* Current status of epub export and documentation
@ 2015-12-01 15:54 Jan U. Hasecke
From: Jan U. Hasecke @ 2015-12-01 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi all,

I am interested in the epub export feature of ConTeXt/MKIV.

There are a some hints in

epub-mkiv-demo.tex
epub-mkiv.pdf
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/ePub

I am looking for a more detailed example (or documentation) to learn
what is possible and what not.

(Eg. \showsetup{command-name} is not exported to epub)

Does anybody already made a full validated epub ebook with ConTeXt
including cover, titlepage, appendix etc. ?

Is there more information about the current status of the export
feature? A release schedule or roadmap?

Background of my question is that I am looking for a single source
publishing tool for printed books and ebooks.

TIA
juh

* Re: Current status of epub export and documentation
@ 2015-12-01 17:57 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2015-12-01 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2015-12-01 um 21:54 schrieb Jan U. Hasecke <juh+ntg-context@mailbox.org>:

> Hi all,

Hi Jan,

> I am interested in the epub export feature of ConTeXt/MKIV.
> I am looking for a more detailed example (or documentation) to learn
> what is possible and what not.
> Does anybody already made a full validated epub ebook with ConTeXt
> including cover, titlepage, appendix etc. ?

> Background of my question is that I am looking for a single source
> publishing tool for printed books and ebooks.

The current bad documentation on the Wiki is by me.

I produced two commercial ePubs with ConTeXt, but it’s really no fun, and I needed my own scripts that replace ConTeXt’s ePub script.

I’m starting with the "raw" XML export and use XSL (Saxon) to transform it to HTML plus the ePub special ePub files.
After all, a Python (or whatever) script would have been the better solution for this complex conversion.
A CSS that works with most important readers needed also a lot of time. (But that’s a problem of ePub/Readers, not of ConTeXt, of course.)

I can’t recommend ConTeXt as a source for ePub. But I would try it again - and probably start to rewrite the wiki anew, because ConTeXt is a moving target…

Greetlings, Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
https://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

* Re: Current status of epub export and documentation
@ 2015-12-01 18:19   ` Jan U. Hasecke
From: Jan U. Hasecke @ 2015-12-01 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am 01.12.2015 um 18:57 schrieb Henning Hraban Ramm:
> Am 2015-12-01 um 21:54 schrieb Jan U. Hasecke

> The current bad documentation on the Wiki is by me.
>
> I produced two commercial ePubs with ConTeXt, but it’s really no fun,
> and I needed my own scripts that replace ConTeXt’s ePub script.
>
> I’m starting with the "raw" XML export and use XSL (Saxon) to
> transform it to HTML plus the ePub special ePub files. After all, a
> Python (or whatever) script would have been the better solution for
> this complex conversion. A CSS that works with most important readers
> needed also a lot of time. (But that’s a problem of ePub/Readers, not
> of ConTeXt, of course.)
>
> I can’t recommend ConTeXt as a source for ePub. But I would try it
> again - and probably start to rewrite the wiki anew, because ConTeXt
> is a moving target…

Thanks for these clarifications. So we have to wait for improvements. No
problem, in the meantime I'll learn ConTeXt. ;-)

juh