* Obtaining features from EBGaramond font in ConTeXt
@ 2015-10-23  7:44 josephcanedo
From: josephcanedo @ 2015-10-23  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello all,

Wondered if you could figure out what I did wrong with specifying the font.

Asked question on TexExchange.org already, with samples.

http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/274471/obtaining-features-from-ebgaramond-font-in-context

I use texlive 2015 on Windows 8.1

Many thanks,

Best regards

Joseph Canedo

* Re: Obtaining features from EBGaramond font in ConTeXt
@ 2015-10-23 14:23 ` Rik Kabel
From: Rik Kabel @ 2015-10-23 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2015-10-23 03:44, josephcanedo@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Wondered if you could figure out what I did wrong with specifying the
> font.
> Asked question on TexExchange.org already, with samples.
>
> http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/274471/obtaining-features-from-ebgaramond-font-in-context
>
> I use texlive 2015 on Windows 8.1
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Best regards
>
> Joseph Canedo

First, some small changes to your example. Remove the enableregime
directive; ConTeXt MKIV, which you appear to be using, does not use
this. It is from ConTeXt MKII. Next, modify the definefontfeature and
definefontfamily commands as shown. (The default features for the font
are in the file type-imp-ebgaramond.mkiv.) That should be it to get started.

    \language[fr] % french hyphenation

    *\definefontfeature[myfeatures][ss02=yes,cv01=yes,cv03=yes,ss05=yes,cv91=yes]*

    *\definefontfamily[mainfont][serif][EBGaramond][features={default,myfeatures}]**
    *\setupbodyfont[mainfont, 8pt]*
    *
    \starttext

    session
    univers
    Que
    Quelconque
    Joseph
    ¶

    \stoptext

TL15 has problems with EBGaramond. The best you will get is:

With a more recent standalone version, you will get:

If you are setting older texts, you may also want to take advantage of
ConTeXt’s ability to automatically provide space before large
punctuation characters using the definecharacterspacing command.

One other note. Character variant 01 (cv01) is a very dull sword. The
rules for the use of long-ſ are much too complex for it to handle. For a
good overview of the issues, see Andrew West’s article in the TUGboat at
https://www.tug.org/TUGboat/tb32-1/tb100west.pdf. In my opinion you are
better off learning to insert it as needed in the text.

--
Rik

[-- Attachment #1.2.1: Type: text/html, Size: 4741 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #1.2.2: edjfaiia.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 5972 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #1.2.3: dajaigih.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 5802 bytes --]

* Re:  Obtaining features from EBGaramond font in ConTeXt
@ 2015-10-23 19:19   ` josephcanedo
From: josephcanedo @ 2015-10-23 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Thanks Rik,

I’ll install standalone ConTeXt along TexLive then.

Is there any place I could find docs on \definecharacterspacing command please ? Could not find any occurrence on the Wiki.

Many thanks

Best regards

Joseph

Sent from Windows Mail

[...]

[-- Attachment #2: edjfaiia.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 5972 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: dajaigih.png --]

@ 2015-10-23 19:49     ` Rik Kabel
From: Rik Kabel @ 2015-10-23 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2015-10-23 15:19, josephcanedo@gmail.com wrote:

> Is there any place I could find docs on \definecharacterspacing
> command please ? Could not find any occurrence on the Wiki.

The best description I have seen of it is in Wolfgang’s message on the
mailing list at
http://www.mail-archive.com/ntg-context%40ntg.nl/msg77942.html (or
http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2015/081569.html if you prefer
pipermail navigation). Basically, define the spacings you want with
\definecharacterspacing[myspacing][…][…=…,…=…] and put them in play with
\setcharacterspacing[myspacing]. Do it within a group to have it apply
only within that group, or apply it globally.

Sorry, no help here for the installation issue.

--
Rik

* Re:  Obtaining features from EBGaramond font in ConTeXt
@ 2015-10-23 20:47       ` josephcanedo
From: josephcanedo @ 2015-10-23 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

At the moment, I use “\,” between word and question marks. Also “~” between word and “:”. I guess the \definecharacterspacing is more flexible and transparent from text input point of view (only write normal space). IIRC both \, and ~ also avoids line breaking at their location. Is there a way to specify this too please ?

Thanks a lot for your valuable help,

Joseph

Sent from Windows Mail

@ 2015-10-23 21:33         ` Rik
From: Rik @ 2015-10-23 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2015-10-23 16:47, josephcanedo@gmail.com wrote:
> At the moment, I use “\,” between word and question marks. Also “~”
> between word and “:”. I guess the \definecharacterspacing is more
> flexible and transparent from text input point of view (only write
> normal space). IIRC both \, and ~ also avoids line breaking at their
> location. Is there a way to specify this too please ?

The characterspacing commands can take care of it. The following example
demonstrates this (I used the value 2 just to make it clear what is
happening). It appears that alternative=1 inhibits breaks, while
alternative=0 (or leaving alternative= out completely) allows breaks. I
have not seen documentation; what I know about it comes from tests like
the example below.

    \definecharacterspacing[test]
    \setupcharacterspacing[test]["003A][left=2,alternative=1] % :
    \setupcharacterspacing[test]["003B][left=2,alternative=0] % ;
    \setupcharacterspacing[test]["00BF][right=2,alternative=0] % ¿
    \starttext
    \hsize4cm
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:\par
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx :\par
    ¿xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx;\par
    ¿ xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ;\par
    \setcharacterspacing[test]
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:\par
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx :\par
    ¿xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx;\par
    ¿ xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ;\par
    \stoptext

(Many ConTeXt commands have a \defineABC[somename] and a
\setupABC[somename][options=…]. This can often, as is the case with
characterspacing, be shortened into one command,
\defineABC[somename][options=…], but I think not always.)

--
Rik