* Problem with first setup of StandAlone ConTeXt
@ 2015-12-14 16:37 Boghosian, Bruce
From: Boghosian, Bruce @ 2015-12-14 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Dear ntg-context@ntg.nl <mailto:ntg-context@ntg.nl>:

I am new to ConTeXt, so if this is not a very good question, please accept my apologies in advance.  I first tried sending this message to the help address at contextgarden.net <http://contextgarden.net/>, and the reply I received suggested that this list would be the more appropriate venue.

I am trying to install ConTeXt on my Mac, and am following the StandAlone ConTeXt instructions on the page:

http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Mac_Installation#Installing_MacTeX <http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Mac_Installation#Installing_MacTeX>

I installed MacTeX without problem, and then tried to follow the instructions for Standalone ConTeXt.  At the end of Section 3.2 on that page, when I tried to execute the command:

> sh ./first-setup.sh --modules=all --engine=luatex

it ran for a minute or so, but ultimately gave me the error message copied below.

> This is LuaTeX, Version beta-0.85.0 (TeX Live 2016/dev) (rev 5550)  (INITEX)
>  system commands enabled.
> (/sw/share/texmf-dist/tex/context/base/cont-en.mkiv (/sw/share/texmf-dist/tex/context/base/context.mkiv (/sw/share/texmf-dist/tex/context/base/syst-ini.mkiv
> ! Undefined control sequence.
> l.842     \pdfminorversion
>                          \plusfive
> ?

It seems that I am missing some kind of software prerequisite, but I am really not sure.  Any suggestions you might have for getting around this problem would be very much appreciated.

Sincerely,
Bruce Boghosian

Bruce M. Boghosian
Professor, Department of Mathematics, Tufts University
Bromfield-Pearson Hall, Medford, Massachusetts 02155, USA

* Re: Problem with first setup of StandAlone ConTeXt
@ 2015-12-15  9:06 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2015-12-15  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 14 December 2015 at 17:37, Boghosian, Bruce wrote:
> Dear ntg-context@ntg.nl:
>
> I am new to ConTeXt, so if this is not a very good question, please accept
> my apologies in advance.  I first tried sending this message to the help
> address at contextgarden.net, and the reply I received suggested that this
> list would be the more appropriate venue.
>
> I am trying to install ConTeXt on my Mac, and am following the StandAlone
> ConTeXt instructions on the page:
>
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Mac_Installation#Installing_MacTeX
>
> I installed MacTeX without problem, and then tried to follow the
> instructions for Standalone ConTeXt.  At the end of Section 3.2 on that
> page, when I tried to execute the command:
>
> sh ./first-setup.sh --modules=all --engine=luatex
>

> it ran for a minute or so, but ultimately gave me the error message copied
> below.
>
> This is LuaTeX, Version beta-0.85.0 (TeX Live 2016/dev) (rev 5550)  (INITEX)
>  system commands enabled.
> (/sw/share/texmf-dist/tex/context/base/cont-en.mkiv
> (/sw/share/texmf-dist/tex/context/base/context.mkiv
> (/sw/share/texmf-dist/tex/context/base/syst-ini.mkiv
> ! Undefined control sequence.
> l.842     \pdfminorversion
>                          \plusfive
> ?

It might help to give us a bit more details. To me this sounds as if
the wrong (some old) version of ConTeXt is being used. You already
said that you didn't use --context=current. It might be that you have
installed ConTeXt with Fink and that the old version from Fink is
somehow taking precedence.

Can you please tell us where you installed the minimals and the output of:
$ cat $(kpsewhich context.mkiv) | grep edef.contextversion
$ echo $PATH
$ which luatex
$ which context
$ export | grep TEX

Mojca

* Re: Problem with first setup of StandAlone ConTeXt
@ 2015-12-15 10:18 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2015-12-15 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 12/14/2015 5:37 PM, Boghosian, Bruce wrote:
> Dear ntg-context@ntg.nl <mailto:ntg-context@ntg.nl>:
>
> I am new to ConTeXt, so if this is not a very good question, please
> accept my apologies in advance.  I first tried sending this message to
> the help address at contextgarden.net <http://contextgarden.net>, and
> the reply I received suggested that this list would be the more
> appropriate venue.
>
> I am trying to install ConTeXt on my Mac, and am following the
> StandAlone ConTeXt instructions on the page:
>
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Mac_Installation#Installing_MacTeX
>
> I installed MacTeX without problem, and then tried to follow the
> instructions for Standalone ConTeXt.  At the end of Section 3.2 on that
> page, when I tried to execute the command:
>
>> sh ../first-setup.sh --modules=all --engine=luatex
>
> it ran for a minute or so, but ultimately gave me the error message
> copied below.
>
>> This is LuaTeX, Version beta-0.85.0 (TeX Live 2016/dev) (rev 5550)
>> (INITEX)
>>  system commands enabled.
>> (/sw/share/texmf-dist/tex/context/base/cont-en.mkiv
>> (/sw/share/texmf-dist/tex/context/base/context.mkiv
>> (/sw/share/texmf-dist/tex/context/base/syst-ini.mkiv
>> ! Undefined control sequence.
>> l.842     \pdfminorversion
>>                          \plusfive
>> ?
>
> It seems that I am missing some kind of software prerequisite, but I am
> really not sure.  Any suggestions you might have for getting around this
> problem would be very much appreciated.

this is strange as the binary and tex sources should be in sync . do
other mac users encounter the same problem?

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2015-12-15 10:29   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2015-12-15 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 15 December 2015 at 11:18, Hans Hagen wrote:

> this is strange as the binary and tex sources should be in sync . do other
> mac users encounter the same problem?

No, it works for me.

But from what I understand the output indicates the latest binary in
combination with old sources, doesn't it?

Mojca

* Re: Problem with first setup of StandAlone ConTeXt
@ 2015-12-15 12:05     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2015-12-15 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 12/15/2015 11:29 AM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On 15 December 2015 at 11:18, Hans Hagen wrote:
>>
>> this is strange as the binary and tex sources should be in sync . do other
>> mac users encounter the same problem?
>
> No, it works for me.
>
> But from what I understand the output indicates the latest binary in
> combination with old sources, doesn't it?

yes

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2015-12-15 12:47   ` Bruce Boghosian
From: Bruce Boghosian @ 2015-12-15 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you very much for your replies.  I have now tried this, both with --context=beta, --context=current, and without a --context flag, and the result is always the same.  The command

$ sh ./first-setup.sh --context=current --modules=all --engine=luatex

returns many errors before giving the error message described.

I installed ConTeXt in $HOME/context/

Below are the requested outputs.  (My home directory has been replaced by [$HOME] in the outputs.)  Note that the first command hung.

$ cat $(kpsewhich context.mkiv) | grep edef.contextversion
warning: kpathsea: configuration file texmf.cnf not found in these directories: /sw/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf.
^C
$ echo $PATH
/Users/[$HOME]/context/tex/texmf-osx-64/bin:/Users/[$HOME]/context/tex/texmf-osx-64:/Users/[$HOME]/texmf/scripts/context/lua:/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/scripts/context/lua:/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/tex/context/base:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:
$ which luatex
/Users/[$HOME]/context/tex/texmf-osx-64/bin/luatex
$ which context
/Users/[$HOME]/context/tex/texmf-osx-64/bin/context
$ export | grep TEX
declare -x TEXMF="/Users/[$HOME]/.texmf-config:/Users/[$HOME]/.texmf-var:/Users/[$HOME]/Library/texmf:/sw/etc/texmf-config:/sw/var/lib/texmf:/sw/share/texmf-local:/sw/share/texmf:/sw/share/texmf-dist"
declare -x TEXMFCACHE="/tmp"
declare -x TEXMFCNF="/sw/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf"
declare -x __CF_USER_TEXT_ENCODING="0x1F6:0x0:0x0"
$

Best regards,
Bruce

@ 2015-12-15 13:47     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2015-12-15 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 15 December 2015 at 13:47, Bruce Boghosian wrote:

> $ export | grep TEX
> declare -x TEXMFCNF="/sw/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf"

You need to remove that environmental variable.

In case that it was deliberately set by Fink, please file a bug report
to Fink because they should not do that. (If you added that variable
yourself, then remove it from .bash_profile or wherever you set it.)

Mojca

* Re: Problem with first setup of StandAlone ConTeXt
@ 2015-12-15 14:11       ` Bruce Boghosian
From: Bruce Boghosian @ 2015-12-15 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Mojca:

It was being set in my .bashrc file.  I have not used fink in years, so I am afraid I do not remember if fink put it there.  In any case, I removed it and restarted the shell, and TEXMFCNF no longer appears in the output below:

$ export | grep TEX
declare -x TEXMF="/Users/bruceb/.texmf-config:/Users/bruceb/.texmf-var:/Users/bruceb/Library/texmf:/sw/etc/texmf-config:/sw/var/lib/texmf:/sw/share/texmf-local:/sw/share/texmf:/sw/share/texmf-dist"
declare -x TEXMFCACHE="/tmp"
declare -x __CF_USER_TEXT_ENCODING="0x1F6:0x0:0x0"
$

...and yet, the problem persists -- again no matter how the --context flag is set.

Would it help if I sent you the full output of the following command?

$ sh ./first-setup.sh --modules=all --engine=luatex

It seems to contain many, many soft errors of the form

resolvers       | globbing | confusing filename, name: 'ChangeLog', lower: 'changelog', already: 'CHANGELOG'

and

resolvers       | resolving | looking for 'texmfcnf.lua' on weird path '/Users/bruceb/context/tex/texmf-osx-64/bin/texmf/web2c' from specification 'selfautoloc:/texmf/web2c'

and

l.40    \c!method=\v!none]

! Undefined control sequence.
<argument> \c!state
         =\v!start
\xprocesscommaitem ...ocesscommaitem \else \if ]#1
                                                  \@EAEAEA \gobbleoneargumen...
<argument> \c!state =\v!start , \c!title
                              =, \c!printable =\v!yes , \c!scope =\v!local , \c
\xdogetparameters #1]->\xprocesscommaitem #1
                                            ,],\@relax@

Best regards,
Bruce

@ 2015-12-15 14:47         ` Jan U. Hasecke
From: Jan U. Hasecke @ 2015-12-15 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am 15.12.2015 um 15:11 schrieb Bruce Boghosian:
> *$ sh ./first-setup.sh --modules=all --engine=luatex*

I solved problems with fonts by not using "sh" but my default shell,
which is bash AFAICS.

Have you tried:

./first-setup.sh --modules=all --engine=luatex*

juh

* Re: Problem with first setup of StandAlone ConTeXt
@ 2015-12-15 14:54           ` Bruce Boghosian
From: Bruce Boghosian @ 2015-12-15 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for your reply.  Interestingly, the command:

$ ./first-setup.sh --modules=all --engine=luatex*

results in the very same error, namely:

@ 2015-12-15 15:20             ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2015-12-15 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 15 December 2015 at 15:54, Bruce Boghosian wrote:
> Thanks for your reply.  Interestingly, the command:
>
> $ ./first-setup.sh --modules=all --engine=luatex*
>
> results in the very same error, namely:
>
> ! Undefined control sequence.
> l.842     \pdfminorversion
>                          \plusfive
> ?

Maybe you should grep for other occurrences of TEXMFCNF in your home
folder? (My bash uses ~/.bash_profile.)

-------------

> It seems to contain many, many soft errors of the form
>
> resolvers       | globbing | confusing filename, name: 'ChangeLog', lower:
> 'changelog', already: 'CHANGELOG'

This is harmless. I believe that Hans is checking for duplicate
filenames (which are a problem in the source tree), but ChangeLog
comes from documentation and duplicates are fine.

> resolvers       | resolving | looking for 'texmfcnf.lua' on weird path
> '/Users/bruceb/context/tex/texmf-osx-64/bin/texmf/web2c' from specification
> 'selfautoloc:/texmf/web2c'
>
> and
>
> l.40    \c!method=\v!none]
>

> ! Undefined control sequence.
> <argument> \c!state
>          =\v!start
> \xprocesscommaitem ...ocesscommaitem \else \if ]#1
>                                                   \@EAEAEA
> \gobbleoneargumen...
> <argument> \c!state =\v!start , \c!title
>                               =, \c!printable =\v!yes , \c!scope =\v!local ,
> \c
> \xdogetparameters #1]->\xprocesscommaitem #1
>                                             ,],\@relax@

That's "progress". Because it means that you are at least using a
different (hopefully proper) version of ConTeXt.

I don't know this particular error though. I hope that others will be
able to help. I'm behind the firewall at the moment, so I can't test.

... oh, and I just noticed one more thing that might be causing the
problem. You also need to remove the TEXMF variable.

Mojca

* Re: Problem with first setup of StandAlone ConTeXt
@ 2015-12-15 17:17               ` Bruce Boghosian
From: Bruce Boghosian @ 2015-12-15 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Mojca:

> On Dec 15, 2015, at 10:20 AM, Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> ... oh, and I just noticed one more thing that might be causing the
> problem. You also need to remove the TEXMF variable.

That fixed it!!!

Thanks very much to everybody for all the informative help and advice.

Best regards,
Bruce

@ 2015-12-15 22:00                 ` Bruce Boghosian
From: Bruce Boghosian @ 2015-12-15 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have made good progress today, thanks to the help of this list.  Thanks!

I can now run the example on the First Document <http://wiki.contextgarden.net/First_Document> web page, running ConTeXt from the command line.  That works perfectly.

When I try to run the same file from within TeXShop, however, it tells me:

> !  Undefined control sequence.
> l.2  \startsection
> 		[title={Testing ConTeXt}]
> ?

I have created the file "ConTeXt Suite.engine" in directory ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines, per the instructions on the Mac Installation <http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Mac_Installation> web page.

So I am not sure why TeXShop does not know about \startsection.  I would be grateful for your advice on this.

Sincerely,
Bruce

@ 2015-12-16  7:27                   ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2015-12-16  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Bruce,

If you want to use your standalone version of ConTeXt, you should create a specific « .engine » file for this and then in TeXShop use that engine. Here is what I have when I typeset a file in TeXShop using mkiv ConTeXt:

%%%%% begin file mkiv.engine

#!/bin/bash

export PATH=/Volumes/OK/context-minimal/tex/texmf-osx-64/bin:$PATH
context --synctex=zipped --autogenerate "$1" --purgeall

%%%%% end file mkiv.engine

you should replace the line « export PATH=…. » by the path to your installation of ConTeXt.

Best regards: OK
PS: regarding the installation and updates of ConTeXt on Mac, Thomas Floren has written a nice Apple Script which you can find here:
Name: Ctx_typeset Tool
Web page: <http://dflect.net/context-typeset-tool/>
Author: Thomas Floeren <tom@dflect.net>

@ 2015-12-16 16:10                     ` Bruce Boghosian
From: Bruce Boghosian @ 2015-12-16 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Otared:

Thank you for your reply.

I had indeed created the file "ConTeXt Suite.engine" in directory ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines, per the instructions on the Mac Installation web page.  That web page recommended a tcsh shell version of your bash shell script.  I suppose that either should be fine; at this point, I have tried both.  Of course, I changed the path variable to include my local installation of ConTeXt.

Then I noticed that your engine was named "mkiv.engine," rather than "ConTeXt Suite.engine," so I tried that as well.

As of this morning, none of the above tactics seem to succeed in getting TeXShop to recognize ConTeXt.  When I try to process the test file from within TeXShop, it continues to terminate with the error that it does not recognize the command \startsection.

Again, however, everything works just fine from the command line.  So I think that the ConTeXt installation is fine.

Also, FWIW, I note that de Boer's document, "LaTeX in proper ConTeXt" recommends compiling from the command line using texexec rather than context.  This does not work for me.  The command "texexec" exists, and I can run it, but it does not produce a .pdf file -- just a .tmp file.

Anyway, sorry for the newcomer questions.  Once I get over this hurdle, so that I can run ConTeXt easily from within TeXShop, I am confident that I will be able to learn the language without bothering the list so frequently.

@ 2015-12-16 16:25                       ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2015-12-16 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 16 December 2015 at 17:10, Bruce Boghosian wrote:

> Also, FWIW, I note that de Boer's document, "LaTeX in proper ConTeXt"
> recommends compiling from the command line using texexec rather than
> context.  This does not work for me.  The command "texexec" exists, and I
> can run it, but it does not produce a .pdf file -- just a .tmp file.

That document is a very old one. Nowadays context is preferred to
texexec (also known as Mark II or MkII). If you installed context with
--engines=luatex you explicitly did not installed prerequisites for
Mark II (pdftex with fonts etc.).

Mojca

* Re: Problem with first setup of StandAlone ConTeXt
@ 2015-12-16 16:34                         ` Bruce Boghosian
From: Bruce Boghosian @ 2015-12-16 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

I see, thanks.  I did use --engines=luatex.  I was aware that Mark II had been superseded by Mark IV, but I hadn't realized that texexec was the same thing as Mark II.  OK, so I won't worry about that issue any more.

It seems that my only remaining problem is the aforementioned TeXShop issue.  I will keep working on it.

Best,
Bruce

@ 2015-12-16 16:48                           ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2015-12-16 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Bruce,

You have three solutions in order to solve the TeXShop issue. Here they are:

Solution 1: add the following line at the top of your source file:

%!TEX TS-program = mkiv

Note that in the above you should replace « mkiv » with whatever engine name known to your TeXShop installation (for instance « ContextSuite», or any other name you have, or (may God forgive both of us…) even « latex »…). When you typeset with ConTeXt, the TeXShop will use the chosen engine.

Solution 2: when your source file is open you should have at the top your window a small menu named « Program ». Click on that menu and among the programs (that is the engines) choose th eone you want.

Solution 3: open the TeXShop Preferences and in the « Typesetting » pane , on the upper left part of the resulting window choose the radio button « Command listed below » and type the name of your preferred engine.

Best regards: OK

@ 2015-12-17 13:54                             ` Bruce Boghosian
From: Bruce Boghosian @ 2015-12-17 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Otared:

Thank you very much!  The third solution works very well when I select the "ConTeXt-MKIV" program.

I am still experimenting with the other two solutions, but at least I now have a method to get started learning ConTeXt.

Best regards,
Bruce

       [not found] <mailman.1.1450177201.3279.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2015-12-15 12:26 ` Robert Blackstone
From: Robert Blackstone @ 2015-12-15 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 15 Dec 2015, at 12:00 ,  Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote

> this is strange as the binary and tex sources should be in sync . do
> other mac users encounter the same problem?

No problem here. Works perfectly.
Robert Blackstone