

This has been asked on tex stackexchange. One option is to use the
translate module:

http://tex.stackexchange.com/a/37465/323
http://tex.stackexchange.com/a/28746/323

Aditya

* Re: disabling ligatures in selected words
@ 2015-10-23 19:09   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2015-10-23 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Aditya Mahajan <mailto:adityam@umich.edu>
> 23. Oktober 2015 um 20:57
> On Fri, 23 Oct 2015, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
>

> This has been asked on tex stackexchange. One option is to use the
> translate module:
>
> http://tex.stackexchange.com/a/37465/323
> http://tex.stackexchange.com/a/28746/323
>
> Aditya
> 23. Oktober 2015 um 20:51
> Hi,
>
> in German typography, ligatures are disabled at boundaries between
> what used to be independent words (Wortfugen). Thusly, in a correct
> German text, you'd find
>
> Anflug (with fl-ligature) but
>
> Auf|lage (without ligature).
>
> I know that I can prevent a ligature with something like Auf\/lage or
> even Auf|*|lage. However, I typeset from xml and would much rather
> have a general solution so I can leave my generated xml files alone.
> Something like a list where I could list "ligature exceptions" the way
> we have a file with hyphenation exceptions. Is anything like this
> possible?
Take a look at the new replacement mechanism (lang-rep.mkiv):

- http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2015/083044.html
- http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2015/083034.html

Wolfgang

* Re: disabling ligatures in selected words
@ 2015-10-23 19:23     ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2015-10-23 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 23.10.2015 21:09, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> Take a look at the new replacement mechanism (lang-rep.mkiv):
>
> - http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2015/083044.html
> - http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2015/083034.html

Aditya, Wolfgang,

thank you both - both solutions look great and now I remember having
seen the thread that Wolfgang linked to. Will try both of them!

Thanks and all best

@ 2016-01-12 14:37       ` Jan U. Hasecke
From: Jan U. Hasecke @ 2016-01-12 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi Thomas,

Am 23.10.2015 um 21:23 schrieb Thomas A. Schmitz:
> On 23.10.2015 21:09, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>> Take a look at the new replacement mechanism (lang-rep.mkiv):
>>
>> - http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2015/083044.html
>> - http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2015/083034.html
>

> Aditya, Wolfgang,
>
> thank you both - both solutions look great and now I remember having
> seen the thread that Wolfgang linked to. Will try both of them!

Did you suceed? Where and how did you set the options?

I cannot get these solutions to work with my xml input file.

juh