* More ebgaramond issues (newotf, finding fonts and kerning)
@ 2015-11-02  2:10 Rik Kabel
From: Rik Kabel @ 2015-11-02  2:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Three problems with ebgaramond.

  * With the new otf loading facility, kerning is not done.
  * With the new otf loading facility, the regular 8pt face is not
    found. If one is changing font size via \tfxx, the font size is not
    changed. If one is changing font size via \switchbodyfont[8pt],
    Latin Modern 8pt is substituted.
  * With the oldotf module loaded kerning is as expected for the 12pt
    regular face, the 8pt regular face, and the 8pt italic face. The
    12pt italic face, however, is not kerned.

    %\usemodule[oldotf]% uncomment to see previous otf handling
    \showfontkerns
    \setupbodyfont[ebgaramond]
    \def\Test{Vowel Tavern Tomato {\it Vowel Tavern Tomato}\par}
    \starttext
    \Test
    {\tfxx
    \Test}
    \switchtobodyfont[8pt]
    \Test
    \stoptext

This was tested on W10/64 using ConTeXt  ver: 2015.10.09 21:28 MKIV
beta  fmt: 2015.11.1  int: english/english, with EBGaramond files
version 0.016 (April 2014) installed in C:\Windows\Fonts. Same results
with luajittex (This is LuajitTeX, Version beta-0.80.0 (TeX Live
2015/W32TeX) (rev 5238)) and luatex (This is LuaTeX, Version beta-0.81.1
(TeX Live 2015/W32TeX) (rev 5442)).

Is this a problem with my font installation, or is it a general problem?

--
Rik

* Re:  More ebgaramond issues (newotf, finding fonts and kerning)
@ 2015-11-02  7:32 ` josephcanedo
From: josephcanedo @ 2015-11-02  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Tried locally on W8.1/64 and otherwise same ConTeXt and EBGaramond files I see similar issues (expect maybe kerning is done with new otf loading).

Sent from Windows Mail

[...]

[-- Attachment #2: test4_newotf.pdf --]

[-- Attachment #3: test4.pdf --]

* Re: More ebgaramond issues (newotf, finding fonts and kerning)
@ 2015-11-02 12:19   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2015-11-02 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 11/2/2015 8:32 AM, josephcanedo@gmail.com wrote:
> Tried locally on W8.1/64 and otherwise same ConTeXt and EBGaramond files
> I see similar issues (expect maybe kerning is done with new otf loading).

i have a fix in the next beta but keep in mind that eb is a moving
target and that each version of the font is different

Hans

> Sent from Windows Mail

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2015-11-02 15:03     ` Rik Kabel
From: Rik Kabel @ 2015-11-02 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2015-11-02 07:19, Hans Hagen wrote:

> i have a fix in the next beta but keep in mind that eb is a moving
> target and that each version of the font is different
>
> Hans

I understand that eb is a moving target. Except for the recognition of
the 12italic, however, this looked more like a newotf issue, and that is
why I thought it important to document.

Thank you for the upcoming fix.

--
Rik